Rock/Metal Cymbals

Ludwig24

I have been drumming for a few months now and I'm starting to get decent and I'm looking to buy an awesome cymbal setup. I will be playing Hardcore Rock and possibly some Metal so hopefully someone will know of a great setup for these types of music. I have been looking through Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, and Meinl and there are sooooooo many possibilities to choose from. I definitely need Hi-Hats, Ride, Crash, China, and Splash. If I need 2 of either then I could possibly do that. I don't need the cheapest available I can afford to spend quite a bit on these but I don't want to pay 400+ per cymbal either. I don't know much about the Meinl's, but the Zildijian A, Z, K, and Custom versions of those, Sabian AA, AAX, and Hand Hammered, and Paiste 2002's seem to sound the best from what I can tell by examples on the internet. I don't have anywhere to go test them out so I have to rely on the internet and outside opinions. I'm also completely clueless on what sizes to aim for as most seem to range from 15-20 or 20-22. Please just advise me on what would be a great setup. 2 of My favorite drummers are Alex Rodriguez from Saosin and Matt Greiner from August Burns Red if that helps any on what type of sound I'm looking for. Saosin is on the lesser end of the Hardcore genre while August Burns Red is Metal so that is the spectrum I'm aiming for. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

SGarrett

All you're going to get are personal opinions and "the brand I play is the best!".

I play Sabian AA, AAX, and HHX.

Ludwig24

Well I know that all of those brands are amazing I'm just looking for the best to fit my taste and sound and I know a lot of you have definitely heard more of them than I have so yes I'm relying on opinions but I don't think someone is going to tell me something is awesome if it sucks just to make themself feel better. I hope not at least. And the main thing I'm looking for is the types of each to get because there are a variety of hats, rides, crashes, etc. from thin to medium to rock to metal, etc. and the sizes on them as well. Brand opinions will also help though in terms of sound, durability, etc. Thanks!

Martybabes

If you're playing metal, you may want to mix it up with zildjian A customs and Z customs, mebbes with a K ride (i know it's more of a jazz cymbal but those things sound fucking awesome) try the paiste rude's aswell, they're probably some of the best cymbals for playing metal/hardcore, in my opinion. The rude china cymbals are the dogs bollocks, they're so good.

iatemygoat

devilspain":296ztzay said:
go for thicker cymbals if you looking to play rock/metal. less likely to break from hard hitting.
wrong worng worng worng wrong!!!

thicker cymbals mean brittle or easier to break IF YOU HIT HARD. Z Customs will last a long time if you arent a heavy hitter and will suit your sound wonderfully. also i just bought an A Custom and i love it. ive heard AAX AA and HHX are good for metal/rock but i persoanlly dont like them. see if any players near you in bands of your taste use any of these cymbals and go to a show. this is how i chose NOT to get AAX and AA's. also im playing on them on a kit provided by the bass player of one of the bands i just joined and i cant stand the way they sound.

ive always had a soft spot for Z customs since ive been using them for so long.

as for the rude cymbals as stated before me ive seen used by joey jordeson but ive never played them. always wanted to look into them though. anyone know of anyone esle who uses Rudes?

screamkevin

iatemygoat":26a0d1fi said:
as for the rude cymbals as stated before me ive seen used by joey jordeson but ive never played them. always wanted to look into them though. anyone know of anyone esle who uses Rudes?
Wow, that's gonna be a long list!

Just a few off the top of my head..

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse
Tommy Aldridge - Whitesnake/Pat Travers Band
Scott Travis - Judas Priest/Racer X
Charlie Benante - Anthrax
Aquiles Priester - Angra
Kenneth Schalk - Candiria
Matt Byrne - Hatebreed

That's all I know of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. I went for the guys that are playing what you are, more metal stuff. Check the Paiste site out for their artist roster.

iatemygoat

screamkevin":18dgito2 said:
iatemygoat":18dgito2 said:
Wow, that's gonna be a long list!

Just a few off the top of my head..

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse
Tommy Aldridge - Whitesnake/Pat Travers Band
Scott Travis - Judas Priest/Racer X
Charlie Benante - Anthrax
Aquiles Priester - Angra
Kenneth Schalk - Candiria
Matt Byrne - Hatebreed

That's all I know of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. I went for the guys that are playing what you are, more metal stuff. Check the Paiste site out for their artist roster.
ok cool. ive never really looked into Paiste because of the price.

mikeRFEdrummer

For hardcore or metal NEVER use thick cymbals, Derrek Roddy (one of the best death metal drummers around) can even tell u that. From my experiences in metal and hardcore (im a heaaaavy hitter) the thinner the better. Thinner cymbals are more likely to give and absorb the stick, where thicker cymbals dont give and are more prone to crack. I use the sabian HHX 18 inch on my left and I bought that thing used over a year ago and it has yet to get even the smallest crack in it, not to mention it sounds cherry. Definitely go for thinner especially for metal/hardcore, they sound brighter and cut through very nicely. You wont be dissapointed.

phil-drummer

iatemygoat":1vlj68le said:
devilspain":1vlj68le said:
hard hitting.

dave lombardo - slayer
nicko mcbrain - iron maiden
stewart copeland- the police

a variety of genres there, i think rudes are close to z customs in term of price and strength, of course the sounds will sound different, both are frickin loud if you want them to be

Empyrean Drums

There are more variables then just thickness that determine the rigidity of a cymbal and its ability to withstand cracking. The metallurgy and manufacturing method used to make the cymbal also play a huge role
And I like Derek Roddy too, but he’s not the messiah. He can tell you a lot of things, but its not like the word of god

ShadowDrummer

Paiste RUDEs are good especially live when you need that cutting power. Not trying to knock the Z custom but those don't match the cutting power that the RUDES do cuz the RUDES are unlathed.
The drummer from System of a Down uses RUDES as well.
The Rude china is the destroyer of senses!!!!!

Led

I know august burns red and saosin, I know exactly how those drummers plays and what style they play, what kind of set-up they have. Because I play that too. I've been drumming since i'm 4. Right now I have a zildjian avedis kit from the 70's it sound great for classic rock like paiste 2002 but it's not for metal hardcore, too thin it breaks and it doesn't sound heavy enough it lack loudness. I'm right in the midst of buying my real cymbal kit for good too so I,m gonna share my thoughs. For metal hardcore you MUST go for THICKER cymbales this is not your dad's metal or the 30 year old generation metal, its modern hardcore metal here, Most of the metalcore drummer plays ride cymbales 20" and over. I'm gonna buy this: paiste rude hi-hat 14" sound-edge or 15" 2002 but better going with 14" rude. rude crashride 19", rude ridecrash 20" and wild ride 2002 22". that's what i'm ordering next week. My ride that I'm crashing constantly, wich is common in modern metal harcore, is a zildjian custom A 20" its sound great its a really good cymbal but its not large enough, that's why I'm going for a paiste wild ride 22" to me its the perfect cymbale for what I do. And thats my opinion. Aaron Gillespie from Underoath uses all ride cymbales, meinl byzance 21", 22" and 24" and I think it sounds great too. He use the meinl dark crisp hi-hat 14". Check this out but don't listen to the metal old-timer because the sound is completly different. I like metal but I hate the sound it has in the metal scene, thin guitar triggered drum etc. I like vintage wide heavy natural sound. And that's what is actually the sound of modern metalcore. Have a good one, I hope my post help you out.

Led of montreal

xdoseonex

its really all preference. but the one thing i can say from experience is that darker cymbals such as K's or K customs, HH, and HHX can have touble cutting through the devastating tones of heavier music. i think bright cymbals are much better suited for metal and such

gretsch4life

im not going to bother to recommend you cymbals since that has been done plenty. however i will tell you to learn how to play your cymbals properly. i see so many drummers breaking brand new cymbals within the first couple weeks. and with any cymbal you should ALWAYS buy the extended warranty.

SGarrett

iatemygoat":1rkpmiz4 said:
devilspain":1rkpmiz4 said:
go for thicker cymbals if you looking to play rock/metal. less likely to break from hard hitting.
wrong worng worng worng wrong!!!

thicker cymbals mean brittle or easier to break IF YOU HIT HARD. Z Customs will last a long time if you arent a heavy hitter and will suit your sound wonderfully. also i just bought an A Custom and i love it. ive heard AAX AA and HHX are good for metal/rock but i persoanlly dont like them. see if any players near you in bands of your taste use any of these cymbals and go to a show. this is how i chose NOT to get AAX and AA's. also im playing on them on a kit provided by the bass player of one of the bands i just joined and i cant stand the way they sound.

ive always had a soft spot for Z customs since ive been using them for so long.

I dare say you heard an AA and AAX setup that wasn't picked out correctly. You've probably seen me post my setup a few times, but I'll do it again for those who haven't. I play 13" HHX Stage Hats, 16" AAX-Plosion (that gets replaced with an 18.5" Chad Smith Sig for metal), 18 AAX Metal Crash, 19" AAX-Plosion, and a 21" AA Rock Ride. I can use that for metal, stoner rock, or pop/rock and get compliments on every gig I've use them on. I personally feel that the AAX-Plosion is one of the most versatile cymbals on the market.

Bon Zep

i tell you the best thing you can do is go to a store and hopefully they will let you sit down and play with a variety of cymbals till you find what you think will work for you.....i always have said that the cymbal selection is a personal choice, but definately don't buy thicker,they do become more brittle over time.........kudos to you for asking though,its a good question,i play every type of music from traditional country to anthrax and slayer, zeppelin,acdc and even some jazz andgospel music, i use a combination of zildjian titaniums(nice coating NOT) to aax plosions and for my ride a have an old old old paiste 24 inch-iys like a gong lol,but no matter how hard you hit it its still dry and sweet.........

ZaQ[MTG]

Sabian Vault

i play in a hardcore nband myself...and i have tried countless cymbal set ups...

the vaults shine through perfectly and can take a bloody beating.

live or in the studio...vault is the way to go...

ZaQ

goatatl

Z Customs for my money. I did have a Paiste Rep tell me @ a NAMM show that really thick cymbals aren't well-suited for crashes, because they'll crack from their own vibration.

stu

I played metal for 10 + years now. Rude is the way to go. but I would also suggest mixing it up with maybe a 2002 17" thin or 18 for quieter more melodic passages. I have not checked out the rude thin crashes yet that might be a route to concider.