Rototom Kit

DrumHead15

Greetings All,
Just for a fun kit I am putting together a large Chrome Remo Rototom kit similar to the one Terry Bozzio played with Missing Persons. (or also the guy from Vandenburg) My sizes are: 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. Each is mounted seperately with a special bracket from Pearl to an ICON rack, so each can be individually positioned instead of the non-flexible straight rail mount. I will sub different bass drums in and out.

I am interested in your suggestions on head selection. I usually use either pinstripes or hydralics on them to control the ring inherent to them. So please suggest away.
Thanks.

Dale

DrumHead15":2vbu4ye1 said:
Greetings All,
Just for a fun kit I am putting together a large Chrome Remo Rototom kit similar to the one Terry Bozzio played with Missing Persons. (or also the guy from Vandenburg) My sizes are: 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. Each is mounted seperately with a special bracket from Pearl to an ICON rack, so each can be individually positioned instead of the non-flexible straight rail mount. I will sub different bass drums in and out.

I am interested in your suggestions on head selection. I usually use either pinstripes or hydralics on them to control the ring inherent to them. So please suggest away.
Thanks.
I've used rotos at one time or another for over 20 years. In my experience the best heads for roto toms are ambassadors or CS black dots.

I think it is important that roto toms do ring. I like that timbale like quality they possess naturally. Just listen to Thela Hun Ginjeet by King Crimson.

I will keep my opinion of hydraulics to myself. ;)

DrumHead15

Thanks for the info. Yeah on one of my fav's: Elephant Talk--- Bill B uses a 14" Rototom very nicely. I believe he used a Fyberskin 3 head on that one.

I have used Rototoms (RToms) off and on for years (been playing 35 years now), I have always wanted to own a full setup of them. I got to play a full set about five years ago. The guy even had a way to mount two 18's as double bass drums, really neat. I never liked the traditional way RToms are mounted, but Pearl has a neat adapter to mount them individually.

I used to not like Hydraulics' but they have grown on me over the years. With close miking you can get some decent sounds from them. I occasionally use one on my Gong Bass Drum for a very low note effect. (I am not trying to have a Hydraulic debate, rather head suggestions for specific use , non ringing on Rototoms.) I will use any head to get the job done no matter what brand as long as it works for what I'm doing. I am all about not limiting my choices.

I do use a RTom 14 tuned like a timbale most of the time and I do love the ring. With this set though, I am going for a more traditional drumset 'ish sound not a whole set of timbales.

So this time around I am thinking of maybe using Aquarian Studio X with power dots on them, but I have not used that combo before. Just looking for input from our esteemed website members.

Rockula!

I have an "almost" complete set as well (minus the 18")
I started to mount them on RIMS back when that was the only "alternative" mounting system
I found that they can be placed in many tight spots where normal shells cannot go (like real flat directly over the bass drums
To me, roto toms are supposed to be clangy, ringy and just plain obnoxious
Why handicap it with a dead sounding head?
The best head for me is an Emperor
It takes a beating and rings forever
Especially when clamped down onto the metalic construction of the roto
The best advice is not to try to make it sound like a "normal" drum because it is not

For you old guys like me
Remeber when music videos portayed anything other than a normal drum as an "elelctronic" drum?
For example, the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" shows a roto tom being struck when you hear the electronic drum sound

Rockula!

Oh yeah, if you wanna lose the big bolt in the center then find a cheap ass socket (pawn shops usually have boxes of singles) to act as a spacer between the two "baskets"
This will make it even easier to fit into tight spots

I plan on borrowing a digital camera this weekend to do a photo shoot of the new configuration
I will include close-ups of what I'm talking about
Come back next week

Flatliner

Dale":y6tkms1a said:
I like that timbale like quality they possess naturally. Just listen to Thela Hun Ginjeet by King Crimson.

I will keep my opinion of hydraulics to myself. ;)
Great Song, really really great song.

repludwig4rl

Whatever you do if i was you I wouldnt use hydralics at all on those rotos.Use pinstripes or CS black dots.And if you use fog machines for your shows dont even think about using the fiberskyns.Good luck with your kit dude!

mikeellis

Rockula!":19tg76g9 said:
For you old guys like me
Remeber when music videos portayed anything other than a normal drum as an "elelctronic" drum?
For example, the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" shows a roto tom being struck when you hear the electronic drum sound
It was a roto tom used on the recording, not an e-drum

aztec1

This sounds really cool, I can't wait to see it! I have 6-8-10 rotos and have tried almost every head, clear Remo Ambasadors worked the best for me...

Rockula!

They are in pieces right now
And I am about to lose my rehearsal space so everything is going into cases
Maybe I will take some pics as I'm putting them away
I do not have RIMS for the 6" and 8" but I have 10/12/14/16 rotos with RIMS
The one in the pic above is a 14"
I love rototoms very much and always use at least one in every setup
They are guaranteed to be loud as hell when you mount them this way
The big bolt in the center just sucks the resonance right out of the drum
Use a socket as a spacer and you have one very thin yet very loud tom that can be placed like an e-pad
Just don't expect to get any depth out of them
They don't work very well with low notes
Especially the large sizes
You have to tune them up to get them where they project
I wouldn't leave floor toms out of the picture