Rides...

noobdrummer

hey guys im about to purchase a new ride. i have been using my mates ride on my kit (which is a kinda no name brand) and i dont really think i use it that much but i think i should have one. I really dont want to spend a heaps of money on something that im not going to use much so...im a Zildjian man and am just thinking about getting the cheap Planet Z or ZBT ride. Do yous think its a good idea? I know its all about personal preference but what do yous think of these 2 rides? but keep in mind i wont be using them much.
Cheers

screamkevin

More than any other cymbal in your kit, you ride is your "voice". It speaks directly about you and your music. Don't ever skimp on a ride.

That said, out of the two, go for the ZBT. It's light years beyond the Planet Z, which is just junk.

rufus4dagruv

screamkevin":ql7js3rz said:
More than any other cymbal in your kit, you ride is your "voice". It speaks directly about you and your music. Don't ever skimp on a ride.

That said, out of the two, go for the ZBT. It's light years beyond the Planet Z, which is just junk.
Agreed. Planet Z is only an option if you have little to no money and need a ride yesterday. Even then, I would hold out and save up for just about anything else. You could probably find a relatively cheap ZBT on Ebay.

Johnny Cat

I don't really think it's that important if you say you're not going to be using it very much. The ride cymbal may be the voice of the kit for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean it is for everyone. I would say for me it's my hihats more than my ride (though I AM really happy with the ride cymbal I have). I'm VERY picky with my hihat sound, because I play the shit out of them doing a lot of articulate stuff. It really depends on the voice that YOU want to have coming from your kit.

Having said that, I would go with a cheaper ride until you find yourself not very happy with. Then you may realize you enjoy playing a ride more than you first thought, and you can always sell it or trade it in for a better one. Or you may not. You may be perfectly fine with the one you go with now. And then again, you may not be playing a ride very much BECAUSE it's your friend's really cheap one. You could walk into a store and hit a ride cymbal that speaks to you in a way you've never heard any other cymbal and you'll instantly fall in love with it and just HAVE to buy it. At least explore your options a bit farther.

Go with what YOU really think you need to do.

skitch

Johnny Cat":6idmq8nf said:
I don't really think it's that important if you say you're not going to be using it very much. The ride cymbal may be the voice of the kit for a lot of people, but it doesn't mean it is for everyone. I would say for me it's my hihats more than my ride (though I AM really happy with the ride cymbal I have). I'm VERY picky with my hihat sound, because I play the shit out of them doing a lot of articulate stuff. It really depends on the voice that YOU want to have coming from your kit.

Having said that, I would go with a cheaper ride until you find yourself not very happy with. Then you may realize you enjoy playing a ride more than you first thought, and you can always sell it or trade it in for a better one. Or you may not. You may be perfectly fine with the one you go with now. And then again, you may not be playing a ride very much BECAUSE it's your friend's really cheap one. You could walk into a store and hit a ride cymbal that speaks to you in a way you've never heard any other cymbal and you'll instantly fall in love with it and just HAVE to buy it. At least explore your options a bit farther.

Go with what YOU really think you need to do.
Yeah,

I would have to agree with you on the voice of the kit. At one time, the ride cymbal was the most critical cymbal of the kit, but times have changed and trends like the shifting of the primary time keeping device of the drumset has changed as well. The ride used to be the primary time keeper in 1950s, 60s and early 70s. But with close micing and rock music, the shift went to the hi hats....kinda like triplets. The drummers who influenced my generation were mostly jazz drummers in rock bands and they could rule the triplet. Now everything is duple-based with triplets being a tremendous obstacle for many drummers.

king_friday

im all about ride cymbals, in fact i dont even have a crash cymbal, i have a 21 inch A sweet ride and a 20 inch A medium ride, i use both of the as crash cymbals at times and ride cymbals. they work great as both in my opinion. as far as the planet z and zbts go, between those two the zbt would be a better choice. you also might want to check out the zxt line, those really arnt that expensive and they have a better sound than the zbts

SOADRUMMER1089

SGarrett":3l3xq7l3 said:
Go to a store that sells used cymbals and get a higher quality ride for the same price. :)
AMEN lol i dislike zildjian rides but if your gonna get one find the one that fits your style of music (terms of rock ride metal ride dry ride blah blah all that) and get at least a Z custom planet Zs lol youd be better off hitting a plate with a mug on it for your bell i wouldnt get those for free.

noobdrummer

yeh now that i think about it a zxt ride would be good cause they arnt that much more expensive and im in no rush for one, but thanks heaps fellas.

SGarrett

My first ride was a 20" Bronze Scimitar. I still have it somewhere, too.

Go to eBay and type in "20" ride cymbal" (without the quotation marks) and see what you get. It might show you that a used ride from a higher line won't be much more than the ZXT you're looking at.

Llama_Dude

Unless you are really sold on zildjian get an Xs20 medium ride from Sabian. They are B20 which is what the higher grade cymbals are, an they are just a little bit, if any, more expencive than th ZBT's

drummer912

Saluda man, they can custom make the ride (or any other cymbal for that matter) for no extra cost, plus the rides only cost an average of about $150 so thts great.

break the prism

either that or just find a used one. i just recently bought a 19" K dark crash, barely used off of eBay for 120.00
it's amazing what you can find in the way of cymbals and such, if you really look.

SmellsLikeIan

drummer912":fy4ereau said:
Saluda man, they can custom make the ride (or any other cymbal for that matter) for no extra cost, plus the rides only cost an average of about $150 so thts great.
Yeah, what he said! :mrgreen: