round or square?

dave lynch

All I know is that I've used different beaters and I've noticed that the best sound all together for me is with a somewhat square hard plastic beater and no head protectors unless they're the thin clear plastic ones..I like crack in my kick more than muffled deep tone..Anyway that's what I like..!!

Rob the Drummer

xdoseonex":2hoi7yeo said:
i just switched from a hard plastic round axis beater, to a hard plastic round sonic hammer beater. the sonic mammer has more attack because of the increased surface area. if you punch somones bare skin how much soud does it make? now open your hand to increase the surface area thats connecting when you hit, and open handed slap someones bare skin. the slap makes more noise on contact (attack) because of the increased surface area
Dude, the skin on skin contact makes the slap sound....nothing to do with a drumhead. Slap a table with a flat open hand, then hit it with your knuckle. The knuckle will create more punch, but the open hand will create more "boom" if you will.

SGarrett

Rob the Drummer":3a5yl5u7 said:
xdoseonex":3a5yl5u7 said:
i just switched from a hard plastic round axis beater, to a hard plastic round sonic hammer beater. the sonic mammer has more attack because of the increased surface area. if you punch somones bare skin how much soud does it make? now open your hand to increase the surface area thats connecting when you hit, and open handed slap someones bare skin. the slap makes more noise on contact (attack) because of the increased surface area
Dude, the skin on skin contact makes the slap sound....nothing to do with a drumhead. Slap a table with a flat open hand, then hit it with your knuckle. The knuckle will create more punch, but the open hand will create more "boom" if you will.
Exactly.

dave lynch

SGarrett":ul2xttbt said:
Rob the Drummer":ul2xttbt said:
xdoseonex":ul2xttbt said:
Exactly.
I feel it may be more like this..The open hand will create more slap and the knuckle will create more knock...Slap = slapping your bare leg with your hand...Knock = knocking on a door...Tuning and dampning will make the difference inbetween..Aww heck..just my .02

SGarrett

dave lynch":40tosn3g said:
SGarrett":40tosn3g said:
Rob the Drummer":40tosn3g said:
xdoseonex":40tosn3g said:
Exactly.
I feel it may be more like this..The open hand will create more slap and the knuckle will create more knock...Slap = slapping your bare leg with your hand...Knock = knocking on a door...Tuning and dampning will make the difference inbetween..Aww heck..just my .02
Yep, same thing. If I want a big slap of a sound I turn my DW beater around. The drum isn't as loud on the audience side though. The only thing that matters is how your kit sounds 15-20+ feet in front it. A lot of times you'll get your kit sounding big, fat, and wet to you. Then you go stand in front of it while someone else plays and it sounds like absolute crap. Then the next thought is sometimes, "they'll be mic'd anyway." True and very valid. However, the better your drums sound before being mic'd, the better they'll sound coming through the P.A.. Of course, this is leaving tuning and head selection completely out. Too many variables there.

dave lynch

SGarrett":3fzl95f7 said:
dave lynch":3fzl95f7 said:
SGarrett":3fzl95f7 said:
Rob the Drummer":3fzl95f7 said:
xdoseonex":3fzl95f7 said:
Exactly.
Yep, same thing. If I want a big slap of a sound I turn my DW beater around. The drum isn't as loud on the audience side though. The only thing that matters is how your kit sounds 15-20+ feet in front it. A lot of times you'll get your kit sounding big, fat, and wet to you. Then you go stand in front of it while someone else plays and it sounds like absolute crap. Then the next thought is sometimes, "they'll be mic'd anyway." True and very valid. However, the better your drums sound before being mic'd, the better they'll sound coming through the P.A.. Of course, this is leaving tuning and head selection completely out. Too many variables there.
Yes that's what they call the source...remember tho, the mics are right on top of your heads and that is the true source unless you're micing with just overhead mics...As for the kick you can beef it up with a mic and of course a good sound system...I tap my toms with my finger with my ear real close to get an idea of what the mic will pic up..NOTE: Be careful if you use a stick that close..You can hurt your ears..I luv Crack/Slap on my drums more that anything.....If at all, very little dampning on them for the long tone to follow..!