Remo Muff'l Control Rings

dannydrumperc

Does anybody here uses (or had used) these:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/599/607/dh_muffl_ring.html

It seems very similar to the Aquarian SKII concept, but no drumhead, leaving that choice op to us.

I'm looking for something to muffle a 16x16 floor tom converted to kick. It will be used as an effect kick on a pop/rock band. Was thinking about using a 2-ply head combined with this to produce a tight and punchy sound. What you think?

anavrinIV

ive played a set with those on it and i dont think that they are what youre looking for. those rings act almost like the rubber rings that you put on heads when youre looking for near silent practice, but not that dramatic. if you need any volume, this is not what youre looking for.

Nessmaster

I have those on my toms as well. I recorded (crappy recording) of how my 16" tom sounds compared to my 22" bass drum. Remember, I am hitting the 16" with sticks and not a pedal. I am also using Remo Pinstripe heads. EDIT: I also ONLY have batter heads on my toms, so no resonate head like the bass does.

File -> http://www.filefactory.com/file/1c3772/

The first 3 beats are the bass and then the tom and so on. Just to give you a relative idea.

SGarrett

I tried those at one time and absolutely hated them. You'll notice from the picture above how well they stay in place.

Nessmaster

SGarrett":2ja9t1jf said:
I tried those at one time and absolutely hated them. You'll notice from the picture above how well they stay in place.
The first time I had em on, one of them slipped out in about a week. But the current ones have been in there for about 3 months now and that's all that they have moved. I kinda like them cause I like that damp/dead sound. But on my other kit I don't have any mufflers but the overtones are killing me (still trying to tune things right)

Nessmaster

SGarrett":2d8jq590 said:
Why not just use a Hydraulic head?
:shock: Cause I'm ignorant and never relised thoes things exist...omg...oil between the layers... who would have thought :oops:

Empyrean Drums

The worse thing about them is the plastic ring is held in place between the head and the shell. You're better off with some kind of packing

break the prism

i used those because they came with my kit when i bought it used. i was young and impressionable and thought they sounded awesome.
honestly, with the right tuning they can sound alright for recording but you get absolutely no resonance. if you want slight muffling, i;'d go with studio rings or moongel.

once i took them off i fell in love with the open, resonant tom sound.

Homki890

If you want a punchy sound on a bass, try either the Evans Hydraulic (already mentioned) or the Remo Powersonic for Bass. Dampener built onto the head that can be removed. Thing sounds amazing when tuned right.

Homki890

xdoseonex

xdoseonex":3ltbw7gm said:
how do those things stay in place?
so i was looking at those things and i said " they look like they stay in place by sitting on the bearing edge, between the shell and the head. and figures theres no way a drumhead company would make a pruduct with such a bad concept behind it. but apparently i'm right? thos things really sit on your bearig edge and put a layer of plastic between your head and the shell? that is the worst idea i'v ever heard i my life and i'm surprised to see somthing like that from a company as good as remo

xdoseonex

Homki890":2djwlgfq said:
If you want a punchy sound on a bass, try either the Evans Hydraulic (already mentioned) or the Remo Powersonic for Bass. Dampener built onto the head that can be removed. Thing sounds amazing when tuned right.

Homki890
I love my powersinics