ride chain

phil-drummer

what is one , ive seen a few picks, but i actually know what their used for, or what style. , someone explain .

MasterShake89

if your talking about the chain of metalic balls that u hook to the cymbal stand and let sit on the ride, it gives it a sizzle sound when you hit the ride. i dont know what particular style theyre used for either tho...

m

yes, it's a temporary way to add sizzle to any ride cymbal; it's meant to emulate a ride with rivets. It's mostly used for jazz, but don't let that stop you.
I tried the pro-mark model on one of our recent recording sessions, it's a cool tone.

Shalaq

Also worth mentioning is that it can save a trashcan lid cymbal sound. I many times come across very cheap cymbals and I hate brass crashes that sound so focused they should be used as a ride. Put a rivet on them and they have a little more sustain and a sweeter sound in general.

wii2525

I also heard a few paperclips on far edge on your ride adds some sizzle. They said not too many or else you lose some projection or something like that.

wii2525

Yeah, the two guys that told me about that spent like a month making homemade ways to add effect to their cymbals.

They were really into rubberbanding used soda cans to rides tho, and i was like...eww? Sounds kinda, echh. But who knows?

chris_stuff_er

about 8 years ago i saw the drummer for my church do this...it sounded pretty cool, but then again it was praise music (bleh!). i wonder how it would fit into something perhaps like, um, say metal?! That and they sizzle for a long time if you hit the cymbal at its edge. And that can be distracting if it needs to decay faster due to other cues in the music. I think i'm going to try the paper clip notion though. see what surfaces.

FelterSkelter

Shalaq":10scr643 said:
Also worth mentioning is that it can save a trashcan lid cymbal sound. I many times come across very cheap cymbals and I hate brass crashes that sound so focused they should be used as a ride. Put a rivet on them and they have a little more sustain and a sweeter sound in general.
Agreed. I got a new ride but still kept my old B8 around and threw a sizzler on it. It's great for a recording effect. It can really give your old, beat up cymbals a desirable tone again.

satanJohn

Go to your local hardware store and get some ball chain. It comes in different diameters, get about a foot of each size. Different diameters give different tones. When you get home, tie a little loop of string to one end of each chain. Put the string loop over the cymbal post and trim the chain so it doesn't hang over the edge of the cymbal. Now you have a sizzler and only spent a couple bucks instead of the $10.00-$20.00 the music store would have wanted.