Rebirth of my Pearl Masterworks Snare

Steaky

I bought a Pearl Masterworks kit back in 2000. It had July 1999 stamped inside. It was a solid kit but I never got on with the Snare. Anyway I sold the kit a 18 months ago but held on to this snare as a momento. Yesterday I fished it out of my snare store with a mind to finally selling it to make room for my new Radio King(which is Lush). I found an old Fibreskin(which I don't usually like either) that i had taken off an old luddy floor tom that I had bought 3 years ago and fitted it on to the Snare. BLOW ME the thing came alive! It was as if all these years it had been waiting for that Head. Now maybe as the snare is nearing it's 9th birthday the wood has matured I don't know, but I've struggled with all sorts of heads over the years and the drum has always sounded dead monotone with a strange feel to it. But know it has a beautiful sensitive almost jazz thing going on with a lovely fat mid body to the tone. It kinda sounds like something Stanton Moore would use.

I am now keeping this Drum!

And by the way it's finished in an Ivory colour with tiny particles of broken glass, so it looks amazing with the Fibreskin.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Is it the age thing?

boyd_s

good to hear you discovered a old drum of yours. :D my guess is that age is a factor, but the fiberskyn (in my opinion) is what did the trick.

Steaky

Yeah maybe I should look into fiberskyns more. I also have an old Mapex Black Panther 12x8 from some years back kicking around, I remember it was a disaster in studio's sounding boxy. Again I tried re-heading it the other day but nothing changed it still sounds boxy. I'm gonna check out the market for another pop-corn piccolo-ish type drum to replace it. I recently heard a Pork-pie that was fantastic............

boyd_s

Ya, pork pie's are really nice. they had an article in modern drummer a few years back. look like some hot drums.