Recording Practice

Kobuso

:roll: Hi Guys and Girls. I need an inexpensive way of recording my drumming in a music room during practice. Any suggestions?

vargasdrumbeast

If a computer is nearby, try the recording program on it, it wont have a proffesional sound buy you can still hear it.

Or if you can find a tape recorder, but I dont know how much use that will be to you

Kobuso

vargasdrumbeast":333kynnc said:
If a computer is nearby, try the recording program on it, it wont have a proffesional sound buy you can still hear it.

Or if you can find a tape recorder, but I dont know how much use that will be to you
:)

THanks for the advice. Someone also suggested I use a dictaphone. Do you think this will be any good?

locster99

I use a laptop computer with cubease LE and I hang one condenser mic from above my kit the condenser is pretty sensitive and picks up the kick and snare primarly but its cheap and you can hear what your doing well

royalslack

You can pick up a digital recorded fairly inexpensively at any electronics store like RadioShack....or you could get an old fashioned cassette recorder....which there's no shame in doing.

Flatliner

As long as you leave out the crash/china/ride you should be okay with the cheapest recorder you can find, it won't sound pretty but you'll be able to tell what you're playing.

Spydr2000

Back in the day i use to use a tape player/radio and throw a small blanket over it and that would take care of the cynbals killing the recording.. you could try that.

Guy&i

i used to bring a radio-tape that has an inner mic in it...
but times have changed... if u have a mini disc u can connect a cheap computer mic to it and record... the result is suprising sometimes...
and i think many mp3 players these days has an inner mic too... if its in a practice room that is also a studio u can ask the guy to just record the session uncut and deal with the result later. he probably wont charge u for that...
good luck

Dee

I use a Minidisc recorder, plug a mic into it and it actually works a treat! It's not the best of recordings but you can hear everything clearly!

EKoolaidsDrummer

Some "boomboxes" have a plug for a mic... Youll have to get the smaller adapter but I have one that does and it works GREAT....

Something about hearing what you play....Dave Weckl said it best- He would be thinking about what he was playing hoping it sounded one way and when it was played back sounded like something different....

Its a great tool for learning control and whether or not youre playing "too loud"

Recording practice is a good thing. That way you can listen back and pick out things you need to work on.

When my band practices, we usually have the drums miked up all the time, and we mike the guitar cabs when we record rehearsal sessions. We run straight from the PA board to an analog cd burner.

Or a tape deck and mike, or a 4 track works fine too.

DrummerByron

There are also video cameras as well. My digital camera can record vid too and that is what I use to record my band or me. The sound is sub-par, but it gets the idea across. Plus you can see your self drum and see all the funny faces you make. It's quite amusing.