Saturn Or Orion?

• Saturn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devilspain

right mapex fans or ppl who've played a saturn or orion. im stuck buying a new kit but stuck on which series saturn or Orion. i ve played both and they great kits two different sounds. ill prob be doin studio and gig work.

just gonna post a poll seewhat gets it.

if you have no clue choose 1 or the other ta for your help!

:D

Chazdrums

The saturn is way more versitile with tuning. Its maple wrapt walnut, Orion is Burl maple wrapt maple.

loop

I'd go for Saturn. Orions are more expensive but aren't any better, just different

Shalaq

I have a Saturn set and it's great. I have a big set- 22 kick, 10 12 14 16 18 toms. They're great for every style of music. I use G1 clears and 12 16 18 toms for rock and J1 Etched with 10 12 14 toms for a jazz/fusion setting.
The Saturn is for me more versatile and good for studio. If you tune it high it sounds very smooth, but if you tune it low, the walnut plies start to work and give you a very low throaty sound. Also walnut has a little less sustain, so it sound a little bit cleaner when you play a fill etc.

Homki890

Orion's play circles around the Saturn Pro's. A simply angelic sound non-dampened, and they are just plain sex when fitted with some dampaners. They look killer with the amount of finishes. Completly customizable, and a sound that is out of this world. Orion's get my vote.

Homki890

devilspain

was thinking about the saturn more played both they great kits. anywwyas not buyng for a wee while so more votes appre :D cheers

veklynvhyz

"Mapex sucks, top three companies if you ask me. = DW. Pork Pie, and Orange County drums. No other."

im going to have to disagree w/ you on this one. although most of my hardware is dw, and my kit is pdp, i love mapex bc of the kits ive heard. theyre simple amazing in sound not to mention the beautiful finishes they have.[/quote]

devilspain

wickerman":631b09gv said:
Mapex sucks, top three companies if you ask me. = DW. Pork Pie, and Orange County drums. No other.

you've abviosly played all the mapexs in the world i will take on board that all the mapexs in the world suck ........ yeah anyways yeah mapexs sound great the names mentiond by wickerman are top class drum makes but are very expensive so chances are i wont be paying £2000 odd price for a drum kit yet.

devilspain

loop":1n6z65j4 said:
I'd go for Saturn. Orions are more expensive but aren't any better, just different
yeah good comment my first impressions on the orions are they have better hardware thats about it. and nice finishes.

quikstang2

In 2007 the Orion series will be component ordered only, in other words Orion won't have any pre-packaged kits, just individual drums.
That could make all the difference when you decide all the exact sizes you want.

I love the burl maple and the walnut...and both lines have killer finishes. I believe the Saturns have thinner shells and they're a bit cheaper.

It's a tough choice and I'm glad I'm not the one making a decision. I couldn't tell you which one to get, but if I have to go with one I'd say Orion.

Either way, you'll be more than happy with your decision.

Apollo

I was in this same position about 5 years ago. I looked for almost a year for a kit that blew me away, something that was really worth the money. I played EVERYTHING. I tried a slew of DW kits that left me disapointed. I played a couple Premier kits but didn't like the hardware. Pearl was a disapointment across the board, so were the Yamaha recording and Maple customs. I liked a few of the custom kits I played but the price was a bit steep. Then I was on vacation in Montreal and stopped in Archembault music to look around. They had tons of high end kits and the salesman was cool enough to go through each one with me. When he got to the Mapex section I rolled my eyes "Mapex?" I thought. I remember the 90's Mapex drums and they were less than stellar, crappy hardware, thin sound etc. But when he tore into the Saturn Pro my jaw hit the floor, the kick was thunderous, the snare was really responsive (for a stock snare), then he played the Orion which was equally impressive but a bit brighter. I went with the Saturn because it seemed more versatile, and I liked the waxed emerald finish they had at the time. I can say with confidence I'll be playing that Saturn kit until the day I can afford a Brady.

drumdug

I have played Saturns and really like the sound (especially the bass drum!). I voted for Saturn. Either one will be awesome, but if money is an issue, go for the Saturns. I will be getting the Pro-M Studio setup sometime in '07. I currently play the VX's. Even the VX doesn't sound that bad...

devilspain

drumdug":5wioqi2l said:
Even the VX doesn't sound that bad...

yeah i know what you mean. i had the m birch and they were awsome but just wanted more from them. which i havent got yet. yeah if i had more money i would buy an orion but id rather have a 4pc saturn which could be with me in less than a month than having to wait 3/4 months for an orion. plus doin recording soon and need a kit. maybe int he future.