Sabian AAXplosion crash

SGarrett

I have a 16" and 19". Absolutely love them. I want to add some HHXPlosions to my kit in the future for some more complex tones.

SGarrett

From the Department of Redundancy Dept. They're the HHX version of AAXPlosions. :p

They have a darker and more complex tone, like the difference between an AAX and HHX Stage crash, but are still explosive and flexible as hell. I've seen one bent into a taco shape and bounce back like nothing happened.

SGarrett

It was the West Coast rep from the factory who was going around getting the drum shop guys excited about them just after their prototype phase. My jaw hit the ground and my eyes almost bugged out of my head. I couldn't believe what he did. He just went, "...and check THIS out." I was expecting it to crack or something. It didn't and still had that finger-touch response.

Ludwig24

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what would you guys recommend as a complimentary Crash for an 18" AAXplosion? I was thinking about just buying the 18" 16" Crash Pack but they sound a lot alike which kind of ruins the point of having different crashes for different sounds. Any brand I've looked through every Cymbal on the Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl, and Paiste websites but I can't really tell for sure without having heard them in person. I really like the Meinl Byzance and Sound Customs Cymbals but no experience with them and the only Zildjian Crash that I really liked was the A Series Medium Crash and as for Paiste I really couldn't find too much that tickled my fancy aside from a few of the 2002's. Sabian I like a lot but like I said I want to make sure they match musically and don't sound like complete opposites. Thanks Guys!

GeorgeDemise

I've cracked both! I cracked a 16" second hand aaxplosion i had years ago. And I cracked a HHX stage crash! A friend of mine completely destroyed a 19" AAXplosion crash too! I just ordered one though so I hope it lasts me well!

SGarrett

Ludwig24":8it4cv0a said:
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what would you guys recommend as a complimentary Crash for an 18" AAXplosion? I was thinking about just buying the 18" 16" Crash Pack but they sound a lot alike which kind of ruins the point of having different crashes for different sounds. Any brand I've looked through every Cymbal on the Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl, and Paiste websites but I can't really tell for sure without having heard them in person. I really like the Meinl Byzance and Sound Customs Cymbals but no experience with them and the only Zildjian Crash that I really liked was the A Series Medium Crash and as for Paiste I really couldn't find too much that tickled my fancy aside from a few of the 2002's. Sabian I like a lot but like I said I want to make sure they match musically and don't sound like complete opposites. Thanks Guys!
In person, they don't sound as similar but do have similar characteristics.

tragicmistakedrummer":3bu4dmnk said:
What do people think about it? i have the 16" and 18". i was just wondering what people thought about it :lol:
Andrew
i have an 18". what can i say i really am satisfied with it, it sounds great. i had the money for a new cymbal but i didnt have my heart set on anything in particular but i knew the sound i was after. so i just went to the shop n started hitting loads of cymbals and when i got to the aaxplosion 18 i knew it was the sound i had been imagining. so i stopped searching n bought it, simple as that.

rigemeister

I have the 14" and 16" HHXplosions (got a great deal... bought the 16 half off, and the 14 came with it free. Both new), and they're great. You have to have a bit of an open mind as they're not as straight forward as most cymbals, even dark ones. They have a funky wavering, simmering sound that blends in great with music, though. I'm getting a 15" AAXplosion in the mail soon, and I plan on a 17" after that. I can't wait for them, I love to have as much versatility in my setup as possible.

rigemeister

Being the indecisive guy I am, I would appreciate some opinions on this from fellow drummers.
I currently have 14 and 16 HHXplosions, and an 18 AAXplosion. I was originally planning on getting a 20 AAXplosion, but now I realize that I prefer the darker complexity of my HHXs. But that might just be because they're smaller. So I'm not sure if I should just sell my AAX and get 18 and 20 HHXs. The drum stores where I live don't have them in those sizes, and I would assume they would blend better, but I don't know if it's better to have a brighter contrast to your larger cymbals?
Your thoughts, please.

Eliminator

Keep a mixture of the two! Nothing wrong with mix n match, if you already have 14 and 16 HHXplosions then a few AAXplosions would compliment them nicely!