Reggae Beats

paul89

I created this topic ,because I need help. :wink: Since month I play reggae with my new band :) ,but I have never played reggae rhythms. I'm going to learn ,at first simple beat, then more difficult and the most... :) If you can, give me addres web page, on which are the assorted reggae beats.
Thanks and please for understanding :wink:

Qbs

paul - as I told you check out Groove Essentials @ www.vicfirth.com - give me some time and I'll transcribe the 'one drop' for you (that is if you won't find it in Groove Essentials - so please LMK)

Qbs

ok.
here's 'one drop' - the basic (IMHO) reggae beat 'invented' by Carlton Bennet (or Berret - I don't remember his name right now...) - the guy who played with Bob Marley.

the thing is that you don't play kick on ONE but on THREE (one drop) it maybe hard at first but give it a try in 80bpm and you'll worki it out.

as for other beats just play along to some reggae records or try variations of 'one drop' - play continous quarter notes with foot, try playing rim-click, ad some triplets - the bottom line is that it all comes down to what you can come up with :)

have fun :)

paul89

Thanks! Sory, but I didn't read last message. Thanks fot tipoff ,
I'll exercise. When I picked up ,I'll write to you :) But I think, that I'll find everything on this web page ,which you give :) thanks again !

Qbs

another beat you might want to incorporate is what I would call a dancehall/ragga clave (since it's the basic beat for those genres)

if you were to count this in 16 notes you'd play the following (marked in red and bold)
1e+a2e+a

The notes are written on a single line so that you can orchestrate it anyway you want but I think that the most common variation is the one with the two first notes being played with the kick and the last with the snare drum :)

I found it easiest to learn this groove at about 70-80 bpm and I think that it sounds best played around 90-100 bpm

experiment and have fun :)

Shalaq

I'd like also to add that if you have the oppourtunity to listen to drum&bass- loads of that stuff comes from the "funky drummer" and other funk beats. It's just played up to speed.
Whooops I forgot to add that sometimes a funky beat like the one from James Browns "Funky Drummer" is all that you need to put a nice groove to a reaggae beat :) Of course played with the right dynamics etc :)

paul89

Thanks, very much for your tipoff and advice ... You said very important things ,which will be helpful for me while learning :)
I've been already start learning and I think, that my reggae beat is more interesting, because I play now with accent :lol: hehe :)

With respect to Funk groove:
I found my book "Futute Sound" by Gardibaldi ,which sometime read and I exercised with this book :p Thanks for reminder ... :)
I haven't heard about "Funky Drummer" :( So I will have to buy It :p

Qbs

"Funky Drummer" i one of the greatest songs by James Brown :p
my personal second favourite JB song :)

juNgle beatZ

Shalaq":1cskcxun said:
I'd like also to add that if you have the oppourtunity to listen to drum&bass- loads of that stuff comes from the "funky drummer" and other funk beats. It's just played up to speed.
True Shalaq, some of thos wicked jungle beats are just regular rhythms played at very fast tempos - about 180beatz per minute :twisted:

TDRUMP

:D PICK UP A COPY OF THE POLICE'S REGATTA DE BLANC AND LISTEN TO "WALKIN' ON THE MOON". :D PRACTICE THAT AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD. IF YOU NEED IT TRANSCRIBED, I'M SURE YOU COULD FIND IT ON THE NET!

davidpetry

Reggae is tough at first. I recommend listening to 12/8 patterns like swing plus all those Bob Marley records. I like reggae in a 12/8 feel. It swings. I think of it like turning your left foot in jazz(2,4) to your bass drum on 2 and 4.

Your feet should go LRLR 1,2,3,4

Left hand cross stick on 2,4 plus some ad lib

Right hand plays a 6/8 or 12/8 patttern

Petry

reggaebeats07

just listen to all the Bob Marley alblums, Carlton Berret is a sick drummer. Also listen to an of the Peter Tosh alblums. Some new groups to look for are Westbound Train and listen to the Toasters. Ska is based on reggae so their beats are similar. Youll have to learn the 'one drop'.

rufus4dagruv

I've been playing in reggae bands for the last 3 years. Another thing to take into consideration is where you place your accents. Instead of crashing on one, try to hit the four of the preceding measure, or the two of the new measure.

Reggae is all about groove. If the bassline is straight, swing your hats ever so slightly. It'll get the people up and dancing in a heartbeat.

Once you feel more comfortable with the one drop riddim, I would recommend checking out some Sly and Robbie. They have been playing together for quite some time and you can hear the evolution of their own playing and their influence on reggae music. Enjoy.

Qbs

Dale":3axwan50 said:
Think 'timbales' when playing fills etc.
Dale, have you got any transcriptions of such fills or maybe ideas on which rudiments to practice in order to get close to that 'timbales kind of playing'?

Dale

Qbs":3nvvnu84 said:
Dale":3nvvnu84 said:
Think 'timbales' when playing fills etc.
Dale, have you got any transcriptions of such fills or maybe ideas on which rudiments to practice in order to get close to that 'timbales kind of playing'?
Yeah, heaps. I don't know how to put 'em up on site though. It might be an idea to listen to some classics in the Latin style. Try this place: http://www.live365.com/stations/djalvarog

Sorry not to have seen your post earlier. I've been away for a couple of days.

I'll see what I can do about transcribing things to leave them on the site.

skatroma

Listen to the Skatalites, they are easy to find and for all intents and purposes created the ska beat which led to the reggae beat. It's an odd almost unnatural feel for me but I enjoy playing it.