RUSST!AHHHh!!

PatternsInTheIvy

Hello my fellow drummers, I need to address a very important issue, that disturbs all of us quite a bit. RUST. For many people who can afford to keep there drums in a very air tight place, this isn't too much of a problem. But here in Hawaii, where the wind picks up the salt from the ocean, rust is very hard to avoid. I do wipe down my kit thoroughly when I have the time, but other than that I dont know what to do, and it's starting to get kinda bad in certain places. Anyone have any suggestions?

trstn

My tip is to research around ships and ship building or repairing. They have some stuff for avoiding rust.

iatemygoat

i was refered to a mythbusters episode where they removed rust from a chrome bumper on a car using coke and tinfoil. i used this method on my rims and it worked beautifully!

i soked my lug nuts in coke and it took off some of the rust but it was too hard to get into the grooves of the threads. i figured they were good enough.

Piddywiffle

Coke will eat thru anything. The feds use the stuff to clean up human roadkill off the interstates.

Hmm... a few people said to check with various companies that battle rust constantly. Probably a good idea. But for drum hardware a light oil (maybe sewing machine oil) will help to stunt the rust. Just put a VERY light coat on every 2 weeks or so. Before you put more on be sure to wipe it clean with a dry cloth.

I know the factory I work in has some minor rust problems with some of the machinery and light oils really help. But again... If your in the islands it might just be tough luck.

Good luck man :(

PatternsInTheIvy

EH, I think witth some good awareness and moderate fixing up, I should be able to get and keep off the rust. Thanks for the advice dudes.