School Jam Session Freaking Me Out A Bit (Need HELP)

Hi, I'm kinda new here. I've been playing drums about three years and had a decent (to me) band going for about half a year.

We've done a couple gigs at local clubs but nothing special yet and all of a sudden my principal calls me. Okay, well my band got drafted into doing some promotional stuff for the "battle of the bands" at my school. We have to show up on friday and play for a half hour to get the kids pumped for it, not gonna be easy since they only seem to listen to rap. We're still experimenting with different styles from Jazz to Metal and Classic Rock. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on stuff to play, or atleast how to get the jitters out before then. I know its kinda lame but I've never performed infront of people I know before just at clubs and stuff.

Anything Would Be Wonderful,
Thanks guys. (And Gals)

Drum on.

sp4zium

to get people pumped... play fast music. preferrably punk or speedmetal depending on your audience. just go for speed and energy, try playing well known tunes, like blink 182, old green day, rancid, misfits, transplants, arctic monkeys, the killers... etc. etc. for a school event, stick to mainstream. guaranteed success.

sp4zium":9kobke5z said:
to get people pumped... play fast music. preferrably punk or speedmetal depending on your audience. just go for speed and energy, try playing well known tunes, like blink 182, old green day, rancid, misfits, transplants, arctic monkeys, the killers... etc. etc. for a school event, stick to mainstream. guaranteed success.

Hell Ya!!!!
Some Avenged Sevenfold and Sum 41

FelterSkelter

I had an original band in high school. Our first show was for a benefit for Kosovo refugees. We played between the break for Conehead Buddha. Our first song of that show was a cover of "Sunshine of your love", but more Earth Crisis style than Cream.
We used to also play Nirvana, Deftones, and Silverchair covers.

Scott_Hurford

well these days playing at a school demands more since, like you said, most of them listen to rap, thts quite common now. so try and play something everyone knows, maybe a cover or two tht u will know every1 listens to and will be enjoyable to play

Gaddabout

If your band can pull it off, Rage Against the Machine's Killing In the Name Of gets the crowd going like few other songs. It will also please the school administration, since they are always so favorable to highly politicized songs.

OK, that last part was a lie. Play it at your own risk.

Thanks guy's its been a serious help. Expecially to thoes who IM'd me with ideas. I'm totally phyced for tomorrow! We're doing two covers, Nirvana and The Wonders then a couple of our own songs and Rage (not Killing In The Name but Sleep Now In The Fire :) ) So thanks for all your help guys, its awesome!

UNIONVILLE

i say play what you guys like and fuck what everyone else thinks. if its shit that you guys like and you guys are really getting into it playing it, then people will dig it.

Mistajohn

First off, form the mega list of thing bands SHOULDN'T Do in the 21st Century:

NEVER enter the battle of the bands, if you do, you have already lost...

I dunno if that's because judging music is a flawed thing, or if allowing yourself to be judged determines the flaw, but I digress...

Now, about rockin' the kids. As a drummer, we all need to remember that our beats make people dance (when done right).

So, put the emphasis on keeping people dancing. Read to crowd, is it a Hip Hop crowd, or a R n R crowd?

Learn to read what the crowd wants, and always be ready to mess with peoples heads...

And when all else fails, you ca never go wrong with the AC/DC Boom - Bap Beat!