Refinishing my kit

jayusl

This is my refinished snare. Should I continue refinishing the rest of my kit to match, or scrap the project and just re wrap them? I know the picture isn't that great, my camera sucks.

drummert2k

its your call man. do what you like. its a good looking job you did on the snare. if you like it and want a kit to match, go for it. you're gonna be the one playing it. make it how you want it.

i personally like it. i'd like a kit in that. looks almost simple but still classy in a semi vintage way.

jayusl

drummert2k":1hg87ktf said:
its your call man. do what you like. its a good looking job you did on the snare. if you like it and want a kit to match, go for it. you're gonna be the one playing it. make it how you want it.

i personally like it. i'd like a kit in that. looks almost simple but still classy in a semi vintage way.
Thanks. Just trying to get some input. Its my first refinish job on my first drum set.

meta L ucas

that would make a SWEEEET kit bro. i personally encourage it. you could even find work finishing drums if the right people see your work. go for it.

PaulZILLA

nice job. just dont forget the clear. i have a business building and refinishing drums. thats not bad at all man.

nicholgh

What did you use to refinish this drum? A wood veneer? Contact paper?

It looks good. I am looking to refinish my own drums and I have no idea where to even start. Any info, from anyone, would be appreciated. (costs, materials, techniques, etc.....)

thanks

Greg

jayusl

Believe it or not this is philip. Mahogany. Kit is a year old Tama Swingstar.
It took me a lot of sanding and prep work. All of it was done with over the counter hardware store stuff. The finish is Formby's tung oil Finish (8 coats). Thanks for the input, I pulled the wraps of the other drums last night. Probably going to take me forever. I'll post pics after the stain is done.

nicholgh

jayusl":av1n283i said:
Believe it or not this is philip. Mahogany. Kit is a year old Tama Swingstar.
It took me a lot of sanding and prep work. All of it was done with over the counter hardware store stuff. The finish is Formby's tung oil Finish (8 coats). Thanks for the input, I pulled the wraps of the other drums last night. Probably going to take me forever. I'll post pics after the stain is done.
So, are you saying that is the natural grain of the wood that was underneth the original wraps??

The wood underneth my wraps basically has no grain at all. That's why I'm thinking wood veneers or something... instead of a stain and poly.

quikstang2

Nice dude. Those things had some awesome grain under the wraps.

It is a lot of work when you get to the bigger drums and you're doing them all at once. I'm waiting to get a big compressor before I lay paint down on mine. Don't get discouraged, it'll be worth all the work when they're done.