Ride Cymbals....

ViciousCircle5

Whats a good high end all purpose ride??? I play all styles of music, but i'm looking to get more into fusion/funk type stuff. I play one the bell alot. Any suggestions, personal advice???
Thanks!
Tim

Shalaq

If your'e looking for a multi-purpose ride, then every cymbal maker have a regular or medium ride- these rides are clean sounding, versatile and most of the time have a nice, sweet sounding bell. But it will be easier to guide you if you'd tell us what sound are you looking for. :)

funkdrmr

I'm using Zildjian's Ping Ride. It's the only ride I have right now, but the bell is a little small.

I actually think the K Custom Dry Ride is pretty versatile. My teacher has one and he uses it for anything from jazz, fusion, to rock.

securityknight

Fusion/Funk?... Sabian HH Raw-Bell Dry Ride.

But you have to get out there and hit on them to know what your ear likes. NEVER buy cymbals online unless you REALLY know how that cymbal sounds and how consistant the line is. You must llisten to them in person. Be sure to take your other cymbals to see how they sound together...if they compliment. Hope this helps...

v/r

SecurityKnight

Benny J

hey guys! Just wanna recommend the 22" Paragon Ride... I love it.. its great for metal, jazz and funk... whatever your style... Great Ping from the bell and a great wash...

Cheers

sharkscott

If you are a fan of classic rock I would go for the 2002 ride because you probably like it and don't know you do. I do. ;-)

If you are younger and not a classic rock fan then I would go for the Siganture Full ride, it has a great bell sound and an even and controllable wash under it.

I use a Sigature Dry Heavy Ride and it has a grest bell and breast sound but is very hard to get the wash to come up. For me that is good because when I play I tend to hit too hard as it is and not having the wash take over keeps my ride from crashing out.

Juice_Terry

whitey1000":gij7dabr said:
zildjian 21" rock ride. 10 years+, and i'll never use another.
I had a 21" rock ride too, bought it off this hippy for 80 quid in the early 90's,, he had it for about 5 years then I got another good hard 10 years out of it, when it cracked a little piece of me died.
:cry:
Oh well. Glad it was'nt a Paste, man do they love to crack, but sound so good.

Rob Crisp

I have 2 rides. I only tend to use one depending on what I'm playing.

WIth my band I use an A Custom 20" Medium ride, it has a nice sounding bell, full bodied tone and nice stick definition but can also cut through the distortion on the guitars. It would be fine in a rock, funk setup.

I also have a K Custom 20" Dry Light Ride, which I love to bits! Didn't cut through the guitars in my band, hence why I bought the other one but sounds wicked for jazz and Funk. I actually prefer it for funk playing!

anavrinIV

ill second the hh raw bell dry ride. i have one and its absolutely amazing. i play metal mostly and thats what my band plays but illl throw in some funk because i like the grooves and even with jazz, this ride works wonders. it has a bit of wash but less than most rides ive played and its bell is awesome...unlathed, raw, and brutal. i was never a bell person until i got this ride and now ill use it for accents just to use it.

ChiefJustice

Theres only one Ride to play for you..

PAISTE 2002 22" RIDE!!!
(not heavy ride or mega bell etc ..just RIDE))

I play this for a long time in all styles of music from Rockabilly to Death Metal from Blues to a little bit Jazz

drummersabu

this may be what you looking for. Dude im so into the bell stuff as well and you know what. This rider has a Clear and Loud sound and The bell sounds Great and louder of course.

Fuck Zildgian and Sabian... I went to Guitar Center I tried everything they had and you know what... the sound was NOT even close to how great Paiste Signature Dry heavy Ride 21'

Try it for yourself and thank me later. I have that much confidence you'll like it BETTER than Zildgian and Sabian.

by the way..... can you show me some funk stuff music wise... I wanna hear what that about. I've hear of it but I cant really tell what the hell is funk and fusion

be well

wg93081

I use 20' pAisTe 502 Ride! I was using a 22' pAisTe 404 Ride (I believe that what it is!!) but put it away. It's a nice sounding ride, but the overtones started to take over, and my 20' 502 Ride just has the right amount of warmth to it. Right now I'm looking into retiring that ride in favour of the Signature Dry or Earth Ride. I love those sounds they produce!!!

ViciousCircle5":9sxrrqh2 said:
Whats a good high end all purpose ride??? I play all styles of music, but i'm looking to get more into fusion/funk type stuff. I play one the bell alot. Any suggestions, personal advice???
Thanks!
Tim
Actually there is never a - so-called "All Purpose Ride"....but nearer to this...I highly recommend the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark 1 Ride...it's a beautiful ride specially for FUSION STYLE
Music....

check it out.

Drummersefton

I use a 20" Z custom Heavy Ride, i only got it caus its cheap but i love it, used it for al sorts, sounds great, but A custom r proberly best "all rnd cymbal"

aSpurz62

Okay. You want a high-end-all-purpose ride, play all styles of music, but you're looking for a ride that leans more towards funk and/or fusion. AND you play on the bell a lot.

Well, I have a good suggestion but I'll probably get ripped apart for this. Hahaha. Joking...I hope... :(

I personally have experience with the Zildjian Avedis 20" Earth Ride. It's totally unlathed and unhammered. The ride is VERY heavy. This lends to great control, but you can make it loud if you want it. The wash of the cymbal sound is somewhat difficult to get up but it's there. The bell is large and in charge and has an excellent ping to it. The price for them isn't half-bad either. At roughly $200 you can't get much better in my opinion. The ride also comes with the option of a brilliant finish for no extra charge. That would lend a slightly higher pitch I believe.

In my experience this ride worked wonders for funk, rock, SOME jazz (but that's only because I like more wash when I play jazz) and some metal for the loud bell and overall sound.

But I can only give you advice into my personal insight. And only YOU can choose to take it in. I suggest that you go to a local retailer and try their rides out yourself. Take some of your cymbals too in order to make sure that they go well together.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Conor

zildjian sweet ride. its got a great bell, and it sounds great playin regular also. it makes a great crash too.

break the prism

RD Of DrummerWorld":3i5icws5 said:
ViciousCircle5":3i5icws5 said:
Thanks!
Tim
Actually there is never a - so-called "All Purpose Ride"....but nearer to this...I highly recommend the Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark 1 Ride...it's a beautiful ride specially for FUSION STYLE
Music....

check it out.
i can vouch for that. i just bought one used off of Ebay for $150. i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the price. these things go for over $300 new.