Simmons Pads and Roland V-Drum module

Johnny Cat

Anyone have any experience with old Simmons Pads, Roland V-Drum interfaces, or both?? I want to add electronics to my kit just for some samples and the like. Figured I'd just go with some old Simmons Pads that I can get for dirt cheap. I'm wondering if I would run into any problems using a Roland Interface? Will they work okay together? Thanks.

The Alien Drummer

Hey Johnny Cat, I have an old Yamaha PTX8 that I still use but with newer Roland pads. No problems with them jiving. I not sure what you mean by adding samples though. If you plan on triggering a sampler it will need to be a midi unit. I'm off this month and will be trying to connect via midi the old yamaha unit with the newer Roland unit. I don't anticipate any problems, I'll let you know though.

Johnny Cat

Hey man good to hear from you. By samples I just meant that I wanted to add some electronic sounds to my acoustic kit, but I didn't want to go all out and buy a Roland kit or anything because I'm not looking for anything that elaborate ($$$$), and I don't really want to trigger my acoustic drums, so I figured adding a couple of pads here and there as toms would be the way to go.

Just wondering what I could go with that is cheap (ie. probably used and found on eBay) but still decent. Any old type of pads and unit would do I suppose. Thanks for any suggestions!

The Alien Drummer

For an 80's unit I REALLY like my PTX8. It doesn't have a lot of true drum sounds but has good electronic sounding drums. It has 8 inputs for pads or triggers and it's midi so you could run it in to keyboards/samplers later. You can edit every wave almost endlessly and you have 32 different "kits" you can make. They sell on ebay cheap, but then you'll have to add some pads. I've had since new '88.