righty and lefty question...

drumsforlife

I've heard that if you're a lefty and you set-up and play your kit righty, then that leaves you some options as you will play open-handed. That's nothing new. But I was curious if you're a righty, and set-up your kit lefty, would not the same apply?

Curiosity killed the cat. I am in no way thinking of doing this, it's just a random thought that crossed my mind. I mean, it seems like common sense that the same would apply to righties setting up lefty, but anyway...discuss...flame...do whateva...

brown boots

The right hand set up for all people is important, I think, because it is more convenient for everyone concerned. There`s nothing worse to have to change the kit around, when there are a number of people playing. I think all drumming can be learnt on a RH kit, with maybe the ride cymbal positioned on the same side of the hi-hat. I understand also, it`s good for the old brain to be able to lead with the right or left. It could be regarded as being cool to be able to switch either way when playing a song. I don`t know what other people think.

xdoseonex

the way i see it your leading hand determins how you shoul b going around the toms. if you lead with your right you should be going left to right and visa versa

drumsforlife

I think y'all missed my point. I was trying to be comical in asking that question, because you always see somebody asking about lefties playing on righty kits, but you never see righties playing on lefty kits. IDK that was just something I found hilarious. My sense of humor is a lil twisted sometimes.

However, lot of useful information so far, which I didn't gamble on receiving from this. Score....

BillRayDrums

If left=G.I.Jane and right=G.I. Joe, then I'm.......Gee I don't Know!

Before you read too far into that, know that I'm a raging vagitarian.

drumsforlife

Am I going to say it again? Am I? OHHHHHH OK! Bill, you da man! You're cool as hell. One thing I can always count on: this forum to keep me busy while I'm at work. Doesn't get any better than getting paid to goof around on DML! Rock on!

Oh yea, vagitarian. That cracked me up.

break the prism

the big problem for many drummers if they switch from a righty kit to a lefty, is the change from using your right foot on the kick to using your left foot.

FelterSkelter

While we're on the topic, I read an article about Phish. The article talked about practice sessions they would do where they would do things like play blindfolded, or setup the drums lefty. They were most certainly under other influences as well but that sounds like great exercise for a band.

drumsforlife

FelterSkelter":ncs0j06b said:
While we're on the topic, I read an article about Phish. The article talked about practice sessions they would do where they would do things like play blindfolded, or setup the drums lefty. They were most certainly under other influences as well but that sounds like great exercise for a band.
seems like all it could do is help...well, except for being "under the influence..."

wicked_313

hey im a lefty player i played for one year on a gighty kit and its really hard i juust couldnt play right

then i played a lefty kit and it is much easyier

i dont see why u complain it takes me under 20 seconds to switch a kit around

brown boots

Left or right hand set up. When I first starrted teaching, I used to change the kit around for LH drummers. I found out later on, it was much easier to teach RH & LH lead on a RH set up. Everybody that tried this approach has found this method OK & actually prefer it. I think it has to be done from lesson 1 to get results.

break the prism

i taught myself lefty, but always played a righty kit. after a few years of playing open-handedly i decided to attempt a switch to righty. unknowingly, i developed a skill that i've come to find out very few of my peers have. being able to lead with either hand has really helped me develop my own style, as well as improved my over competence on the kit.

kris10

break the prism":2xfg1rlr said:
the big problem for many drummers if they switch from a righty kit to a lefty, is the change from using your right foot on the kick to using your left foot.
im a left handed drummer and its not much of a problem for me..every now and then there comes a beat that gets a little tricky cuz my foot is isnt a "strong" but for the most part im fine