Recomended hardware?

harri

Hi, I thought I could here what you guys would recomend.

I have my set up and running but still misses some things.
I need a drum throne, but don't know quite which one.
And if I am going to by cymbal stands, what should I go for?

rufus4dagruv

harri":3ghewib9 said:

Regarding the throne, I would highly recommend investing in one that is VERY comfortable. Many drummers would agree that it is the single most important aspect of your kit.

Now for cymbals, I would drop the same question in the cymbals section of the board and specify what kind(s) of music you wil be playing, what kind(s) of sounds you're looking for, and your budget.

harri

rufus4dagruv":398gl0ba said:
harri":398gl0ba said:

Regarding the throne, I would highly recommend investing in one that is VERY comfortable. Many drummers would agree that it is the single most important aspect of your kit.

Now for cymbals, I would drop the same question in the cymbals section of the board and specify what kind(s) of music you wil be playing, what kind(s) of sounds you're looking for, and your budget.
yeah I was thinking the same thing regarding the throne, but I'm not shure what to get. I have heard that perl i good.
Any comments or recomendations?

I ment cymbalstands, not the actual cymbals. :wink: :wink:

rufus4dagruv

When it comes to thrones, I would recommend something with a 3 legged set up. If it has 4 legs, and you try to set it up on a surface that's not completely flat, it could wobble. Not that this happens all the time, but I've played on a few "stages" at outdoor events that were a little less than completely flat. I personally prefer a round, vinyl covered seat, but that' just me. You may prefer a cloth bicycle seat. If you've got a Sam Ash or Guitar Center locally, go try a bunch out.

For stands, there are several factors to take into consideration. Will you just be using the stands for 1 cymbal or will you have toms or other cymbal arms clamped to the stand? Will you be gigging with them often? Try to find a nice balance between over all weight and sturdiness. Also figure out how adjustable you would like the stands to be. Good luck.

Alcyon

Pearl hardware is all I've had any real experience with, but the Roadster thrones with the screw height adjustment are up there in the best thrones I've seen for the lowest price, and in terms of stands, can't go wrong with 800 series stuff. If you really want to shell out (more than $50 for a straight stand) then you can go up a level to 2000 series and get top of the line gear.

king_friday

GrindheadJim":3syhd6rj said:
ROC - N - f'n -SOC!

Do not waste your money on anything else. I have three herniated discs, and this throne is the main reason I am still healthy enough to play:
http://www.rocnsoc.com/nitroseries.html

Trust me.
how are those any better than a pork pie? ive used a roc n soc throne before...just seemed like your average throne to me. but the pork pie thrones are like sitting on air.

SGarrett

Brand doesn't really matter all that much. Just make sure that the throne is stable and supportive. You don't want a throne with a soft seat. It might be comfortable but it cuts down on the stability and requires you to use the small stabilizer muscles in your hips and lower back to keep you centered. I use a DW9100 throne.

harri

Thanks guys!

When I see a throne were you adjust the hight like an office chair(air or gass) I get a little skeptic. In church they have a Pearl throne(I think :? ) and it has a tendency to lower itself while playing. I have used it for a couple of gigs and it is very annoying. But that could be only that throne.

I have been thinking about Pearl or Tama. For some reason Tama kinda fell out of the list.
I have to see if I can find a place to try some of the thrones you guys recommended.

Thanks again for the respons. just keep it coming. :D

GrindheadJim

king_friday":2wdx3pt7 said:
GrindheadJim":2wdx3pt7 said:
ROC - N - f'n -SOC!

Do not waste your money on anything else. I have three herniated discs, and this throne is the main reason I am still healthy enough to play:

Trust me.
how are those any better than a pork pie? ive used a roc n soc throne before...just seemed like your average throne to me. but the pork pie thrones are like sitting on air.
I weigh over 300 pounds, and I still float on this thing. I've had it almost five years, with HEAVY road abuse, and NO problems. That's really all I can say.

anavrinIV

ive had a roc-n-soc for almost 3 years i think and ive never once had a problem with it. 5 hours straight at a band rehersal tells me that i made the right choice. i also used to weigh over 300 lbs (down to 280 now) and its still going like new. you wont find a better throne than this one.

For a throne I would recommend the Gibralter Hydraulic Moto its REALLY comfortable.

As for hardware I suggest either Gibralter or DW but not PDP I have a PDP boom stand that I mount my china on and it shakes every time I set it up. It'll some times shake when I hit it too.

JasonS2C

I use a pure-cussion bicycle seat style throne (same idea as roc-n-soc only about 12 years old) and DW 9000 series hardware. Hasn't failed me yet....

stump

GrindheadJim":i3jjys78 said:
ROC - N - f'n -SOC!

Trust me.
Agreed! My Roc-n-Soc nitro was one of my better investments. Trust...your butt will thank you after a long set! Peace on ya!

Drumming_Animal

for a throne i have a pearl D-2000 WITHOUT the backrest, ive had it for a year now and it is awesome, sure it weighs quite a bit but for me it is brilliant, i considered a roc 'n' soc and eventually went for the pearl.

Personally i love the pearl but personal preference is the final decision for ANY drummer.

As for hardware i go for pearl again

dunkerton12

I have a pork pie throne and it is great. I've also used the roc-n-soc (not mine, but a friend's) and it is very nice too. It very much depends on what you want, and the suggestion to go to a music store and try them out is a good one.

As for stands, I've always been a fan of Pearl hardware. Very nice stuff, and lots of great ways to get configured just how you like, whether you use a rack or not. I'd personally go with Pearl, but there is a lot of good stuff out there. Again, decide what you're looking for and then go and find it.

xrftsx

harri":1aerv8ma said:

Pork Pie Throne of course

and DW 9000 stands. they WILL NOT FAIL YOU

stu

my roc n socks about 10 year old now still going strong. I have put this thing to the test with a lot of road abuse and flatulence.