Searching for Sanity

\m/-Kyon-\m/

Im having one of those days where im just not feeling my grooves at all. I feel like I suck and it ruins my whole day when im like that. It feels like i cant learn anything new and all my rythms are off and stuff. Is this normal? And what should I do on days like this?

drummerduba

\m/-Kyon-\m/":13rl7loz said:
Im having one of those days where im just not feeling my grooves at all. I feel like I suck and it ruins my whole day when im like that. It feels like i cant learn anything new and all my rythms are off and stuff. Is this normal? And what should I do on days like this?
i agree

just take a break

u r lucky though....at one point i lost the feel for drumming for a whole 2 weeks
really didnt know why...

after a rest and comin back 2 the kit i felt refreshed and relaxed

Timekeep69

I agre. Take a break. I've had days like that too. Even to the point where I was playing so badly that I thought maybe it was time to give up drumming but them the next practice, I play like I've never played before.

BillRayDrums

I'm having one of those days too. Only thing is, I HAVE to go and play (I have a gig tonight) so I'd BETTER come up with something inspired. :)

Oh yeah and I bought an acoustic Guitar today. A Tacoma brand. It sounds godlike. :)

JAdrums2k

Yea.... take a break from it for a bit.
It's hard to force something that comes naturally, the more you try the more frustrated you're going to get.

I've had lots of days like that... Sometimes I'll just play through it.

But keep in mind, you don't have to blaze through everytime you play. What seems boring and inventive can actually be pretty productive.

Potatoe Snack

BillRayDrums":wnji1exr said:
I'm having one of those days too. Only thing is, I HAVE to go and play (I have a gig tonight) so I'd BETTER come up with something inspired. :)

Oh yeah and I bought an acoustic Guitar today. A Tacoma brand. It sounds godlike. :)
its gotta suck when you really CANT just put down the sticks and say "tomorrow"

stephenchong

dwtoast72":20p3202h said:
put your stix down, have a beer and come back to it tomorrow... it's just one of those days
I don't agree. Sometimes i felt that way and decided to 'come back tomorrow'. Yet tomorrow awaits another tomorrow. I don't know if its just me but i do feel lazy in this situation. I decided to go to the internet and find some inspiration or something to relight my flame to drumming. Youtube and Drumsmylife work wonders. :D Point is, maybe you need to rethink and find back your interest to drumming during this kind of situations ?

imjeffcanudigit

stephenchong":1sg3jtt8 said:
dwtoast72":1sg3jtt8 said:
put your stix down, have a beer and come back to it tomorrow... it's just one of those days
I don't agree. Sometimes i felt that way and decided to 'come back tomorrow'. Yet tomorrow awaits another tomorrow. I don't know if its just me but i do feel lazy in this situation. I decided to go to the internet and find some inspiration or something to relight my flame to drumming. Youtube and Drumsmylife work wonders. :D Point is, maybe you need to rethink and find back your interest to drumming during this kind of situations ?
i agree with you and id say its good to learn how to deal with theses types of days so you dont have that being a problem as much.

stump

When I have days like that and HAVE to play I just try to simplify things a bit. Don't over play. Even if you modify your playing some, alot of people are not going to notice. Be confident in your ability and roll with it. On the other hand....If you have the next day off....step back and regroup. Everyone has bad days behind the kit. Peace on ya!

mrgreenjeans2234

i kinda agree with everbody
i would say when you have thouse days
stop for a while just kinda relax because if
you keep pushing mentaly your going to
beat yourself down pointing out every terrible
fill and such. so take a break relax a little.
and then a couple of hours later come back
(streched out of course)
and just play without think just listen to
the song and groove with the song
youll be amazed at what you can do
when you dont think when you drum

dont do the whole come back tommorow thing
because like other have said youll just trick yourself
in belive today your a begginer tommorw your peart
itll create a whole mental block of playing.

BillRayDrums

Dedication is one of those things where if you are not feelin' your groove, you go on to do something pertinent to your craft no matter what. Grab a rudiment sheet and some sticks and a pad. See where that takes you.

The relentless pursuit of your goal is something that you can't let a bad day get in front of. Just sitting down at the drums and expecting a flood of ideas is not something that can happen 100% of the time, so you have to work other areas of the talent.

BTW there's three kinds of talent- Physical, mental, and emotional talent. As if having paradiddles and triplets was not enough...now you have three different levels of development to consider.

Rockula!

Maybe you need to explore some radically different musical styles
I was just about ready to completely give up drums a few years ago
That's when I got into some of the weirdest and most obscure music I could find
Now, I am making music that people are honestly remarking "I've never heard anything like that"
The point is that I started thinking in different directions and textures
By changing the way I wrote music, I changed the way the music came out
Maybe get involved in elctronics
They allow someone who cannot play any other instrument to compose any note you hear in your head
Once you start hearing melodies from a drummer's perspective, you start manufacturing unusual music
This can inspire you to play something different than what usually comes out during the same old jamming