Sabian Metal-X Chinese??

Dave2094

I've been playin g for a long time and this may sound like a newbie question but here goes...I bought an 18" Sabian Metal-X Chinese about 2months ago. I play it inverted on my right by my floor toms and it's kinda warped a little in one spot where it gets hit the most. Not too bad but noticable if you look at it close. It sound fine to me, no cracks or anything. Anyone else experience this?
Does this mean I'm on the way to a cracked china?
I guess I hit harder than I though....lol

Mainiacdrummer

i just got that about a month ago but i havent played ton it too much because my drums are over my guitasts house which sucks because normally i polay about 2 hours a day but noy its like 1 day a week. but it hasnt done that to my yet

mlumpkin13

not neccesarily, My crashes are a little warped and so is my china, but it's been warped for about 3 years. Are your cymbals to tight to spin on the stand?

anavrinIV

both of my aaxplosions are warped slightly in the same way but theyve always been like that and havent broken...its not noticable unless youre trying to line up the bottom edge of the cymbal by sight but its happened. my cymbals are loose too so i dont know what happened, but they sound fine.

Dave2094

yeah its not on there too tight, it's pretty loose in that aspet, sounds fine still so i'm not gonna worry about it.

disrupt13

like kevin said above me, cymbal springs, those things are pretty cool. from my understanding myself inverting your china is what will mess it up, i think thats what i was told, but metal x is supost to be a hard hitting cymbal, as i mean it should hold up, i thrash mine like no other and i dont get it cracks.

gudsmorder

I've had that cymbal for over two years now. You will never break a cymbal if you use proper technique, I hit hard, very hard, and cymbals will take what you give them if you let them breathe and vibrate, if you follow through or grip your stick too tight you can do some damage. I've been playing drums for years, ive never once broken a cymbal, except for the paper ones that came with my "starter kit" lol, and a wuhan 12" china that i wanted to break lol, and I've never broken a drumhead either, and i almost always use single ply heads. Its all a matter of technique and to tell you the truth, ive probably only broken a couple of sticks in my life too. Idk, maybe its just me, but i dont' think anything should break with proper technique, sticks will eventually just die and shread away, but heads and cymbals should last forever, heads won't always sound good forever, but you shouldn't ever break one.

JidTheDrummer

hey I'm pretty sure I know what u r talking about. Have you seen Thomas Lang's Creative Control DVD? There's like this special section where he's playing a clinic, and his 14" Filter China is bent in all kinda weird places just because of how he's hitting it. I know the alloy for the Meinl Gen. X cymbals is kinda screwy, but still...I've never seen a china that bent up before. I have also seen a friend's Zildjian ZXT Titanium China get sorta bent up in the same way. I dunno. I guess it just sometimes happens to Chinas.

Spydr2000

I've only used aa and aax's for a very short period of time. And it's not warping it's actually bent. And from many Sabians I've seen they all do this, it's that thin edge they have on their Chinas. Some Zildjians do this also. I never had this happen to a paiste yet. I just think when you go to hit your china your going for a accent and you just really lay in to it. I honestly don't think it's your technique. What size sticks you using?... That is also a factor in someone who is a heavy hitter.

drummert2k

playing it inverted could be a big reason why it warped. when playing a china which isnt inverted you're hitting more of the "shoulder" of the cymbal rather than the thin curved up edge you hit when its inverted

Dave2094

Spydr2000":deytlmbs said:
I've only used aa and aax's for a very short period of time. And it's not warping it's actually bent. And from many Sabians I've seen they all do this, it's that thin edge they have on their Chinas. Some Zildjians do this also. I never had this happen to a paiste yet. I just think when you go to hit your china your going for a accent and you just really lay in to it. I honestly don't think it's your technique. What size sticks you using?... That is also a factor in someone who is a heavy hitter.
It's only bent/warped a little bit in one spot and hard to see. I only use it for an accent, i don't ride on it at all. I either use Ahead 5B's (most of the time) or i'll my Promark Mike Portnoy signature stick. Just depends what I'm feeling.

Mr Beatdown

I heard that people who invert there AAX metal chinas worship Bob Sagit. I read that on a bumper sticker somewhere. :lol: