Roland SPD-S, SPD-20 or TD-20 module...opinions?

Which module would you suggest?

• Roland SPD-S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roland SPD-20

• Roland TD-20

• Total voters

The Duster

Of course I'd like to just have them all, but yeah, that's not happening :?

I'll be using this with a hybrid kit, so it'll just be a few triggers.

I love the sounds and the editing cabability of the TD-20, but not so much the price. On the other hand, I love that the SPD modules have built-in pads, though I hit pretty freakin hard and I'd hate to smash the damn thing.

The uploading capabilities of the SPD-S is great, but other than Reason I don't have many drum samples, so that's another expense. But if the sounds on the SPD-20 aren't that great, then I'd rather be able to upload my own sounds.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I'll be playing a combination of rock, trip-hop, drum & bass.

<b>Oh, and I won't be playing any loops whatsoever, so loop capabilities are of no importance.</b>

CHOICES CHOICES!

m

I use the TD20 in a hybrid touring kit presently, and I've been quite happy with it. Extremely versatile and easy to expand.

BUT- I'm interested in the SPD-S now; I like the sampling capability, I think that would be great to shrink things down to a multi-pad w/ a few aux pads/triggers connected. They rumored that the TD20 upgrade card would feature sampling capability, but that was years ago, and I'm giving up hope that they'll ever really do it.
I'm thinking of snagging an SPD-S off ebay soon.

The Duster

a part of me is saying "buy all three, and sell two later on."

but i think we can all agree that the "sell" part would never happen

m

ah, you subscribe to my philosophy, I see!

How'sabout a TD12 and an SPD-S?
I kinda wish I'd gone with that model when I upgraded.

If you don't like the SPD-S, I'll be glad to relieve you of it!

The Duster

the reason i'd go for the TD-20 over the TD-12 is the extra outputs.

Having more than 2 outputs is a great advantage when you're mixing later. So there's another point for the TD-20.

electikit

I already smashed my LCD on my SPD-S. Always have have problems getting enough volume out of it live--always have to crank the pre-gain on the board (which gets noisey). I recently bought a MC-909 Groovebox and MIDI linked my SPD-S to the MC-909. This way I can trigger the sounds off the Groovebox with the pads. Much better sound quality than the SPD-S, but then again, more set-up time and more$$$. Thinking about switching out the SPD-S for a ControlPad. Anyone interested in a SPD-S? email me.

Johnfixious

I have not had the roland spds for very long

at all

the difficult thing to keep in mind, is just how cool this thing will be once you have it personalized and setup.

It's like my Macbook, it was badass when i bought it, but now that i have it personalized and i can navigate to do the things that i want flawlessly.

Of course the sampling stuff is killer, having the ability to interrupt our singer's rants with an occasional sample from Tenacious D, priceless......

I also cheated a bit, i brought my memory card into a store with an spds and an spd20, took all the samples and sounds i wanted off it, and then tossed my memory card back in mine.

The most difficult thing about it is deciding how you want to use it, and of course finding a good place to get drum sounds and synths etc.

BFD is a great resource, stands for "big fucking drums" it's a studio program that can be used with protools etc, these have presampled drum sounds from drummer's kits like Matt Sorum for instance. Or you can beaf up your sound with some snare and BD triggers that trigger sounds from John Bonham's kit.

Learning how to use it is not tough, you figure it out or do it from the manual once and you've pretty much got it.
I'm still learning how to set the parameters and sensitivity on the thing, but all that is new to me.

You just need to have the desire to branch out and be less traditional with your approach to drumming.
Then pick up one of these bad boys
Learn to properly use it,
Find the stuff you want to use,
be patient and THEN you can pull it out for shows once your confident to use musically.

Johnfixious

electikit":51zaavvi said:
Always have have problems getting enough volume out of it live--always have to crank the pre-gain on the board (which gets noisey).

You did know that you can change the output volume on each individual sound/sample/anything.

Necronomichrist

i have been using the spd-s for about 6 months now, and i love it. i use it with the ethan stone band. ethan plays keys and key-bass, acoustic guitar, and electric. when he is on one instrument, i play the rest on the spd-s, via samples of each riff set to each pad, each patch being a different song. i trigger them in time, playing bass, trumpet, guitar, acoustic guitar, and other samples while playing kit. it's a lot of fun, and allows just the two of us to play like a 7-piece band. the spd-s has been great so far.

my only complaint is the lack of memory space for sampling. the spd-s itself has very little memory, so you need a compact flash card. that's fine, except you can't use anything above 512 MB, and when you sample as much as i need to when i play live, that isn't enough to cover several hours worth of material. so, i need to get another 512MB card and switch them while ethan does a solo tune in order to be play all of our songs.

other than that, it kicks ass, is extremely user friendly, and really stands up to serious playing.

Eiren

Johnfixious":avkge5g2 said:
I have not had the roland spds for very long

at all

the difficult thing to keep in mind, is just how cool this thing will be once you have it personalized and setup.

It's like my Macbook, it was badass when i bought it, but now that i have it personalized and i can navigate to do the things that i want flawlessly.

Of course the sampling stuff is killer, having the ability to interrupt our singer's rants with an occasional sample from Tenacious D, priceless......

I also cheated a bit, i brought my memory card into a store with an spds and an spd20, took all the samples and sounds i wanted off it, and then tossed my memory card back in mine.

The most difficult thing about it is deciding how you want to use it, and of course finding a good place to get drum sounds and synths etc.

BFD is a great resource, stands for "big fucking drums" it's a studio program that can be used with protools etc, these have presampled drum sounds from drummer's kits like Matt Sorum for instance. Or you can beaf up your sound with some snare and BD triggers that trigger sounds from John Bonham's kit.

Learning how to use it is not tough, you figure it out or do it from the manual once and you've pretty much got it.
I'm still learning how to set the parameters and sensitivity on the thing, but all that is new to me.

You just need to have the desire to branch out and be less traditional with your approach to drumming.
Then pick up one of these bad boys
Learn to properly use it,
Find the stuff you want to use,
be patient and THEN you can pull it out for shows once your confident to use musically.
BFD is awesome, I swear by it.

Definitely try get the Deluxe edition of it... as all the sounds on that were meticulously recorded by Mr. Steve Albini himself. Incredible stuff.

Rockula!

I have my share of frustrations with the SPDS
The biggest one has to be mis-triggering
I will admit that sometimes I will hit the wrong pad but that is not always the case
It is a great idea but I see the problems with having a sequencer right underneath a striking surface

If it were not for the SPDS I would not have invented my current solo performance