Saluda endorsers and players, please enter --->

rufus4dagruv

Greetings,

Well my cymbalholic nature has been in full effect lately and I've been looking for some info on a couple of their different lines. Based on my research so far (I haven't contacted them directly yet), the hybrid X series crashes are pretty much super thin and have characteristics closer to chinas or the Ozone series. As you increase in diameter, do these cymbals develop more fast crash-like properties?

The Diamond series seems like it would be comparable to the newer Zildjian K. line based on their description. Do any of your or have any of you used these cymbals in lighter volume and/or jazz settings? I'm kinda looking for a flat ride and a 20" version from this series may be the direction I want to go in.

Finally, has anyone played or heard anything from the newer Definitive Jazz series. There does not seem to be much out there about these cymbals. Are these also made from B20 or will it be a different alloy? Are they going for a vintage K or A sound? Any info you may have would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

screamkevin

Rufus,

What you have to understand about Saludas is that yes, all their lines have certain inherent characteristics, but Jamie can have any line and any cymbal custom-made to your specs. If you want a Hybrid-X that is 1" thick, he can do it. If you want one that is paper-thin, he can do that too.

To answer your line questions:

1. The Definitive Jazz series is going back to R&D to be re-worked. There are some of them out there on E-Bay, but for the time being, Jamie is only offering a select few of the D.J. series to select endorsers and in a few trade-ins.

2. Hybrid-X: Yes, they do get a bit faster as they get larger, to a point. The venting like on the Sabian Ozone is an option on Saluda, and not something that you have to get, like with Sabian. Again, Saludas are custom cymbals.

3. The Diamonds do have a darker sound, somewhat compex like a Zildjian K, but more like the newer K Customs. I've used my three 18" Diamond crashes in an unplugged setting with 7A sticks and Vater Dowel Rods, and I was able to explore them a lot more like that, finding different colors and tones than what I was used to in my regular arena-rock gig.

Remember, Jamie can make whatever you want. But part of that is on you: the more information you give him (expected sizes, weights, tones, colors, "sounds like..."), the more he'll be able to nail what you are looking for.

And as always, tell him Kevin sent you. :wink:

rufus4dagruv

screamkevin":3dpdru0q said:
Rufus,

What you have to understand about Saludas is that yes, all their lines have certain inherent characteristics, but Jamie can have any line and any cymbal custom-made to your specs. If you want a Hybrid-X that is 1" thick, he can do it. If you want one that is paper-thin, he can do that too.

1. The Definitive Jazz series is going back to R&D to be re-worked. There are some of them out there on E-Bay, but for the time being, Jamie is only offering a select few of the D.J. series to select endorsers and in a few trade-ins.

2. Hybrid-X: Yes, they do get a bit faster as they get larger, to a point. The venting like on the Sabian Ozone is an option on Saluda, and not something that you have to get, like with Sabian. Again, Saludas are custom cymbals.

3. The Diamonds do have a darker sound, somewhat compex like a Zildjian K, but more like the newer K Customs. I've used my three 18" Diamond crashes in an unplugged setting with 7A sticks and Vater Dowel Rods, and I was able to explore them a lot more like that, finding different colors and tones than what I was used to in my regular arena-rock gig.

Remember, Jamie can make whatever you want. But part of that is on you: the more information you give him (expected sizes, weights, tones, colors, "sounds like..."), the more he'll be able to nail what you are looking for.

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I figured you would be the first in here...haha! That's interesting about the D.J. series. I don't doubt that the reason for the trek back to R&D is because of their devotion to putting out a solid, quality product. I am very curious about what the fundamental characteristics of this line will be.

I was thinking about getting one of the Hybrid X cymbals to be used in conjunction with a yet to be determined china to create a sort of Benny Greb trash hat set.

Do you know if they stricktly work with B20 bronze or do they use any other alloys, specifically B8 a la the Paiste Giant Beat series? Thanks for the input!

musicmaker136

rufus4dagruv":3w552nw4 said:
screamkevin":3w552nw4 said:
Rufus,

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I figured you would be the first in here...haha! That's interesting about the D.J. series. I don't doubt that the reason for the trek back to R&D is because of their devotion to putting out a solid, quality product. I am very curious about what the fundamental characteristics of this line will be.

I was thinking about getting one of the Hybrid X cymbals to be used in conjunction with a yet to be determined china to create a sort of Benny Greb trash hat set.

Do you know if they stricktly work with B20 bronze or do they use any other alloys, specifically B8 a la the Paiste Giant Beat series? Thanks for the input!
The Giant Beats Are B8?....

Mr. Blue

rufus4dagruv

musicmaker136":a3wxe969 said:
rufus4dagruv":a3wxe969 said:
screamkevin":a3wxe969 said:
Rufus,

The Giant Beats Are B8?....

Mr. Blue
Yeah, Paiste refers to their B8 as "2002 Bronze." Here's a link to the write up on the new Giant Beats on their site:

http://www.paiste.com/products/cymbals/ ... t_main.php

pow3rtr1p

I told Jamie what I wanted, and I think he did a great job with it. All Diamond cymbals, and while they have all kinds of colors like Kevin said, they can still cut in a rock setting. I love them.