Rocket Shells... know anything about 'em?

drummerfreek55

I'm planning on upgrading my current kit at some point to a non-wood kit and by chance stumbled onto Rocket Shells and was wondering if anyone knows either what they sound like or can compare them to wood drums. From what I can tell this is probably my top choice when I do manage to upgrade but I'd like to get some background before I dive into it.

Timekeep69

I've never heard what they sound lke but they are EXPENSIVE. A 16x22 bass drum SHELL is $735.00. You're looking at some serious cash for a complete kit.

SmellsLikeIan

Ain't that the Rikki Rocket (poison) company? I may be a dumbass.....I do remember a few years ago when he was with some new company called Chop Shop. Does anyone remember the MD giveaway of their drums? They said the 4 piece shell pack was worth 15 grand or some ridiculous shit like that. Just plain black. With stupid looking lugs made of dice. Lame.

Or are the rocket shells carbon fiber or something like that? If so, that may explain the high price. I've never hard a carbon fiber set. Would like to know what they sound like.

Timekeep69

SmellsLikeIan":oc9y5cz5 said:
Ain't that the Rikki Rocket (poison) company? I may be a dumbass.....I do remember a few years ago when he was with some new company called Chop Shop. Does anyone remember the MD giveaway of their drums? They said the 4 piece shell pack was worth 15 grand or some ridiculous shit like that. Just plain black. With stupid looking lugs made of dice. Lame.

Or are the rocket shells carbon fiber or something like that? If so, that may explain the high price. I've never hard a carbon fiber set. Would like to know what they sound like.
You're thinking of Rockett Drum Works. That's Rikki's company. Rocket shells are carbon fiber shells, a completely different entity. Chop Shop drums were expensive because they custom airbrushed the finishes. Alot of Chop Shop drums are now Rockett Drum Works sets.

BleechDrummer

SmellsLikeIan":1ua8yw1i said:

YEA! I remeber that giveaway! It also came with like a bunch of Bosphorus Cymbals and DW hardware........preety sweet.

SGarrett

They actually sound really good and are hand molded. I'm not really fan because they do lack the warmth of wood but you can tune them however you want because there's no natural shell note, they are loud, and they have a surprising amount of resonance. I took a 10" tom and tuned it the same as a 10" DW birch tom and played for about half an hour.