Recording drums without mics

lgdrummer92

How can i get a better sound out of my video camera when recording my drums? Because i don't have anything else to record them with.

rufus4dagruv

lgdrummer92":11nttmux said:
How can i get a better sound out of my video camera when recording my drums? Because i don't have anything else to record them with.
You could try treating the room in a way that it "eats" some of the sounds or you could try repositioning your kit within the room you will be doing the recording, or both.

The mic built into the camcorder is going to pick up not just the direct sounds from your drums, but also the sound waves reflected around the room. By reducing these reflections, you should be able to come up with a relatively different sound. Perhaps try putting some blankets on the walls in different places around and over your kit. It will be trial and error and every room is different.

lgdrummer92

i figured that because in my basement and garage my drums sound really echo-ey and bad mainly because sometimes poor tuning but then ill play them outside or mic'd up and they sound terrific. mic'd up is obvious but outside because the sound just travels off somewhere until it hits something. but thanks though im gonna try that. any kind of material that absorbs sound waves?

ProtestTheHero88

i recorded with an voice recording MP3 player a log time ago.. sounded like crap everytime, but i got it to sound less echo-ey by stickin it a balled up towel an puttin it on the floor relatively far from the set.. it might sound better but if u wanna actually record video too then obviously it wont work at all.. lol.. ^^^ you should prolly go with what he said.. haha

smitty

blankets work-white ceiling tiles from a drop ceiling work great! Also foam works good too; styrofoam, foam mattresses, etc.the worst things are cement block walls (esp. painted) like in a garage or basement. Hang some drop ceiling tiles from the ceiling all around the room; half pieces or break them into 4 pcs each tile, etc. Good luck

golfchance

The main problem is the camera's built-in mic. Those always sound terrible, unless you have a super high quality professional model. Try an external mic (assuming your camera has a mic input) - it's almost certain to improve the sound of your video recordings. Even a small one like the Sony ECM-719 would probably do the trick.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... ctret.html

markmywords

well it's not easy but trigger the drums and run the sound through and editing program, add the video and ta-da, better sound.

anavrinIV

markmywords":32gcnsn2 said:
well it's not easy but trigger the drums and run the sound through and editing program, add the video and ta-da, better sound.
if he doesnt have a single mic, i doubt he has triggers, a module, a mixer, and the software to do all that work.

Howie

While you're experimenting with blankets and reflections, definitely start investing in some mics - especially if you plan to record more in the future! =]

Drummyfizzle

This probably won't help much with your echoes but I find that when using a cam-corder the noise will distort a lot - especially if you are playing rock.

If you move the camcorder as far away as possible and zoom it in then you can get the same shot on screen but with no distortion on the sound.

Like the other guys said, mattresses and blankets stuck up on the walls and floor will make a big difference - maybe get a whole bunch of you mates to sit and watch you - the bodies will fill out the sound of the room and change the echo.

flam man

I have used many cheap handy cams sony, jvc, panasonic for recording drums. For all intensive purposes, I suggest finding a big room (honestly, the bigger the room the better) place the video camera to the side of the trap at 45 degrees (in line with the high hat or ride) about 15 feet away. This works for me very well, the bass drum sounds thru and the highs dont distort out. Trial and error is the best way to find a good sweet spot - good luck

bapudi

you people are making things to hard.

if you have a nice camera you can adjust the recording level. make it half way from the top and put the cam as far back as you can and aligned with the cam so the sounds flows to the mic.

if you dont have a cam. just put a shirt or towl over the cam and then go back and edit the highs out of the file on a comp.

i re edit bootleg concerts for DaD and a 3 gen cocnert tape is harder than this

ProtestTheHero88

anavrinIV":1z1fxrcg said:
markmywords":1z1fxrcg said:
if he doesnt have a single mic, i doubt he has triggers, a module, a mixer, and the software to do all that work.

pwnd..lol jp..very tru though