removing paint from an old drum

miketalbot4

I found an old slingerland marching bass drum from the sixties at a flea market. Somebody at some point painted over the beautiful red sparkle wrap with white latex( I think latex ) paint. I'm trying to remove the paint but I've had a hard time getting it off. I've tried Goof off, alcohol ,paint thinner and mineral spirits. The alcohol works but it is a VERY slow process. Any ideas how to get the paint off faster without damaging the wrap?

christopherabruce

I just stripped some paint off a pair of hoops using paint stripper and green scotch-bright pads. The pads aren't very abrasive.
When you get most of the paint off, and are really close to the wrap, switch to a nylon non-abrasive dish-scrubbing pad to minimize any scratches. Unfortunately, this is not a quick process, either.

miketalbot4":3fzndzh0 said:
I found an old slingerland marching bass drum from the sixties at a flea market. Somebody at some point painted over the beautiful red sparkle wrap with white latex( I think latex ) paint. I'm trying to remove the paint but I've had a hard time getting it off. I've tried Goof off, alcohol ,paint thinner and mineral spirits. The alcohol works but it is a VERY slow process. Any ideas how to get the paint off faster without damaging the wrap?

WindyCityDrumCo

I wouldnt recommend using scotchbrite pads, eventhough they dont look like theyve scratched anything hold it up to a light and look at the darker horizon of the drum. Just where the light stops hitting it and you'll be able to see light scratch pattern.
Removing paint without disturbing the wrap is not an easy process especially if it's been on there for many years. The wraps top plastic layer deteriorates after years ad probably absorbed some of the paint.
I would just get a heat gun or really hot hair dryer and slowly remov the wrap and buy a similar covering.

Four Sticks

I'll tell you from experience on refurbishing about 10 drums by now from toms to base drums.
Step 1) Cut the wrap off. Its old, and it is keeping the drum from resonating to its full potential.
Step 2) Sand the outer shell until its smooth and clear of glue and wrap.
Step 3) Use a miniwax stain of your choice of color. Let it dry for a day.
Step 4) Sand lightly, and re-aply another coat of stain.
Step 5) Aply a clear miniwax laquer.
Step 6) Use steel wool to sand first coat of laquer and then apply a final coat.

zen_drummer

Four Sticks":14aw3ufw said:
I'll tell you from experience on refurbishing about 10 drums by now from toms to base drums.
Step 1) Cut the wrap off. Its old, and it is keeping the drum from resonating to its full potential.
Step 2) Sand the outer shell until its smooth and clear of glue and wrap.
Step 3) Use a miniwax stain of your choice of color. Let it dry for a day.
Step 4) Sand lightly, and re-aply another coat of stain.
Step 5) Aply a clear miniwax laquer.
Step 6) Use steel wool to sand first coat of laquer and then apply a final coat.
Don't try this with an old Ludwig (50s - mid 70s) drum though... the wrap starts UNDER the final wood ply and you'll have a heck of a time making it look good.