Roger Taylor

ChrisNichols

Just wondering. People are always talking about guys like Bonzo and Neil Peart (which is understandable, because they do kick serious arse). But I haven't seen anyone but me ever mention Roger Taylor.

He's my favourite drummer of all time, and he's influenced me more than anyone else. I'm just wondering why he gets so little press?

Eiren

I just saw this after posting about how AC/DC could still have put in the interesting beats, into a simple style of music... exactly as Roger Taylor did.

Had some amazing drumming ideas and a great musician. Responsible for one of the most iconic beats of all time... the WE WILL ROCK YOU stomp.

Rockula!

Roger Taylor gets overshadowed by the fact that he had two extrememly innovative musicians in his band
He is a great drummer and vocalist but unfortunately he isn't as important as Brian May and Freddie Mercury

ChrisNichols

Rockula!":2rabpjbe said:
He is a great drummer and vocalist but unfortunately he isn't as important as Brian May and Freddie Mercury
I don't think it's true that he isn't as IMPORTANT as Brian and Freddie. He just isn't as well known as them. Without Roger some of Queen's greatest songs would never have been written (Radio Ga Ga, I'm In Love With My Car...).

I just think it's a shame that such a great musician (and vocalist - he's got a great singing voice as well) gets so overlooked.

john_bonham73

honestly....I'm not a huge fan of his tuning techniques.I do admit though he represented a trend of that cardboard sound drum kit of the 70's.And it worked well for Queen's success.As a drummer though,I always thought he was right on point!

ChrisNichols

For sure. A lot of the time when the band's practicing and I'm trying to think of a good groove or fill to do here and there, I find myself thinking, "OK, what would Roger do..."

Scott_Hurford

john_bonham73":2hzx6qo9 said:
honestly....I'm not a huge fan of his tuning techniques.I do admit though he represented a trend of that cardboard sound drum kit of the 70's.And it worked well for Queen's success.As a drummer though,I always thought he was right on point!
:lol: join the topic "No Reso Heads" if u wanna argue about kit quality, haha only joking, but tht topic i mentioned is going mental for arguements :evil:

vgarate

He was the drummer who inspired me to get into this wonderful world! :D

He does the job with total presence, no overplays and has a great voice... not all drummers have those advantages.

Flatliner

Everytime I hear him play, I always think to myself "how come no one ever mentions this guy? he's certainly better than ringo." I think Taylor Really shines live, he pulls out some really cool stuff not playing strickly from the record.

Slammz

Roger Taylor is a big influence on me with his perfect parts that fit Queen's songs perfectly! I love the hi hat slurp he gets! It fits!!

meddlejordison

He is great. I am glad to see someone else feels that he is underrated. h didn't do a lot of fills but he was PERFECt for Queen. He just held back a lot. And all disciplined drummers know how to do that. That is what separates the good drummers from the great drummers.

ChrisNichols

Well, he DID do a lot of fills. Tons of the buggers. But he didn't overdo them and try and overpower everything else. He managed to make the drums sound really muscly but still work WITH everything else. You can really hear that on Fat Bottomed Girls and Sweet Lady.

He's actually the biggest influence on my fill style.