Shannon Lucas

shiebcte

Any one heard the new Black Dahlia Murder CD? what are your thoughts on shannon's drumming? i thought he did a really good job. not as impressive as zack gibson on miasma but still pretty damn good.

disrupt13

id like to hear this. i remember when everyone was talking crap about him, and then seen him play and started kissing his arse'

Mr.Smash

The new album is really good... I've only listened to it a few times so far. Unhallowed is still one of my favorite cds of all time.

dahlgrendrummer

I honestly can't tell the difference between him and Zach for the simple fact EVERYTHING is hit replaced on both of those CDs. I think Shannon breaks it up better and his double bass skills are better, and he can probably pull it off live, which Zach could NOT. Kevin Talley and I jam when he's home and he was telling me that Miamsa is completely hit replaced, even cymbals. Talley was awesome with them, he played they're stuff to the T, he wrote it all out and had the sheet music beside him when he played with them.

Not to rant but, I'm glad production quality in extreme metal has gotten a lot better, but the drums are just fucked around with WAY too much nowadays. I hate listening to 90% of these recordings and just knowing for a fact what I'm listening to is actually hours of clever pro-tools editing and a VST drum-kit from hell plug in. It's OK to move a slightly off bass drum hit or snare hit, or to maybe give a weak snare hit a boost in gain every once in a while, but to replace a whole track is just recockulos. *Sigh* technology sucks the life out of music even more. Then you pay hard earned money to see one of these bands that utilize this practice (IE seeing TBDM at Ozzfest in 05) and the drummer sucks wind and can't do HALF of whats recorded, lame I say, LAME!!!!

iatemygoat

dahlgrendrummer":161h1n72 said:
I honestly can't tell the difference between him and Zach for the simple fact EVERYTHING is hit replaced on both of those CDs. I think Shannon breaks it up better and his double bass skills are better, and he can probably pull it off live, which Zach could NOT. Kevin Talley and I jam when he's home and he was telling me that Miamsa is completely hit replaced, even cymbals. Talley was awesome with them, he played they're stuff to the T, he wrote it all out and had the sheet music beside him when he played with them.

Not to rant but, I'm glad production quality in extreme metal has gotten a lot better, but the drums are just fucked around with WAY too much nowadays. I hate listening to 90% of these recordings and just knowing for a fact what I'm listening to is actually hours of clever pro-tools editing and a VST drum-kit from hell plug in. It's OK to move a slightly off bass drum hit or snare hit, or to maybe give a weak snare hit a boost in gain every once in a while, but to replace a whole track is just recockulos. *Sigh* technology sucks the life out of music even more. Then you pay hard earned money to see one of these bands that utilize this practice (IE seeing TBDM at Ozzfest in 05) and the drummer sucks wind and can't do HALF of whats recorded, lame I say, LAME!!!!
*makes gesture as if picking something up* you dropped this.

as for the CD i think Sahnnon did an amazing job. at first i thought that zach gibson did a better job on Miasma but ive only heard the CD twice. i have to listen to an album a few times before i can appreciate everything. but so far i think its amazing!

xdoseonex

when i was at namm they saw me playing drums. and they came and found me and said they were looking for a new drummer. we walked aroundfor a while lookig for a nice looking set and i played a bit for them. they took down my information and stuff but they never called me. I guess they found someone

iatemygoat

xdoseonex":1sudc54y said:
when i was at namm they saw me playing drums. and they came and found me and said they were looking for a new drummer. we walked aroundfor a while lookig for a nice looking set and i played a bit for them. they took down my information and stuff but they never called me. I guess they found someone
wow awsome!

shiebcte

xdoseonex":25kdsi1n said:
thats amazing. the way they go through drummers, dont get your hopes down until the next album haha

dahlgrendrummer

shiebcte":1i696qtx said:
xdoseonex":1i696qtx said:
thats amazing. the way they go through drummers, dont get your hopes down until the next album haha
Lawl :)

disrupt13

right, he played all the songs perfect?
wrong. sure you seen the youtube vids.
dude, zach did get sloppy yea, but how Brian treated him i cant say i blame him.

hit replaced, my ass, thats what kevin talley said about all that remains also.
jealous?

dahlgrendrummer

disrupt13":33o2oqjh said:
right, he played all the songs perfect?
wrong. sure you seen the youtube vids.
dude, zach did get sloppy yea, but how Brian treated him i cant say i blame him.

hit replaced, my ass, thats what kevin talley said about all that remains also.
jealous?

Dude, once you go and record at a real metal catering studio, you will know :) They almost ALWAYS mix samples and your real tone together, this is to give the sheer speed of most metal drumming the consistency it needs to sound good. For example, my band is going to record at Salad Days studios with Mike Scheilbaum this winter, we are in the pre production phase right now. The road map for the drums is this:

1) Go in, map click tracks out, fine tune the tempos.

2) Find the drum tones, replace any odd sounding drums with ones that are known to work with the room.

3) Find overlapping samples sounds that match the drums natural tone color, use these for the attack.

4) Record each track, oh about 10 times for each song :(

5) Find the best fills, tightest grooves out of each song, cut and paste together the best of the best from all 10 tracks.

6) Edit each track until it's tighter than a ducks asshole, IE remove the slop if there is any.

Thats how 40% of what you hear drumming-wise on a metal record is recorded nowadays. Some go even as far to just make a midi map of the drums utilizing triggers and a midi interface, then using a VST like Drumagog or Drum Kit From Hell to replace the midi notes with samples, this is probably the other 60%. Now, is this necessarily cheating? To a purist, yes, to a drummer who plays a lot of faster stuff that doesn't get picked up very well through traditional micing techniques, no. Derek Roddy uses the good-ole traditional micing techniques, as does George Kollias. You know what? The drums on the records they've done doing this are HARD TO HEAR. I think Roddy is the fucking man for doing it this way, but when he gets going on those really fast fills on Behold Judas it's hard to tell exactly what he's doing unless you've seen him do it. After seeing the MANY ways metal can be done, I can smell the production nuances from a mile away. As for All That Remains, I know Adam D's production style, it's about the same as Scheilbaum's roadmap, so it's a least samples mixed with real drums. When Mike Justain was still with Unearth he INSISTED that they go to a studio and didn't use a click or hit replacement, thats why they went to Terry Date to record, he still uses tape. Talley told me ALL of his tracks on the Chimiria record he did were 100% hit replaced, even the fucking cymbals were tooled with!! The Daath record was the same to get consistency because there were three drummers on the recording. I heard the Daath tracks of Talley's raw drums, much much different sounding.

Talley playing with BDM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x58nWLhERb8

Pretty damn good if you ask me...

disrupt13

ive seen the vids man, but i have seen people play it better than him,

to him, everyone copies and paste their work, and hes flawless.

dahlgrendrummer

disrupt13":lc614xx0 said:
ive seen the vids man, but i have seen people play it better than him,

to him, everyone copies and paste their work, and hes flawless.

Actually quite the contrary. Every album he's made the past 4 years has been done in the same fashion he told me. He's kind of getting sick of it, I can see why, you work hard to perfect your craft and some dude makes you sound like a robot after editing your tracks for a week. Man you think drummers in metal bands toy with they're tracks, guitarist have it even worse. They cut the click down to half time so they can use all down strokes for the picking and then they set the click back, it makes the guitars sound ssooo tight.

dahlgrendrummer

disrupt13":9liscxk8 said:
dragonforce
Hahaha, those dudes are INHUMAN guitarists playing BAD music. Mike Scheilbaum was telling us when Darkest Hour went to Vancouver to work with Devin Townsend the first time he had them do that. He said the tightness of the guitar tracks he and Kris did was sick (and it is). I'll tell you what, that last track on Nocturnal Shannon does some sick kick drum work, check that track out.

Another band that does this kind of melodic death metal (IE At The Gates with a little more umph) just had a record come out, Through The Eyes Of The Dead, that record is pretty good too. Me and my buddy Jamie are arguing which record is better.

disrupt13

Pete sandoval, i cant remember which album, but he faked the d/b, its fucking dissapointing man, why you gonna call it drums or music if it is a computer?

id never edit my shit.