Scratched Cymbals

Drummersefton

I keep finding small scratches on my cymbals nothing big or serious just when u spend £300 and hi hats u dont want them to be gettin scratches, how can i get rid of them?

screamkevin

It's just the nature of the beast, my friend. Scratches happen. You should be able to gently buff them out using a quality cymbal polish (use whatever brand and type is proper for your cymbals.).

If you are carrying your cymbals in a soft bag, I'd suggest getting some cheap cotton t-shirts and using them to wrap each cymbal as you put them in the bag. If you're hard-casing it, then do the same thing, just cut a small hole in each t-shirt for the center post of the hard case.

stump

Cymbals are going to get scratched, dinged and marked up. Just chalk it up as giving them character. Besides, it makes them sound better.

Scott_Hurford

If you went and bought a new car you'd go and get some scratches and dirt on it, same goes for cymbals, your gonna get scratches on them from using them :p see my point? haha dont worry about it

torkid47

The best thing to do is bring home your new cymbals and VERY CAREFULLY mount they on the wall with a custom display rack. This way they will never get scratched. On the other hand you can play them, love they & make some music. The choice is up to you.

dkmfan

you are hitting the cymbols with wooden sticks what the hell do u think is going to happen to them?????

goatatl

Yeah, stick marks are surely gonna happen, and if you're playing brushes on them, they'll probably get some scratches from that . too. As previously stated, just the nature of the beast; G

win_daddy

I use a hard case from Zildjian and I separate each cymbal in the stack with a layer of rubbermaid drawer liner. It comes in a roll really cheap. I just cut it into squares and then cut a small hole in the center for the bolt to go thru. I have cymbals dating back to 1979 that still look good. I rarely polish anything, but they don't get scratched up too bad. Also I use nylon tips and I don't hit hard enough to break em. I've only cracked one cymbal from playing in 30 years!

screamkevin

win_daddy":bd1sge12 said:
I use a hard case from Zildjian and I separate each cymbal in the stack with a layer of rubbermaid drawer liner. It comes in a roll really cheap. I just cut it into squares and then cut a small hole in the center for the bolt to go thru. I have cymbals dating back to 1979 that still look good. I rarely polish anything, but they don't get scratched up too bad. Also I use nylon tips and I don't hit hard enough to break em. I've only cracked one cymbal from playing in 30 years!
Is this the same Win_Daddy that I remember from Drumzilla's Lair???

craigyp

i like it when i get scratches n stuff on my cymbals, makes them look used - i go for the old, vintage - dare i say - scruffy look for ma cymbals! :wink:

dunno how tht really helps u tho, soryy :oops:

maybe some polish can help...

screamkevin

win_daddy":fxuhjlix said:
Is this the same Win_Daddy that I remember from Drumzilla's Lair???
Yes it is![/quote]

YAY!! Win_Daddy is in the house! Good to hear from you again, man! I'll have to drop into the Lair soon, I haven't been there in a while.