redoing a drum, a little help?

MasterShake89

ok, I have an all black stain ludwig set....except for this nice little slingerland i got offa my friend that has a mirror type metalic wrap on it. I basically plan on taking the wrap off of it, sanding it, and painting it black to match my set. heres the deal

is there any special way to remove the wrap?
any special grit of sand paper i should use? and how much should I sand it?
and what kind of paint should I use? i want it to be an almost transparent black thats non reflective.....that would match my other drums. even a light black would work good. so what kind of paint.
oh and how do i deal with the eyelits?

Brother_Bong

Is the Slingerland a snare? The wrap should come off easy, often they are only glued at the seam. As far as sanding, you will most likely find the shell is somewhat rough. You want to sand down any spots where the glue was, and enough to make it smooth. But DON'T oversand, the shell is as thick as it wants to be for a reason. As far as the stain/paint, I don't know which direction to point you in without seeing the drum itself.

SGarrett

TimeKeep's who you want to talk to. But a lot of it is going to depend on what the grain underneath looks like.

MasterShake89

Timekeep69":rb29ugav said:
Sand it once with 60 grit paper, then move up to 100, then to 220. That should make it nice an smooth.
any idea on paint type?
house paint? normal wall paint? car paint? which kind should be used?

Brother_Bong

.....Oh yeah, as far as the eyelets, paint over them, then carefully clean the hole out, helps give you even coverage up to the hole. As opposed to taping or bunging them.