Rudiments....on your feet

phil-drummer

Im tryin to learn paradiddles and double strokes on my feet , BUT
what are you guys proud of , able to pull off, or simply trying to learn?

it would be interestign to see what peopel are capable of,
Lets discuss dudes

drummert2k

i went through the rudiments with my feet phase about 2 years ago before i switched back to single pedal. i found that taking snare drum exercises and practicing them with your feet was far more useful than just playing a rudiment and stopping and then playing another and stopping. theres a few drum coprs exercises i worked on. Triplet diddle, flam combos, hemeola, paradiddle pyramid, and the 2-2-4 roll exercise. it helps being able to use these rudiments (paradiddles, paradiddle diddles, cheeses, flam drags, flam 5's, flam taps, swiss tripples flams, ect.) in context of a rhythm instead of just being able to do the rudiment itself. but you really gotta work on clearity and consistancy so they dont just sound like mushy mud on the kick drum.

phil-drummer

drummert2k":6xwc29f4 said:
i went through the rudiments with my feet phase about 2 years ago before i switched back to single pedal. i found that taking snare drum exercises and practicing them with your feet was far more useful than just playing a rudiment and stopping and then playing another and stopping. theres a few drum coprs exercises i worked on. Triplet diddle, flam combos, hemeola, paradiddle pyramid, and the 2-2-4 roll exercise. it helps being able to use these rudiments (paradiddles, paradiddle diddles, cheeses, flam drags, flam 5's, flam taps, swiss tripples flams, ect.) in context of a rhythm instead of just being able to do the rudiment itself. but you really gotta work on clearity and consistancy so they dont just sound like mushy mud on the kick drum.
please explain swiss tripples , cheeses and hemeola. , they sound cool , but i nly ever got up to grade 5 on drums and then quit lessons ( it was during school and i left school therefore i cudnt take them ) but cool , i shall try most of them out i have up to grade 8 in notation and a book on snare solos , so ill try em out

drummert2k

a flam swiss triplet is a triplet where the first hit is a right flam, the second hit is a right, and the third is a left. (or the other way around if you lead with your left) so it goes R(flam) R L as a triplet.

a cheese is a flam with a diddle on the accented note of the flam.

and hemeolas is an exercise which works diddles and hand to hand (or foot to foot in this case) patterns. pm me your email and i can send you the sheet music for this exercise

Rockula!

Terry Bozzio is the man you wanna investigate when it comes to foot rudiments
He has been doing them since he was in Zappa's band
He incorporates them into his solo on the film "Baby Snakes" (although he flubs one but he's human)

Anyone else know someone who does it well?
Bozzio can't be the only one

Damagedrummer

Also been working on rudiments, singles double paradiddles and so forth. Try some pages from stick control to play with your feet, it helps alot for your overall technique. I'm also always working on speed, would like to play morbid angel like speeds..but it's gonna take a while, haha.

Sway

I hear everyone talking about rudiments with the feet and independence and it is EXTREMLY IMPORTANT! But you MUST be musical with it. I hear people saying that Thomas lang is the new way of drumming and all that. HOnestly if it was wouldnt he be more popular among other people besides drummers. Not to be rude im learning his stuff right now but nobody wants to buy an album with parriddidles and whatever on top. They just want something thats groovey and that sounds good.
It does benifit though cause i was listening to a song the other day and was like WOW it would be really cool to do somthing on the floor toms and bass drum but still keep the 4/4 going on the snare and hi-hat with my left hand. Or hell toeing the hi-hat and just doing crap on the snare. Thats where its helpfull cause it helps what your thinking in your head come out alot better if you have more independence. You cannon get to carried away with it though it always has to be musical or else who is going to want to listen to you and buy your album other than drummers.
Yeah it is crazy though ive been working on alot of latin rhythms and doing my own version of parriddidles.

Flatliner

drummert2k":2ddfybs9 said:
a flam swiss triplet is a triplet where the first hit is a right flam, the second hit is a right, and the third is a left. (or the other way around if you lead with your left) so it goes R(flam) R L as a triplet.

and hemeolas is an exercise which works diddles and hand to hand (or foot to foot in this case) patterns. pm me your email and i can send you the sheet music for this exercise
that's not a hemeola. Hemeola's are patterns that take several bars to resolve because then are written over the bar line. I think I could explain this better in detail but I just heard my oven tell me my food is done. I'm sure the topic is on the web if you google it.

drummert2k

Flatliner":z1wuxk4n said:
drummert2k":z1wuxk4n said:

that's not a hemeola. Hemeola's are patterns that take several bars to resolve because then are written over the bar line. I think I could explain this better in detail but I just heard my oven tell me my food is done. I'm sure the topic is on the web if you google it.

you are correct. A hemeola is a pattern. what i was refering to is an exercise called hemeolas. it s a drum corps exercise which i know is used by mississippi state university and i believe the blue devils also use it as their double beat exercise. many other corps use it as well. pm me your email if you want me to send you the exercise.

also, here is a link to the adio of the exercises.

http://www.msstate.edu/org/drumline/mp3/2003/Hemeola2k3.mp3