Sabians prone to breaking?

Eliminator

I recently broke my axxplosion crash and was about to buy a new one, i then noticed a crack had appeared at the 'bend' my aaxtreme chinese!?

ive noticed alot ofsabian cymbals that have broke, does anyone else have this problem?

anavrinIV

ive never broken a sabian (i own 2 sabian aaxplosions even) but i got them after i really started using proper technique so that may have been a factor.

ive heard that aaxrtreme chinas, as well as aa metal-x chinas, are prone to cracking more so than other chinas.

Spydr2000

Eliminator":m921ib3t said:
I recently broke my axxplosion crash and was about to buy a new one, i then noticed a crack had appeared at the 'bend' my aaxtreme chinese!?

ive noticed alot ofsabian cymbals that have broke, does anyone else have this problem?
I broke every sabian I owned in a matter of hours. Only because I was hitting them so hard because they don't project. Their Chinas just bend really easy they don't really sound that bad but I think they could be alittle heavier to prevent this. Honestly is you like sabians that much I'd try something in the B8 pro line I bet they will take a beating and I also think they sound better than any aa or aax.

devilspain

nope dude ive had my sabians for about 4 years and havent broke one yet! they AAX's as well. try smaller cymbal felts.

Spydr2000

devilspain":lnpvb19c said:
nope dude ive had my sabians for about 4 years and havent broke one yet! they AAX's as well. try smaller cymbal felts.
Felts have nothing to do with broken cymbals either does technique.. broken cymbals come from hitting them with a stick and the various alloys they are made of. Some of us play alot hard, it comes with years of experience. You give the soundman a little extra power behind those drum the more he can do with them. Ever listen to how much a drum beat sounds when you actually play hard vs just tapping one out...big difference.

screamBRYAN

i have not had one problem with my sabians but my zildjian has a piece missing and developed a giant crack today after 10 minutes of playing, i play hard though, plus i got it used from the drummer of Crash Romeo check them out...

Sway

uhh yeah i think mo metter what brand you get cymbals are going to crack i mean its just a fact. There not meant to last for an eternity. And i have broken a sabian stage crash and a zildjian z custom medium crash. If you ve ever played a z custom there super think. And chinas a prone to cracking in the first place its better if you put them so your not hitting the edge 100 percent of the time. And honestly if your breaking cymbals constantly then your probably doing somthing wrong. There's a technique to everything and if your beating the crap out of the drums and cymbals on every hit then thats not really good unless your playing metal or somthing. In which case you wanna not play so hard so you can conserve energy for speed and the length of a song. Cymbals are very loud and in just about every situation they dont have to be hit with all you have

FelterSkelter

I've cracked a B8 Pro Crash and China, a pair of AAX sizzle hats, an AA Stage Crash, and an old Zildjian crash. B8 ride ($60 over 10 years ago) has never so much as cracked.

I will still buy Sabian because I like their sound catalog and if a cymbal breaks it cannot be attributed to the manufacturer. Especially not in the case of a major cymbal manufacturer who makes instruments for pros.

If you play heavy, you aren't going to use single ply heads, so don't use light or medium cymbals either. Use the heavy fuckers and try them at different angles so that you aren't hitting the edge at a 90 degree angle.

break the prism

i remember breaking a 16" B8 crash. even with a 12" crack in it it sounded good. the wobbling of the edge even helped the sustain a little bit.
in all seriousness though, i've known zildjians to break easier than sabians.

Damagedrummer

Yeah I had that problem too man! Had many types of cymbals and they all went to hell eventually. But if they crack with the bend of the cymbal. In a tone-ring, you usually can return it to the shop. Most guarantees last one year, and most manufacturers say, that if a cymbal does have a productionflaw in it, it WILL come out within one year. If the cracks appear vertically from outside in usually, then they say it's your own fault.

I've had both cracks numberous times, and when they'd cracked with the bend, I'd always got a new one.

Now I just play some cheap ass cymbals except for in the studio or whatever. But you'll get the same noise, for like a third of the price. And then you can beat the shit out of them, without having to worry about your 300 dollar cymbal being wrecked...

Scott_Hurford

Damagedrummer":26ph3z6y said:
Scott_Hurford":26ph3z6y said:
i know this term is used a tonne, but its always true.

Its all down to your technique!
Yeah but drums are ment to be hit, and I just wanna hit the shit out of it!
drums heads cost roughly 10-30, hit as hard as you like, cheap to replace and last a long-long time. cymbals are much more expensive and should be hit with correct technique. You can still hit a cymbal really hard without it breaking if u use a slicing movement when u hit the cymbal.