Resonant heads

RILY!

Do resonant heads really influence the sound of your drums? Ive had my drum set for a couple years now and im finally getting around to changing the stock resonant heads on my toms i have remo pinstripes on the tops. I just ordered some aquarian classic clear heads for my bottoms, how much will this change my sound? just curious and i cant wait to actually get my heads.

Rob Crisp

Actually you'll find well tuned resonants can make a huge difference in your drum sound.

There's a rule of thumb that goes, resonant side for tone and batter for feel.

Google the drum tuning bible for details on how to tune. :)

I can't stress how important it is to tune the resonants well!

Potatoe Snack

depends if you're the type to put duct tape and muffling rings and moon gels on your drum. the more you muffle it, the less the resonant head matters.

racefan33

When I got my PDP LX Maple kit I replaced the top heads with Evans G2s and left the Remo/DW heads on the bottom. After about six months I changed the bottom heads to Evans G1 clears, tuned the same. I use a Tama pressure dial thing and I use Lug Locks to keep the tuning constant.

Crazy as it sounds my band heard the difference and said my drums sounded better. This was out of the blue, I didn't ask what they sounded like or even told them I changed the heads before the comments came.

RILY!

Potatoe Snack":1xhy871v said:
depends if you're the type to put duct tape and muffling rings and moon gels on your drum. the more you muffle it, the less the resonant head matters.
Well yes i do use Evans E-Rings, and since my drums are so poor quality(poplar shells) to actually get a good tone from them i have to use some type of dampening system. I have tryed putting tape on my resonant heads but i scratched that concept because i found it not to improve the sound at all.