reasons I bought and still will buy Saluda

Drumosaurus

1. I ordered a 22" pre aged china and it's awesome.
2. What would cost me $750 from Zildjian or Sabian for a hihat, crash, and ride, only costs me about $400.
3. I don't want to help out cymbal companies that already make millions.

I love Saluda. There, I said it.

Tazdrummer

Drumosaurus":2ii193f1 said:
2. What would cost me $750 from Zildjian or Sabian for a hihat, crash, and ride, only costs me about $400.

You like what you like, ain't nothing wrong with that.

I am probably going to be making a purchase from Saluda very soon too.

What other Saluda cymbals do you have? I am looking to get a set of hihats from them, but not sure what to get.

VOLAR

Drumosaurus":3l0c42hh said:

1. Glad you like it
2. Nice saving$
3. Appears to me to not be such a great reason. :roll:
Do you feel the same when it comes to drums, heads, hardware and stick manufacturers?

If you love the sound of Saluda that's all that matters. Play what you like.

Tazdrummer

SGarrett":3j6swf3c said:
Yeah, #3 is pretty lame.
I dunno, it depends if he articulated what he meant properly.

If it was something like "I don't want to help out companies that have gotten so big they have forgotten the customers and just mass produce crappy sounding stuff" or something along that lines, then I can respect that opinion.

Or

If it was something like "I want to help out the smaller companies so they too can become big and inspire true competition so that all us drummers truly benefit" or something along that lines, then I can respect his opinion.

If it is the way he said it, then yeah, it is kinda lame.

SGarrett

I can understand wanting to support a local/smaller company. What's lame is saying "those people already have too much money so I won't help them get more!"

Personally, I play what I like. :)

Tazdrummer

SGarrett":3edfgwo5 said:
I can understand wanting to support a local/smaller company. What's lame is saying "those people already have too much money so I won't help them get more!"

Personally, I play what I like. :)
I play what I can afford (with some "what I like" definitely thrown in there too :lol: )

plai-gretsch

well from this thread I'm hearing a few good things about Saluda.. although I admit I've never heard of them.. so a quick question for people, I play rock/punk style drumming, and currently use Paiste 502 cymbals.. from peoples experiences.. are these good cymbals to use or would you recommend something else?

Timekeep69

I play metal and have endorsed Saluda for 7 years. If you talk to Jamie he can get you the right cymbals for your style.

VOLAR

Tazdrummer":q35ura8x said:
SGarrett":q35ura8x said:
Yeah, #3 is pretty lame.

If it was something like "I don't want to help out companies that have gotten so big they have forgotten the customers and just mass produce crappy sounding stuff" or something along that lines, then I can respect that opinion.
That would still be a gross generalization that I couldn't get behind.
All manufacturers make some cymbals that sound good to me and others that sound bad. The majority of my cymbals are Paistes but I also have Istanbul Agop, Dream Contact, and Zildjian cymbals. I've also owned GrandMaster, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian and Dream Bliss cymbals.
I will check out Saludas now and probably find something I like.
Great, just what I need. More cymbals. :mrgreen:

Rob Crisp

VOLAR":1b6kc8k8 said:
Tazdrummer":1b6kc8k8 said:
SGarrett":1b6kc8k8 said:
Yeah, #3 is pretty lame.

All manufacturers make some cymbals that sound good to me and others that sound bad. The majority of my cymbals are Paistes but I also have Istanbul Agop, Dream Contact, and Zildjian cymbals. I've also owned GrandMaster, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian and Dream Bliss cymbals.
I couldn't agree more on the sound of cymbals! I love Zildjian A Customs and K Customs for example, but I think the Z Customs sound terrible.

pow3rtr1p

My Saluda 16" Diamond Rock Crash is definitely my favorite cymbal ever. It explodes into that bright, shimmering sound instantly, with even the slightest touch. There are all kinds of colors in it, and it just sound great. My 19" Rock Crash/Ride is a bit too heavy, though. It gets loud really fast, and the ride swells a bit much. However, the bell is great, which I requested, and it has a lot of tonal colors, too. I would probably buy a 19" Medium Thin Crash Ride when/if this one breaks, to help with the volume, and as a way to just experience more of what Saluda has to offer. My 14" Rock Hats sound amazing. A great chick, great crisp definition when closed, and a great wash. When fully open, they are a bit much, but still sound great and cut wonderfully. I may replace these with 13" Fusion Hats when/if these break. I have a 14" Pre Aged Voodoo China, and it, too, is awesome. Great, trashy sound, and a really short decay. If I could do it over again, I may get a 15", but I don't regret this purchase. The Pre Aged Finish looks, and feels, amazing, as well. The Rock Crash, though, is here to stay as long as possible. If it breaks, I will replace it with another 16" Diamond Rock Crash, it is that dang good.

This is all I have to say about what I've played. You take a gamble buying cymbals, with minimal information, based solely on hearsay. Knowing what cymbals to choose is difficult, and describing the sound you want to Jamie can be the hardest part. He'll give you what you ask for, but if you don't ask for the right thing, then you won't get what you wanted. I asked for a loud crash with a piercing bell and a decent swell. He gave me that, but now I won't ask for an extra large crash again. Just go into it knowing what you want, and he will give it to you, no question.

screamkevin

pow3rtr1p":35vsaolx said:
My Saluda 16" Diamond Rock Crash is definitely my favorite cymbal ever. It explodes into that bright, shimmering sound instantly, with even the slightest touch. There are all kinds of colors in it, and it just sound great. My 19" Rock Crash/Ride is a bit too heavy, though. It gets loud really fast, and the ride swells a bit much. However, the bell is great, which I requested, and it has a lot of tonal colors, too. I would probably buy a 19" Medium Thin Crash Ride when/if this one breaks, to help with the volume, and as a way to just experience more of what Saluda has to offer. My 14" Rock Hats sound amazing. A great chick, great crisp definition when closed, and a great wash. When fully open, they are a bit much, but still sound great and cut wonderfully. I may replace these with 13" Fusion Hats when/if these break. I have a 14" Pre Aged Voodoo China, and it, too, is awesome. Great, trashy sound, and a really short decay. If I could do it over again, I may get a 15", but I don't regret this purchase. The Pre Aged Finish looks, and feels, amazing, as well. The Rock Crash, though, is here to stay as long as possible. If it breaks, I will replace it with another 16" Diamond Rock Crash, it is that dang good.

This is all I have to say about what I've played. You take a gamble buying cymbals, with minimal information, based solely on hearsay. Knowing what cymbals to choose is difficult, and describing the sound you want to Jamie can be the hardest part. He'll give you what you ask for, but if you don't ask for the right thing, then you won't get what you wanted. I asked for a loud crash with a piercing bell and a decent swell. He gave me that, but now I won't ask for an extra large crash again. Just go into it knowing what you want, and he will give it to you, no question.
pow3rtr1p,

Remember, depending on how much you play, it'll take your new cymbals anywhere from 2 months to 6 months for them to settle in and "find" their true voices. My Saludas were unbelievably loud when I first got them, and now they are perfect. Give them time to break in and you'll find their sounds changing somewhat.

pow3rtr1p

screamkevin":2b2un452 said:
pow3rtr1p":2b2un452 said:

pow3rtr1p,

Remember, depending on how much you play, it'll take your new cymbals anywhere from 2 months to 6 months for them to settle in and "find" their true voices. My Saludas were unbelievably loud when I first got them, and now they are perfect. Give them time to break in and you'll find their sounds changing somewhat.
Thanks, Kevin.

I noticed that already the bell on the ride sounds far better than when I first bought it. I will of course give it its fair chance. If it doesn't get quiet enough by the time I break it, I will get something thinner. However, I don't plan on replacing it before it dies on me, no matter what.

VOLAR":w6u6730p said:
Tazdrummer":w6u6730p said:
SGarrett":w6u6730p said:
Yeah, #3 is pretty lame.

Every body needs more cymbals, unless your Terry Bozzieo then you have to many.