Shell wood types

What would be a good wood type for blues drumming? I'm in a blues band with a rock set but I'm not sure it would be great for blues. I'm not really educated as far as wood-types go so that would be cool if someone could help me with that. Thanks.

Shalaq

You can't judge woods by the music you play. Every wood can be used in every musical setting. It's the sound you're looking for that matters.

drumbeast420

I agree that you should not base your kit off of the music you will be playing. First off, who knows if it is going to pan out. Then what? Buy a new kit with each band? I have finally reached a place in life where I am able to start my collection. I have birch drums, maple drums, mahogony drums, etc... I think it is all subjective. Get a kit that sounds good to you and anyone who knows anything will approve. I read somewhere one that maple are best for live settings and birch is better for the studio. I do feel that is somewhat true, but I have used both in each situation with great results. I have heard really cheap sets sound great and really expesnive sets sound like ass. Knowing how to find that sweet spot in tuning each drum will make a huge difference. Heads do make a difference as well. Coated will ring more than oil filled. If you are really just trying to get that vintage sound, look up what some old blues drummers used and that might be a good starting point. I must say my maple Grestch kick is the punchiest kick I have ever played and I love it. You can feel it in your chest. So, think about what you are really wanting to do and base your decision off of that. Good luck man!

Owloalx

well, the diff types of wood often used in drums are mohogany, maple, and birch, mohogany wood is used for a deeper pitch, birch for a higher pitch, and maple for a medium pitch, so for blues, I'd suggest mohogany.

Sway

if you dont have money to get a new kit its all about how you tune em and the heads you put on em man. Ive learned that people dont really care or notice that they might not sound just right. I mean its just us educated guys that prefer that so sometimes you have to put aside your head and all you know and just make the best of what you have. Im pretty sure that about 90 percent of your audience wont be able to tell the difference between birch and maple or whatever.

Bowmanator

Pearl Master Mahogany Classic. if you can find one of these, thats the best mahogany kit out there. They put maple reinforcement rings in there the enhance attack, but the low end punch and beef is awesome. I love maple, but I would love to pick up one of those for a gigging kit.

Birch doesnt project as well but records really easily and sounds fantastic, has nice highs and lows, give a "natural" EQ effect, (you know how you raise the bass and treble in your car stereo because it sounds better, yeah.....same idea with birch). Hence the awesome attack and sharpness.

Maple the best all around for any situation because of the dominant midrange which humans naturally hear louder than other frequencies, which is why maple sounds so pleasing and loud, its what we are predisposed to hear clearly.

Best bet, just play the kits and find one you fancy.