Remember Paiste?

DrumminBari

How come everytime someone makes a post about cymbal companies its alwas "who is better sabian or zildjian". I am admit I am a Zildjian man, but I wouldnt complain if a paiste ride cymbal showed up on my kit one day. All in all all three of these companies make cymbals

Does anyone else out there still care about Paiste?

MikeRowland

Paiste makes great sounding cymbals, world class. I think the problem, at least in the U.S., is that in most place Paiste cymbals are not really available. We don't have a wide variety to chose from, and what we can get is very expensive compared to the 'domestic brands'. There is always mail order, but most professionals want to hit a cymbal themselves and hear it with their own ears, which limits us to what we have on hand: Sabian or Zildjian. Similar problems occur with other companies (i.e. Meinl, Istanbul, etc.) If you notice, Europeans seem to use Paiste much more than the competition.

Dandrum

I traded in my old Paiste 2002 ride and crash cymbal a couple years ago for some Zildjian Custom A's.
I was pleased with their trade-in value ;o)

sicdrummer

yea who doesnt know paiste people just like sabian and zildjian more cause there cheaper i have zildjians and sabians paiste are more expensive

zackman

paistes always threw me off with there shinyness and their really bright sound. im more of a zildjian guy

Will

MikeRowland":13hp6xk8 said:
Paiste makes great sounding cymbals, world class. I think the problem, at least in the U.S., is that in most place Paiste cymbals are not really available. We don't have a wide variety to chose from, and what we can get is very expensive compared to the 'domestic brands'. There is always mail order, but most professionals want to hit a cymbal themselves and hear it with their own ears, which limits us to what we have on hand: Sabian or Zildjian. Similar problems occur with other companies (i.e. Meinl, Istanbul, etc.) If you notice, Europeans seem to use Paiste much more than the competition.

I use Zildjian myself, but if I didnt I'd probably use Meinls because they're so cheap over here (UK)

golfchance

I was a dedicated Paiste user for years. But then I acquired a couple of used Zildjians (and a Wuhan) that I love, so now I just mix and match as desired. Paistes (especially the signature series) sound absolutely incredible, but they are fragile. I've got a whole pile of ruined Paistes. Another reason I am no longer concerned with brand loyalty.
If I were to get back into drumming and had to buy new cymbals, I would look at Sabians first I think.

I used to use Paiste religously back in the 90's and I still believe they are fantastic sounding cymbals. The only problem is that they are way to expensive and they break quicker than any other brand i have used.
I have been using Sabian for almost 10 years now and although I upgrade all the time, the Sabians that i have passed on to my son and my brother are still around and they still sound good.
And you can't beat the price of Sabians especially if you live in Canada.

Peace
T

drumdan

ButterscotchBandit420":u8ajpgvh said:
I used to use Paiste religously back in the 90's and I still believe they are fantastic sounding cymbals. The only problem is that they are way to expensive and they break quicker than any other brand i have used.
I have been using Sabian for almost 10 years now and although I upgrade all the time, the Sabians that i have passed on to my son and my brother are still around and they still sound good.
And you can't beat the price of Sabians especially if you live in Canada.

Peace
T
I've only broken 2, or 3 new Paiste cymbals since 1991.

drumdan

There is an entire forum dedicated to Paiste www.paiste-only.com

I currently own almost one hundred Paiste cymbals, but I'm letting go of many of them because I'm sick of having so much gear!

I've played Paiste since 1990.

They make the sound I hear in my head.

WingsOfMajesty

I just use paistes, and I think they sound fantastic.

In regards to what someone said earlier, I live in Chicago and the Guitar Center that I go to has Zildjian, Sabian AND Paiste on display for you to try out. Now, maybe my store is a special case, but I can't imagen most chains just have Zildjian and Sabian.

drummer619

Oh dude, i'm a Paiste guy 100% i own alot of Rude Series Cymbals, but then again i like the lower tones of Zildjian Rides. so once again it's all about the sound of the cymbal not the name...if any of that makes sense

mlumpkin13

Never been a huge fan of Paiste. Even though alot of drummers use them(Joey Jordison, Tommy Lee, Dave Lombardo, Tommy Aldridge,etc.) I'd have to say that the "Rude" series is about the only ones I care for. I've always a Sabian man.

sp4zium

i've tried the entire 2002 line of paiste's... awesome cymbals, but not for my style of playing. just a bit too bright for my liking... and they definately take a huge bite out of your wallet :wink: at least in the U.S.

SteveOnStar

I must say, i am definitely a Zildjian drummer, they are the oldest and they pretty much produce the most cymbals that i like.
now on the other hand sabian does have some i like.
Paiste does as well...problems with paiste are that A. they seem over priced, and more importantly B. they seem to discontinue a lot of the cymbals i want or they just make them available to their signature artists.
the only cymbal i want that zildjian can't sell me now is one nick menza used with megadeth : 24" A Zildjian Platinum Ping Ride.

doublekick2

paiste has become one of those less talked about brands mostly because of the price.. they are some of the coolest sounding cymbals, but very very expensive.. years ago paiste release the color sound formula which has now become one of the most coveted cymbals out there.. check out www.paiste-only.com and see for yourselves

kec

I love the sound of paiste but I'm always scared to buy them. I understand that they crack very easily, Can the drummers who play Paiste let me know if this is true? (I'm a very hard drummer)

Thanks!

Kyle

flavrothemonth

in response to paiste cymbals and that they crack too easily... i say if you buy thinner cymbals and play hard , anything will break. i have never heard that before, "that paistes are known for breaking easily" paiste cymbals are just wonderful. they are very musical. i have always gotten comments about the cymbals i've used in the studio. they're paiste signature crashes. the other companies are good, too, but i think paiste makes a wonderful product.

kevin