Returning to Drumming help on choices

David

Hello Drummers,
My name is David, I played drums in my younger days but have worked as a professional photographer lately. I've played Ludwigs in early 80's and owned Tama superstars in the early 90's but quit soon after. I'm planning on purchasing a new set and need some advice. I like the looks of the Yamaha and Gretch fushion sets and the Sabian or Zildian cymbals. When I bought the superstars I made the mistake of Zildian Amir cymbals and I don't want to make that mistake again. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks David

David

I would like to stay under $1500.00 for drums, cymbals, throne, and a DW twin pedal.
Thanks David

Flatliner

well the peal exports sound pretty decent which gives you some extra money to play with for cymbal and pedal purchases.

Shalaq

As I am a Mapex man, I suggest trying out Mapex Pro M and M Birch series. Their VX also sound good. And it will leave you with extra cash for cymbals, as Mapex kits are relatively cheap for the sound they have.

zen_drummer

Hi David, Welcome back to drumming!

1500 bucks can buy some pretty good stuff, but it’s also a precarious price point if you’re buying everything from scratch. You should always check out the used gear in your area because it's always good to have an idea of what your money could buy if you're buying used. But personally, I like new stuff whenever possible.

With a basic shell pack of semi-pro drums, you can expect to spend from 600-1200 bucks for just the drums. You can get away with the lower end of that just fine, but with cymbals, a few extra bucks goes a LONG way because frankly, semi-pro cymbals don’t cut it. They sound bad and have a really weak resale value.

That being said I’d suggest getting PRO level cymbals, a semi-pro shell pack, and mid level hardware. You’ll get the most bang for your buck that way, and your kit will sound like you spent a whole lot more.

Now at that price point, something has got to give… and in this case, I’d suggest that you hold out on that DW Double Kick pedal. At 219.00 bucks it would make it so you either have to go to lower priced drums, or even worse, cheaper cymbals to hit your budget.

Anyway, I put together a shopping list for what I feel would give you a HUGE bang for the buck in a $1500 drum kit.

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple. These are really decent drums for the money, and this kit here features a free second floor tom. It’s a nice 6 piece kit for 700 bucks. The free Floor tom is a pretty big deal, because the Tom all by itself retails for nearly 400 bucks and the price on the street is a bit over $225.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=445670

Cymbals: This is a great value, The Zildjian A Custom Cymbal Pack comes with a gig bag, ride, hats and a crash, and they toss in a Free 14” Fast Crash Cymbal. Then Musicians friend kicks in a cymbal stand as well. The cymbals are outstanding for the money, and they are true pro-level stuff that will hold it’s value.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=445957

Hardware: Here’s where we chump out… Let’s face it… good hardware is expensive and you can upgrade to it over time. ALSO, Hardware makes no SOUND, so going towards the low end will not in any way effect the sound of your kit. Lets also be honest… cheap double braced hardware today is better than ANYTHING that was available in the 1960s and 70’s, so stop your whimpering and get the cheap stuff. You’ll save a ton of dough and later you can get expensive stuff that isn’t really any better at doing the job. This 5-piece drum hardware package includes a hi-hat stand, boom cymbal stand, straight cymbal stand, snare stand, and bass drum pedal. All hardware is double-braced. It’s good enough. Toss the kick pedal first when you upgrade. The throne I listed is a basic bicycle style seat, sturdy and gets the job done
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=444057

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=444631

It all adds up to $1518.00 bucks, no tax, no freight, that’s all included. If you add the DW pedal you’ll be at a whopping $1738.80 which is a BARGAIN for a Gretsch kit, with Zildjian Pro level cymbals, hardware AND a DW Double Kick Pedal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=443464

So here's how it all breaks down...

Drums: 699.00 (includes free 16" floor Tom)
Cymbals 649.95 (Includes free 14"fast crash, Gig bag and cymbal stand)
Hardware: 119.95
Throne: 49.95

Total 1518.85

Add the DW Double Kick: +219.00

1738.80 INCLUDING FREIGHT and NO TAX…

If you do decide to buy the kit, go there through this link first, that way the DrumsMyLife Forum gets credit for the sale!:

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2250100-10399768

David

Thanks Zen Drummer,
It really helps out when someone in the loop can point the best way to go. Sorry I did'nt reply sooner I work rotating shifts of 12 hour days three at a time so when I'm working I have very little time to check e-mails. Is the Gretch really better than the Yamaha's. I like them both and the Gretch would be fine but I'm just curious. Again thanks for the advice I may go ahead and look into the Musicians Friend Credit Card so I can get started back sooner.
Thanks David

screamkevin

David":1wo5bp60 said:
Thanks Zen Drummer,
It really helps out when someone in the loop can point the best way to go. Sorry I did'nt reply sooner I work rotating shifts of 12 hour days three at a time so when I'm working I have very little time to check e-mails. Is the Gretch really better than the Yamaha's. I like them both and the Gretch would be fine but I'm just curious. Again thanks for the advice I may go ahead and look into the Musicians Friend Credit Card so I can get started back sooner.
Thanks David
David,

As Mike said, it's not that Gretsch is any better or worse than Yamaha. It's bang for the buck, and righ now Gretsch is giving a free drum away with that purchase, so you're getting a 6-piece for the price of a 5-piece. Good luck, man! Go for it, and welcome back to drumming! :wink:

David

Thanks Guys,
One more Question, is there a little cheaper set of cymbals so I can still get my Double pedal. If not thats OK I do want the best sound quality I can get.
Thanks David

screamkevin

David,

You could look at some of the other Pre-Packs from Zildjian and Sabian. Keep in mind, though, you'll be sacrificing sound quality for cost. I know that Sabian does their B8Pro and B8 Packs, and Zildjian has their ZBT Packs and I think ZXT Packs too. Also check out some entry packs from Paiste and Meinl. I'd recommend Saluda, as I endorse them, but they currently don't offer any lower-priced beginner packs of cymbals. Hope this helps.

zen_drummer

David":1f10zhyr said:
Thanks Guys,
One more Question, is there a little cheaper set of cymbals so I can still get my Double pedal. If not thats OK I do want the best sound quality I can get.
Thanks David
I was thinking about that when I tossed out the suggestions, but here is why I suggested what I did...

As Drummers, were really cymbal players most of the time. Think about it, you've pretty much ALWAYS got the hi-hats or the rides going the entire time you play. You'll hit your cymbals on the order of 4-8 times as often as you hit any drum, unless of course you're a death metal player in which case your kick drums work overtime... So much of the sound we get from our drum kits is defined by the cymbals we use, this is why I'm so damn picky about cymbals myself!

Now, you could go to a cheaper set of cymbals in a B8 alloy, but you'll lose the professional sound that comes from the better cymbals. Yeah, you could go to a B8 cymbal pack, but you'll lose the bang for the buck factor, plus, the suggestion I made came with a freebee 14" crash, and Musicians Friend tosses in a stand as well. A cheaper cymbal set would have to be a LOT cheaper to overcome that difference! What I suggested will have you sounding like you spent serious dough, for a fraction of the price.

So really, it's up to you, skimp on the cymbals and get the pedal, or skimp on the pedal and have a better sounding overall kit, like I said in my original post, you're at a precarious price point. Another suggestion is to hit ebay for your cymbals and get some great quality used ones for less dollars.

Bowmanator

1500 - gretsch catalina birch or maple and a pack of sabian hhx or aZildjian A customs and some hardware would be primo for 1500. Gretsch reknown maple, Pacific LX would also be about there. Stay away from Pearl Exports, the shells are the same as the super-cheap forum kits which you are shooting way higher that, they just have a paint job and black hardware to entice you. Yamaha Stage Customs would be a great choice as well.

If you go to guitar center, really grind them on price for a package deal, their mantra is to never let a dsales deal walk out the door. You may even be able to get a Yamaha Oak custom kit and cymbals/hardwar for @ 1500-1700, which is a pro level kit and they sound awesome.

David

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on placing an order within the next week. Another question I have is what about heads, will I need to c\hange the heads first thing to get a good sound or will the factory ones be allright.
Thanks David

zen_drummer

David":3bwnm0mu said:
Thanks for the info, I'm planning on placing an order within the next week. Another question I have is what about heads, will I need to c\hange the heads first thing to get a good sound or will the factory ones be allright.
Thanks David
On the gretsch kit, the kick drum heads are pretty good, they are evans, I'm not sure which one, but they are not a cheapy toss-out head. The toms have what I believe are one ply evans with the gretsch logo on them. If not, I do know they sound pretty good. Wear 'em out before you buy new heads.

bowmanator":3bwnm0mu said:
You may even be able to get a Yamaha Oak custom kit and cymbals/hardwar for @ 1500-1700, which is a pro level kit and they sound awesome.
They do sound awesome, and they really should considering the price. But it's pretty unlikely he can afford them considering the fact that a four piece shell pack with no hardware, no cymbals and no SNARE DRUM lists for 2795.00 and the best price I've seen on them is nearly 1700 bucks not including ANYTHING!

Also, Gretsch Renowns are way out of the price range unless he plans on making cymbal stands out of coat hangers and cymbals out of pizza pans...

David

Thanks guys. My money may have just dwindled down to $1000.00 so I still can get the Gretch drums but cymbals may have to change to Sabian B8. Do they sound alright, I may not have a choice now.
Thanks David

Shalaq

Whatever you do, try to get as good cymbals as you can. With drums you can tweak the sound to make it better, but with cymbals- either they sound good or not. I suggest lookin for cymbals from Istanbul Agop or Mehmet. They are quality cymbals and are 50% less expensive than Sabian or Zildjian. Look for them at www.cymbalsonly.com - Tony's got some great prices for them.