Reuthers!

wii2525

I found a beat-up old set of Reuthers, which I'm pretty sure is one of the brands Pearl built for before they became Pearl. They look pretty vintage, and I was thinking about gettin 'em to fix 'em up.

What do you guys know about Reuthers, and what do think they're worth, money-wise or just plain sentimental/collection value?

zen_drummer

They are not very collectable, and they can be had a garage sales all across the country for under a hundred bucks.

Your comment about "one of the brands Pearl built for before they became Pearl" isn't really accurate... It's one of the brands Pearl manufactured before the Pearl name was popular, not before they were Pearl.

These days a lot of people consider Pearl to be an American company and people think that vintage Pearl drums must be collectable. The reality is that the older Pearl drums with names like Reuther, Whitehall, and such, are really just junky drums without a lot of value. The fact that Pearl had anything to do with them doesn't pull up their value.

If you REALLY want to collect cheap 60's drums, then keep on the lookout for Kent Drums that were made in Kenmore NY, those are rapidly becoming more valuable each day and MANY can still be had quite inexpensively.

wii2525

Thanks for the info! I had a feeling they were cheap junk, but I was hoping that they'd be worth spending my time fixing 'em up.

ThePloughman

Ah, now .cheap junk doesnt mean worthless. I have a 4 piece set of early 70s Astro drums........ i have no idea what Godzilla company spawned these things, but they are literally crap. I have more money in heads than the drums are worth, and none of the heads match, the only decent ones are on top, and Ive got an SK1 on the 20"bass. Its a 20-12-14. I have a Rogers clone single tom mount, an L arm mount for the BD. Every third insert must be held with a pair of pliers to achieve tune up tension. The are blue ripple. They will never see cases. If they are destroyed theres no damage. I can toss them in the truck and haul them to a practice place, a park, they can sit on concrete. I dont care if they get dinged or abused. They are total crap. But............. I am not dragging a three thousand or four thousand or seven thousand dollar set of vintage tubs to a two hour practice session every week. I paid a hundred bucks for them. And tuned, as dificult as that is to do, makes them sound decent.

Airborne Ranger

I agree about Kent drums, they are rapidly becoming collectible. I think they sound ok for budget drums, they used to buy their shells from Gretsch but their hardware left a little to be desired. Kent made drums under a few different brand names, Revere & Champion were other names for the virtually the same drums.