Retiring from drumming

Dale

Well today I had to resign from the drums due to ill health. Perhaps at a later date I may be able to play again, but at this point it seems unlikely.

I'll still play percussion though and I really enjoy it. It probably interests me more these days anyway. I rarely pick up the sticks these days but am able to spend up to 4 hours playing an udu drum. :)

I may not even miss it.

Unsure if I should still offer my points of view on drumming here though, seeing as I am no longer a drummer.

Oh well. Hopefully one day I'll get back to it.

Shalaq

That's very sad :( I hope you will still be a part of the forum though.
If you can't be a full time drummer, have you considered teaching drumming? Maybe that'd be a way not to loose contact with the instrument.

Qbs

oh... :( this really sucks.

I myself suffer from a very annoying ganglion cysts on my right wrist and every day I pray that it won't turn into anything serious.

Anyway I wish you all the best and hope that one day you will be able to drum again and please do stay with us on the forum! :)

devilspain

good luck dale mate!! stay in touch with the forum! every drummer/ex drummer has tips and advice good luck for the future.

Animal

Dale":2dw3gpiq said:
Well today I had to resign from the drums due to ill health. Perhaps at a later date I may be able to play again, but at this point it seems unlikely.
Oh, man that's a bummer! It really saddens me to hear this!
I just wish you a happy new year, and I hope you find other activity to be cheerful about as a surrogate to drumming!

Stay with us on this site! At least you get to talk about drums, and we get to stay in touch with you!

Dale":2dw3gpiq said:
Oh well. Hopefully one day I'll get back to it.
I really wish that to happen! :D

Rock on, man! 8)

Dale

Thanks guys.

I am okay with it because I can still play percussion. I've really gotten into frame drumming and other hand drums and even derive nearly as much joy from a shaker as I do from a kit. To be honest I feel more like a percussionist than a drummer these days anyway.

Although I do love the drum set. Man, what an incredible instrument it is.

I intend to stay positive and will be buying a new kit. I hope that it will inspire me to keep playing. It all really depends on the progress of the arthritis. The major problem is caused from having to use my feet. It puts undue pressure on the spine even when I play heel down.

I am really going to get stuck in heavily to the timbales and other stick related drums that can be played while standing up.

As one said above it would be good to teach, well, I was teaching and will continue with my current students. But I told the head teacher at the shop I wont be accepting anymore drumset students. I just don't feel right about it until I can get back to playing. It's no good teaching from memory alone. I will however keep teaching percussion.

So thanks. I want to add that this thread isn't for sympathy. I really did wonder if I should keep posting because I suddenly felt redundant. :)

zen_drummer

Dale":1zevdqbl said:
I really did wonder if I should keep posting because I suddenly felt redundant. :)
Dale, your many years of experience and ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas are a truly valuable asset to this forum, and your absence would be a tragic loss to entire community!

While it's sad that you cannot continue on the drum kit, lets not forget that the drum set is a relatively modern assemblage of "stuff" and that at the core of the matter are individual instruments, all of which can be played whilst standing (except the kick pedal, but hey, the bass drum itself was played for centuries before the pedal was invented.

Percussionists come in all shapes, sizes and health conditions, and I'm sure you'll find a way to contribute your valuable insight to this community in a way that doesn't feel hypocritical.

While we're on the subject though, you should check out the Zendrum @ www.zendrum.com, there's a whole kit you can play standing up!

I think we should keep you around as long as we can...

(And send me your Sonors...)

Jamell

bummer bro, well take care, hope you get better, if it ever goes away and you can work it out, be sure to play a kit again

RimShot2100GP

you know yamaha makes drum sets that can be played standing up, i think they are called gonbops, if your at all interested.....good luck mate!

DRUMZILLA

I WAS RECENTLY FORCED INTO HIATUS. I SOON REALIZED THAT THE PHYSICAL ASPECT OF DRUMMING MAY STOP, BUT THE MENTAL ASPECT STILL CONTINUES ON. YOU CAN'T STOP IT. I STILL LEARN BY LISTENING TO RYTHMS AND MUSIC AROUND ME AND MY BRAIN ABSORBS ALL THAT, JUST WAITING TO LET IT BACK OUT. FOR MOST OF US, MUSIC IS OUR LIVES. ITS NOT A JOB, BUT A LOVE. SO DON'T RETIRE BUT RESOLVE TO TAKE IT IN A DIRECTION THAT MEETS THE PHYSICAL ABILITIES YOU CURRENTLY HAVE.

BEST OF LUCK AND MAY YOU ALWAYS FIND RYTHM!! :D

rufus4dagruv

Dale,

Though I have only been with this site a short time, and my number of posts is relatively few, one thing is quite clear; your knowledge of the art of drumming is vast and undeniable. Combining that with your ability to present your opinions and ideas to this forum leads me to believe that your drum set and percussion students, whether they know it or not, have an extremely valuable resource to tap.

I think that those of us who have come to realize that we will always be a student of our craft have gained some degree of knowledge from your contributions to this forum. Should you decide to leave, you will be missed. I for one would like to thank you for your contributions, and I hope that you are able to overcome any obstacle that may block your path.

Get well, man

Dale

Wow....gee, thanks guys. I don't know what to say. You're very kind.

I suppose I have been having many doubts about my future with regards to drumset. My poor boss at the drumshop is always working to inspire me to keep going as I've gone through this "will I, wont I keep playing?" period. He's a class act for sure. I do hope to keep playing. I want to play. I love it so much and am still infatuated with the drumset just as much now in my forties as I was as a teenager. In fact I probably love and appreciate the instrument now more than ever.

Perhaps I should put my doubts down to some personal weakness or self doubt. I just don't know. When I read about someone like Chick Webb, who spent his entire career playing in pain and battling a debilitating illness, it makes me think perhaps I should just count my blessings and get on with it.

When I began playing as a youngster, I really had no idea what this instrument would offer me and what I would gain from it. It's not just the love of playing, but the inspiration and joy I received from listening to others. Music is a window into another's mind quite unlike any other. Every time I listen to Tony Williams I am truly amazed at the depth of his personality, strength and sheer unadulterated creativity. He's not the only one who touches me in this way. So many great drummers.....

Well I suppose only time will tell if I can ever work as a full time drummer again, but I may as well give it a shot if people such as you all here inspire me and show support within this wonderful community of drummers. What the Hell have I got to lose?

Drummers are something truly special. I look on in awe.

Many thanks. Dale.

drummaman

like rufus, iv only been with this forum for a few weeks, but already i can see you as the person i want to answer my topics for help, your knowledge seems to have no boundries and always answers the question exactly as i meant

im sorry to hear about your spine and truly hope that you manage to get back behind the kit soon, but for now, the percussion sounds like its working out for you, im happy for you for that

thanks for staying dale, your comments are always priceless and always sensible, i appreciate that and thanks for all the help you have already given and all the help that i know you will impart in the future

sam

Jiggarelli

I too suffer from a genetic arthiritic illness. About a year ago I was informed I had osteoarthritis. It's not good for me right now, but after my pills (percocet and vicodan) I get around ok. I play five nights a week, so there is no time to be in pain. Somedays are better than others.

By the way, this forum is for drummers, and you will always be a drummer!

Jayson

Dale

drummaman":1hlrzr05 said:
like rufus, iv only been with this forum for a few weeks, but already i can see you as the person i want to answer my topics for help, your knowledge seems to have no boundries and always answers the question exactly as i meant

im sorry to hear about your spine and truly hope that you manage to get back behind the kit soon, but for now, the percussion sounds like its working out for you, im happy for you for that

thanks for staying dale, your comments are always priceless and always sensible, i appreciate that and thanks for all the help you have already given and all the help that i know you will impart in the future

sam
You guys are all so gracious and kind. I do appreciate it. It is my honour to help out. I may not be gigging, but at least I can hopefully contribute something. It's all about the drums. Man, I LOVE the drums so much!

I've decided to just do it and stop whining about my damned back. It could be worse and I should be thankful for what I've got!

I've met some fine characters while playing drums. The guys who teach and work at the shop are such top blokes. They are all supportive and never have a bad word for anyone.

There's just something special about drummers. I am very proud to be one of them, one of you.

Geez will ya listen to me, what a soppy old sod! :)

Dale

Jiggarelli":26qiveif said:
I too suffer from a genetic arthiritic illness. About a year ago I was informed I had osteoarthritis. It's not good for me right now, but after my pills (percocet and vicodan) I get around ok. I play five nights a week, so there is no time to be in pain. Somedays are better than others.

By the way, this forum is for drummers, and you will always be a drummer!

Jayson
Hey mate. I am so sorry to read this. Have you tried Glucosamine and condroiten tablets? They are helping me.

Let me know.

Jiggarelli

RimShot2100GP":s7g3ztx7 said:
you know yamaha makes drum sets that can be played standing up, i think they are called gonbops, if your at all interested.....good luck mate!
FYI they are cocktail kits they make a jordan signature one as well.
GonBops is a brand of congas now owned by drum workshop.

Jiggarelli

Yes, I've been taking glucosamine/condroiten for years. I was married to this hippie vegan chick for a while, she turned me on to it. That was back in 2000. I'd hate to see what it would be like without.