Sets with one rack tom really bother me

Hack_and_Slash

Not only when playing on one, but also looking at them. idk why. lol

So instead of wasting this thread on a short rant, I'll ask you this. Which do you prefer...single or multiple rack toms?

disrupt13

sincerely you only need one for shows, unless you have a lot of wack tom fills, aka brann dailor from mastodon,

ut at home i got 3 rack toms and 3 floors, you want to know whats really frigging ugly?

double bass kits with one rack tom.

iatemygoat

disrupt13":234cajyv said:
sincerely you only need one for shows, unless you have a lot of wack tom fills, aka brann dailor from mastodon,

ut at home i got 3 rack toms and 3 floors, you want to know whats really frigging ugly?

haha i dont think ive ever seen one of those.

honestly i dont care what your setup is. as long as its comfortable and works for you. personally i like to put crazy multiple tom fills in a lot of songs so i have 3 rack toms and one floor tom.

dave lynch

iatemygoat":8z2a983h said:
disrupt13":8z2a983h said:

haha i dont think ive ever seen one of those.

honestly i dont care what your setup is. as long as its comfortable and works for you. personally i like to put crazy multiple tom fills in a lot of songs so i have 3 rack toms and one floor tom.
I guess I'm kinda crazee...For some reason I think it looks cool..2 kicks and 1 rack..It looks speedster to me....there have been times where I'll play some kit at a Jam Night or somethin and it'll have 1 rack and just a couple of cymbles and I'll frickin rock on it..Then I get to thinkin mannn..so simple and easy to lug around and easy to mike up and all that stuff...For some reason I don't do it..I'll still set up all that suff..hook up all those mics..haul around my sub mixer and snake...etc.. Oh yeah, it seems easier to tune em and alot less costly for heads and..ah hell you know..!!! Haha

dave lynch

Hack_and_Slash":32oc3fsm said:
I feel so naked behind only one tom. ugh. lol
Yea me too..My head is always thinking melodic as far as things like slower fills with a combo of toms singin with nice long tones...But jeeezzz...Ummm..Buddy Rich ? What more can I say about players like that..!!

BillRayDrums

I love one rack tom. Especially when someone sits in who is used to two or more. They get confused by simplicity. :)

Hey, I was there once!! Actually I've been using two rack toms lately. It's driving everyone (including me) crazy so I think I'll switch back to one tom up front, if not just to piss off the OP of this thread. ;)

dave lynch

BillRayDrums":3p0m2rnh said:
I love one rack tom. Especially when someone sits in who is used to two or more. They get confused by simplicity. :)

Hey, I was there once!! Actually I've been using two rack toms lately. It's driving everyone (including me) crazy so I think I'll switch back to one tom up front, if not just to piss off the OP of this thread. ;)
The other night I got to thinkin about breaking out my old Sonor kit..12,13,14,15, and 18 inch toms and a 24 inch kick..I was thinkin of trying some real thick heads and goin with the 12" rack, 15' rack mounted floor and the 18" floor with feet..I was thinking of trying out droppin the 12 almost even with the snare..I've never tried that before and it sounds like fun...My Sonors are 9 ply beechwood and real thick..They have a real deep tone...A couple of crashes and a ride and that's it..I dunno..Just sounds like fun..!!

Potatoe Snack

i've seen people do bigger better fills on one rack and one floor than i've seen alot of drummers do on huge kits. i personally like 3 rack toms and one floor tom but rock on if you can do something big on something small.

mortem

around a month ago I removed the 2nd tom and rearranged the cybals just for the hell of it, and I must say I'm pretty happy with my new setup!

Hack_and_Slash

dave lynch":25sbpimn said:
Hack_and_Slash":25sbpimn said:
Yea me too..My head is always thinking melodic as far as things like slower fills with a combo of toms singin with nice long tones
Wow you explained that perfectly. I'm also into the slower fills right now. I love to here the toms sing.

But I must admit, using only one rack tom does cause creativeness. It's a nice challenge playing on someone else's set but I would never take one of my toms off of my own set.

Alcyon

I dropped my right rack tom to pull in my ride closer, and now I'm going to experiment with putting the tom back and shifting the first tom onto my cymbal stand, so basically I'll still have two rack toms but with my ride tight to my right hand. We'll see how using a second tom goes now that I've evolved a bit in my playing.

dave lynch

Hack_and_Slash":1lgziig8 said:
dave lynch":1lgziig8 said:
Hack_and_Slash":1lgziig8 said:
Yea me too..My head is always thinking melodic as far as things like slower fills with a combo of toms singin with nice long tones
Wow you explained that perfectly. I'm also into the slower fills right now. I love to here the toms sing.

But I must admit, using only one rack tom does cause creativeness. It's a nice challenge playing on someone else's set but I would never take one of my toms off of my own set.
Well I do agree about the creative thing, but creativity can come from all directions..I have a friend that is a guitar player and he told me he'll ply Marry Had A Little Lamb on my ride cymble..I swear he did it..Haha....Oh yeah if you remember that I stated havin one tom with two kicks looks like it would be a speedster kit, But I do know what you mean about the slower fills..When I say slower it doesn't mean the tempo is slow all the time but what you do within a bar or two..Steve Smith is great at that..One on my favorites..!!

Solix

I kind of like having one rack tom. And I really don't remember why I went back to two racks... it just happened one day. But I'll probably go back to just one (and it'll probably be my 13" tom, bwahahahahaha!!!!) eventually.

Homki890

I use two rack toms, however one of them is in the floor tome position. 14x11. Nice drum. So, yeah, one rack tom up there on the bass drum. I like it, jazz kit, get some groovy things out of it, and simple too.

Homki890

MikeyVPT

At a jazz gig, I was running hella late, so I packed my snare, kick, hh, floor tom (feet), and ride (acoustic set, not my RET kit). I left my rack with two toms altogether... is that crazy?! Yes. But, it was wonderful. It did create something new and made me more creative. I felt so open and connected with the other players, the audience... it was great. Check that out... you've got to!

-MikeyVPT

Spydr2000

I went from using a 9pc kit to a 4 pc kit.. I'll tell ya what a difference, it really made you think. But I was able to convert everything I played on that 9pc on to the 4pc. Right now I'm thinking of adding another rack tom because going smaller made me a much better player and now I'm ready to expand to see if I can come up with more creative fills.

trstn

I had 1 rack tom (12") for over 10 years and bought the new set which had more toms :) So now I'm happy with 10 12 14 16. In a different band I had no Rack tom at all just a floor. But there is this Bonham set I recently saw on Youtube with 14" Rack and 16 and 18 floor. If I really would have the money to buy another set, that'll be it. (24" kick, blue acryl Ludwig, *drool*)

I change my set for every band/project I'm with. Sometime more sometimes less. It's not the question of how many toms one has. It's all about the approach to the music. In the new band I like to play lots of "tom parts" so I need more toms and I'm thinking about adding 2 octabans. The other band playing down to earth low tuned mid tempo rock riffs does not need lots of tom fills and fancy stuff. Just the beat.

trstn

Rob Crisp

Did a gig a while back in London and leant another guy my kit. He didn't want any toms at all, snare, kick and bass.....

Personally, for me, I like 2 rack, two floor, but for gigs with band, it's 1 up front 2 floor.

iatemygoat

Rob Crisp":3dxwbj2k said:
Did a gig a while back in London and leant another guy my kit. He didn't want any toms at all, snare, kick and bass.....

Personally, for me, I like 2 rack, two floor, but for gigs with band, it's 1 up front 2 floor.
so do you practice with 2 rack toms with the bands and play shows with 1? that would really difficult for me. i used another guys kit at a show once with one rack tom and two floors toms and i had a hell of time trying to convert my fills on that seeing how i have 3 rack toms.