Seat height

METALCHRIS

I was doing some pre-production, and the producer(also a drummer...GREAT!!) said if I raised my seat up it might help some ISSUES i was having

I have been playing for about 12 yrs or so with the throne pretty much as low as it would go. I tried it the way he wanted, it will take time to adjust.

Just wondering what height you guys play at?

Animal

I sit fairly high on the stool, I'll say.

I'm about 186 cm's high, and my drum-stool is adjusted to the point were my thighs angle slightly downwards.

I find it easier than the "usual" way to position your drum-stool, whitch is basically way too low.

drummert2k

seat height is mostly personal preferance. although sitting with your leg as close to a 90 degree anlge as possible gives you an even balance between playing heel up and heel down, you have to just mess around to see whats most comfortable. i personaly sit with my leg a little higher than a 90 degree angle but i also do very little heal down work. just mess around with it and see what feels best to you. its all about feeling comfortable.

Chad Scott

METALCHRIS":3xq2mqgo said:
I was doing some pre-production, and the producer(also a drummer...GREAT!!) said if I raised my seat up it might help some ISSUES i was having

I have been playing for about 12 yrs or so with the throne pretty much as low as it would go. I tried it the way he wanted, it will take time to adjust.

Rip

if i feel my abs tighten to play my bass drum, I'm too low. I like my thighs parrallell but slightly downward and my snare and floor tom high enough to not hit my legs. I want all my energy to transfer into my arms and feet and not used for sitting at the kit.

downshifter99

I sit with my legs slightly angled down(almost straight).

My snare is 1 1/2 inches higher(as well as my mounted tom)so,that way it is comfortable to get good rim-shots with out having to have my arms way up in the rafters.

What is comfortable is right! :twisted:

BillRayDrums

Seat height has to do with one's center of gravity. I am 6'4" and sit at the lowest position a regular throne will allow me to. (personal choice- Roc-n-Soc)

I find that shorter drummers tend to sit higher, as their center of gravity is slightly different. Then again, there's such issues as how long your legs are, if you have a longer torso, etc.

m

I came from playing bass guitar, where it 'looks cooler' to sling your guitar low, so they said. However, that really impedes technique.

I could see where it might be similar with throne height.
I haven't really examined all the diffferences- but I know I'm comfortable sitting higher, not lower.

mikey

A good position that seems to work well with most body mechanics is sitting at just above 90 degrees, so that when you fully lift up your heel your thigh is level. But hey... this is music... do what feels good to ya

Copelandesque

Im a Puny 5'9" . i have my seat so my thighs run parralel to the floor. and that my legs are at a 90 degree angle. I play a bit of double pedal, but aint dave lombardo.. so my legs arent getting tight or strained.

Johnny Cat

METALCHRIS":upyyg4pm said:

I don't think anyone else has asked, but what kind of issues exactly are you having? Changing your seat height could very well do the trick, but it might solve some problems for you and create other ones as a trade off.

NWCrusher

I've had issues over the years also, but a good seat does help in finding ones "sweet spot". I use the Roc n Soc hydraulic seat (it's got a bit of bounce to it), and I position myself to where the top of my legs are pretty straight with the shell of the kick, or in other words a straight line across.

Good posture helps also, and it's helped in the overall positioning. IMO, sitting too low makes it a struggle, and sitting too high doesn't give a drummer enough leg power. It is a preferrence thing, but for myself, I found my medium.

I sit as low as the seat will go. It puts my legs at a 90 degree angle, and it makes it easier for me to play. I tried sitting higher, but I wasn't able to get the power out of the kick drum that I normally can.