show tonight, help please?

rundylanrunn

i always take my snare out of the van and take it home the day before a show so i can make sure i have it all tuned up nice before we play.

i was messing with it today, because at practice yesterday it developed a pretty bad ring. and now i can't get it to go away.

it's all top head ring, messing with the bottom head really doesn't affect it at all. there is a good snare sound at the initial hit but the overtones literally ring for like 2 seconds.

the head i'm using is a remo emperor x, so i don't see how too much ring is a problem, i've heard people complaining that this head dries the drum out too much.

any thoughts? the drum is a grestch catalina mod 10ply mahogany. snare side head is an ambassador snare side.

rundylanrunn

i'd have to go buy one before we play.

and if i was to do that i'd just go get a new head.

but i don't understand how this head is ringing so much. i used to play coated ambassadors on my snare and even they didn't ring like this.

Mitchell?

I think it's time for a new head.

But, I have heard that if you tune one lug down a little bit, it removes overtones.

But I mean, it was just some random thing on the internet so IDK if it would actually work....

rundylanrunn

yeah i tried that earlier. it didn't help so much.

i guess it's time for a new head. i don't feel like i've had that one so long but i guess i have.

rundylanrunn

yeah i tried that earlier. it didn't help so much.

i guess it's time for a new head. i don't feel like i've had that one so long but i guess i have.

EOTE_drummer

aren't those supposed to be like indestructable? like the TITANIC of all drum heads.

well the titanic did sink......

EOTE_drummer

aren't those supposed to be like indestructable? like the TITANIC of all drum heads.

well the titanic did sink......

PDP9000

I have had the same problem the snare has a bad ring after i hit it and i have the same head
as you do on it. I usallly just stick a moon gell on it and it usally goes away but im going to
buy diffrent snare head to see if its really the head or just the snare ring.

Vanden

I just put a new Emporer X on my snare to. I dont really like it to be honest. It just sounds so flat and dead.

rundylanrunn

seems like it's pretty varied on different drums (duh)

just found out that the head i bought yesterday seperated from the hoop, so i'm going to go and try to get it replaced today.

GALLUCH1215

If you don't want to go out and buy a dampening ring to get rid of the ring all together than get a bandana fold one corner to the one across from it to make a triangles and then fold the bottom in 2 inches then again (like making a headband) and then put it right at the top of the snare like on the Remo logo. It gets rid of the ring completely and it's really simple and only costs a dollar.

TheLoneGunman

GALLUCH1215":kiu42kjm said:
If you don't want to go out and buy a dampening ring to get rid of the ring all together than get a bandana fold one corner to the one across from it to make a triangles and then fold the bottom in 2 inches then again (like making a headband) and then put it right at the top of the snare like on the Remo logo. It gets rid of the ring completely and it's really simple and only costs a dollar.
No, clothes are for wearing not for making music. You can make rings out of old heads. I like overtones from my snare, but I keep a ring around in case I need to to get rid of the overtones real quick. But I like having both options, it's more versatile.

dedrummervanrolf

AmnestysLowEnd":4l0fsy9c said:
I find that emporer x's only sound great when cranked pretty tight. CS are easier to tune high and they are pretty dry.
I would pick a CS over an Emperor X every day. They are pretty dry too, but give more than enough overtones if you want them too. I always use it on my 14" snares, coated ambassador on 13" though.

rundylanrunn

GALLUCH1215":3nt6qlzj said:
yeah i could see that getting rid of the ring. but i could also see it falling off!!

what i ended up doing last night, cause it still had a little more ring than i wanted, it was reallllly coming through the mic too, was took two 5 inch strips of duct tape and put them on two ends of the head as far from the center as they could get. i don't think by any means that it's a good way to go about solving anything, but if you're in a hurry and don't have time to fine tune it works great.

do you think putting tape on the underside of the head would have the same effect? i hate the look of having tape on the drum.

Mitchell?

Putting tape on the reso would probably kill too much snare response to work.

It seems that the batter usually are responsible for any high-end uncontrollable overtones.

In the studio I just stick a moongel on the very edge.