Sabian Xs20

TheLoneGunman

Anyone have much experience with these cymbals? I'm gonna be buying a new cymbal pack to replace my b8Pros. Even though I'm trying not to worry about price. My wife would love it if I didn't spend our vacation money, lol. I defently want to upgrade to a B20 cymbal of some kind. Anyways, I'd just like some opinions on these cymbals. they sound pretty good to me on Sabian.com. Thanks.

anavrinIV

theres a general consensus running around here that its not a good thing to buy cymbal packs, especially if you are a semi experienced drummer. you should save your money up and play around on every cymbal you can find until you find the cymbals that you think sound the best and suit your needs. that may seem like a longer, tedious process thats more expensive but in the long run youll spend less replacing lower end cymbals and youll be happier with your sounds sooner.

jasondrums

I have an 18in Medium Thin Crash that I bought to use like a ride cymbal that I could crash on, it's amazing. This cymbal sounds great, and has tons of different uses. The price is jsut the icing on the cake.

Jaso

I have the XS20 China and i love it. Its not that trashy as you think it would, mainly because its very thin. But the tone on it is pretty sweet. Yes it is good to search for cymbals individually that way you can actually hear the cymbal instead of picking the cymabls out of the box and not liking the sound. It will sound different than it sounds on sabian's website.

Good luck with your choice!

jbreshears

I have a XS20 20" medium ride and a Medium thin crash and i really don't like the ride all that much. I'm gonna get a new set of Zildjian K's when i buy my new drum set

IplayOCDP85

This all depends on how and how often you play... also on if you're playing shows with a band... XS20's are good for practice at home, and thats about it. I made the mistake of buying their 18" Crash and about a month into it's lifespan it cracked on the bell. but also consider I was with a band that practiced once a week and played a show every weekend. the sound was ok but like I said nothing I'd play a show with. personally I'm all for Zildjian. All I buy is Z Custom but considering you don't want to spend too much money $150 per crash is probably more than what you're looking for.

chichi1816

i've bought the 20" medium-thin ride, 18" and 16" crashes, and the 18" china and 10" splash. i think they all go well together. i have had a couple of instances of where i had to replace the crashes cuz i am a pretty hard player. but all i had to do was buy the rock versions of them and they have a heavier sound but i think they were made for me lol. they sound great to me personally but it really does all depend on what u want to hear.

Four Sticks

I've been a sabian player for many years. They have come a long way since I started, and they have great beginner/intermediate level cymbals now. Take a look at the B8 Pro packages. They come in both the regular and brilliant finish. One suggestion is to buy one thing at a time until you have the good stuff. Maybe throw down for a set of hats in the AA or AAX serries. Save a little again and go for a crash, then ride. Soon you will have all the good stuff.

drumtone

First of all, like it was said, dont buy cymbal packs. second, the cymbals you listen to on the sabian website are not what you are going to hear in real life. if youre looking to upgrade to B20 bronze, go for either AA's or AAX's. The AAX is more expensive, but well worth it. Remember, you get what you pay for. I dont like to waste my time with lower end, thinner cymbals because they are not going to last. Spend the money on sturdy cymbals and it will save you money in the long run. I play AAX crashes, and man, those things sound beautiful. But anyway...your sound, your cymbals, do what you want. Thats just my .02

On a side note: I just bought the 13" Paragon Hi-Hats. GOOD LORD THEY SOUND INCREDIBLE!!

sp4zium

i hand-picked my 21in sabian AA dry ride... lol... its my only upgraded cymbal from the b8 highhat and crash that came with my old set... but anywho, best deal is to go to a local drum shop and just walk around with your eyes closed hitting random cymbals until you find one you like. at least thats what one of my drum teachers does :wink:

i have the 18 Inch China and i loved the sound of it. i got it over a 16 Inch Wuhan. its a great cymbal for me though and the price was even better for me.

Ludwig Drums
Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals
Gibraltar and PDP Hardware
Vater and Vic Firth Sticks

I Play as Loud as Proud!!!!!

TheLoneGunman

hey everyone thanks for the the replies and various oppinions. Through all the research I've done I decided on getting the cymbal pack. I believe that every cymbal in the pack fits my needs perfectly. I'll give a review of the cymbals once I get them. But after spending 6 months playing fusion on a b8Pro Power Rock Ride, i don't think I can go anywhere but up, lol. I love the PRR for Punk Rock, not for Jazz, lol.

phoenix7289

XS20s are not a very bad cymbal at all. I would say they don't LOOK that nice, but they do sound good. They are inexpensive next to the other B20s but they are still really good! But trying different cymbals individually is the best route you can take to find the right cymbals! :)

dbkman

All I use is XS20's, i have a 14" 16" 18" and a 21" ride plus hi hat of course. I love XS20s. I havent had them for more than a year so i cant say how long they last but they sound great live or at home. very crisp and clean.

DrummerByron

I have the XS20 18in Medium Thin Crash, 16in medium crash, and the 18in china and I like them all! I got them seperatly, but Sabian is really good at matching their boxed cymbals so I would not worry too much about the sound. My 18in Crash has lasted me for 5 years which is unheard of in my arsnal and it sounds really great. I only get meduim thin crashes for my 18" and all other cymbals would only last me about a year or 2, but the XS has been with me for the longest time. I do recommend the XS line for those on a budget. I love it people say, "just save your money for a higher end cymbal" but the reality is if you are on a budget and you have to replace a cymbal quick then you just have to maximize your dollar as much as possible. I think the XS line is a great mid-grade cymbal. Your other option is eBay, good luck.

DevintheGreig

i have not played the ride, but i did just buy my little brother the hats, splash and crash for his birthday, and i got to admit theyre pretty good cymbals, comparable to ZHT id say.

ddrumark

i like the b20 alloy but the sizes are so small on the xs20 line from sabian,i have a 24"mb20 ride from meinl and its the best ride ive ever owned and my smallest crash is a 18" byzance this crash from meinl,but if you like smaller higher pitched cymbals sure go for it

glenndrums4life

i think they are great intermediate cymbals i use aa / aax and i have xs20 crash 18 inch rock and it sounds fantastic specially with AA i think for the money xs20 u will not get better cymbals try ebay tho , some good deals to be had