Sabian AAXCelerator Hats

metldrummer2112

Ok, it's looking like I'm getting around $300 for my birthday in March, and I really need some new hats. I'm looking at Sabian 13" AAXCelerator Hats or AAX Fast Hats. Anyone have any experience with either?

MrPowerRide

I had a pair of 14" AAXCelerator hihats, they were good. Nice , clean crisp, but if you play metal, the hats dont open up cause of the curved under cymbal. The fast hats are VERY nice hihats and dont have the soundedge bottom and are better suited for metal.

Both are good hats though for different reasons. Out of the two "I" would get the fast hats even though i dont play metal.

metldrummer2112

Thanks Scott, I was looking at getting the fast hats in the first place. I didn;t have any experience with the soundedge bottom so I had to check first.

MrPowerRide

metldrummer2112":26gha935 said:
Thanks Scott, I was looking at getting the fast hats in the first place. I didn;t have any experience with the soundedge bottom so I had to check first.
The soundedge bottom creates a better chick than one without ( you may already know this, sorry if you do) so the fast hats will be better for open use. More cymbal on cymbal. sabian has so many hihats that are really good. fast hats would be my choice if i went back to sabian, but i'm not.

metldrummer2112

Yeah I knew about the soundedge having more chick, but there's no harm in hearing it again! I have noticed Sabian doing a lot of great hats, and I've heard fast hats from other brands and they blew me away, so these should be perfect.

Any input on 13" vs 14"? Playability wise, of course, I know the 13's will be higher pitched.

MrPowerRide

just the pitch and volume availability will be louder with the 14". the pitch will be slightly lower, but louder. Not by too much though. I'm going back to 13" hihats for my TRX, want more clear stick definition and "fast" action.

metldrummer2112

That's exactly what I'm looking for with hats so I definately think 13" would be the way to go for me. I heard a really cool closed hat section in a Mayhem song and I want something like that, with lots of definition. Thanks again!

metldrummer2112

Hah when I have the money I'll be giving TRX a shot! Right now I'm just trying to stay safe and get something I know I'll like since I'm upgrading from B8 alloy hats.

And fast hats seem like a great choice, I'm glad I decided on them!

MrPowerRide

hate to throw another wrench into this. But i also owned 14" AAX Stage hihats (brilliant finish) wow those are some incredible hats. Great for all music, metal, rock etc. These are probably my favorite hats by sabian. I'm sure you probably already checked out the sound files, but also Evolution HHX Brilliant hats are nice and crisp and glassy. So many to choose from with Sabian.

metldrummer2112

Oh yeah, Sabian has a lot of choices, especially when it comes to hats and crashes. I've checked out most of the sound files, but they don't do any of the real cymbals justice. Personally, I think I'm gonna go with the fast hats, but I'll probably try out almost every set of hats I can afford before I buy.

This is kind of going off topic, but have you ever played a Sabian AAX Stage Crash?

MrPowerRide

metldrummer2112":mgdws82g said:
Oh yeah, Sabian has a lot of choices, especially when it comes to hats and crashes. I've checked out most of the sound files, but they don't do any of the real cymbals justice. Personally, I think I'm gonna go with the fast hats, but I'll probably try out almost every set of hats I can afford before I buy.

This is kind of going off topic, but have you ever played a Sabian AAX Stage Crash?
yes i had 16-17-18" stage crashes, both in brilliant and non-brilliant. Sabian doesn't make a consistent sound
like Paiste does. So i had one set that i loved in brilliant and one set in brilliant i didnt like (i bought two sets out of the four sabian sets i had at one point) and the non-brilliant sounded good too. But i did have one set of brilliants i didnt like, had a wierd ring to them. Stage crashes are generally really good, and so are aax metal crashes (those are loud , bright and full)
only issue i have ever had with Sabian is finding a ride i loved. they were going to make me an AAX 22" Power Bell ride (custom for me) but i backed out when i picked up my endorsement deal with TRX.

metldrummer2112

I have an 18" AAX Metal in brilliant, love that thing to death. I was looking at a 16" Stage crash to replace my Meinl Byzance Dark Crash, and I've heard one before and it's pretty nice. I'm probably gonna end up getting it, I know a pro who ironically uses an 18" AAX Metal and 16" AAX Stage as well and they compliment each other well.

I've been having trouble finding a nice Sabian ride too. I've only heard 1 really good one and it was a factory prototype that I'm still kicking myself for not picking up.

MrPowerRide

the reason i was going to have them make me a 22" AAX Power Bell ride is cause the AAX line is a higher pitched cymbal than the HH (power bell) so its ping would be more silvery and cutting, and the bell would be higher pitched and cutting as well. HH is a bit more dark. But all the other AAX rides are horrible, the aax metal is ok, great ping, but the bell is horribly pitched. If i ever go back to sabian i know exactly what i'm getting. But TRX offers everything i want within its five lines. But sabs are great cymbals.

metldrummer2112

Yeah no doubt, most Sabian rides I've played have a great bow but questionable bells at best. I think once it's time for a ride upgrade I'll be getting a 22" Paiste Alpha Rock Ride

MrPowerRide

yeah Paiste hands down makes the best rides,,,,however as good as the Alpha's are, especially in price, you'd probably be better off with a metal ride by Alpha, or save your cash for a Signature power ride (hands down the best rocknroll/metal ride out there) of course my opinion. Find one on ebay and pay much less and get a superior ride. Alpha metal is b8, but its great. dont let b8 fool ya. The whole paiste 2002 line is b8 and those are professional cymbals. 2002 power ride is a GREAT ride, sounds just as good as the power ride for signatures (i played paiste for 26 years, i love their rides)