Really, what would you do????

dwtoast72

I'm stuck in a rut called the Army. Been stationed in Germany for the past 3.5 years, been deployed, in the field, in Kosovo now. My place is on the stage, damnit!!!!! I've only had the priviledge of playing in one band (unfortunately a coverband) for about 5 months and nothing since... German's won't want me playin withem' cause of my unpredictable schedule... What would you do in my situation???????????

Timekeep69

I was in a similar situation once. I was in the Navy during the first Persian Gulf war. Being a musician in the military is hard , especially if you're in a deploying command. How long until your EAOS? Are you planning on getting out or re-upping? I did the occasional jams while I was in but couldn't do anything serious until I got out.

drumshark

This probly wont help, but my old band teacher was elisted in Vietnam, but he played a few instruments (mainly sax) and because of that he got to be the militaries band and didnt have to fight.

drumsforlife

A lot of the branches of our military have concert bands or jazz bands representing them, but just because you're a military musician doesn't mean the gov't wouldn't need you to deploy. They send you where they need you, regardless of you being in the band or not. My dad was in the Navy, and he said they give you a choice what you want to do, but it rarely happens. My dad was from GA, so he put to be stationed in Warner Robins, or Dobbins in ATL. Where did they send him? Montana. Then England. Then finally Dobbins in ATL. What does this have to do with anything? Don't know. But I do know something that's happened to me twice now. Two years in a row I've gotten tickets to go see our fine service musicians in concert, and on both occasions the unit was deployed the day before the concert. Needless to say I decided not to stay and see their replacements. Usually they get high school concert bands to fill in. Somehow, I don't see a high school band comparing to the US Marines Ground Forces Band, or the Navy Jazz Band, or something of the like. I once thought of joining the Navy to become a member of the band, but I had a mental disorder that required medication at the time, and the recruiter advised that I seriously think about it. So I didn't sign up, and haven't looked back since. My whole attitude is this: I support our troops. They put their lives on the line, everyday. They spend ungodly amounts of time away from their loved ones. I think that our servicemen and women should be paid more. There's no reason athletes who, at the most could end up with a broken limb, and in extreme cases, their neck, should be getting paid more than those who go to work in the morning not knowing if they'll return or not. That being said, on the flipside of things, I'm tired of hearing that our troops are fighting for OUR freedom. It's a lie plain and simple.

Didn't mean to jump on a soapbox, so take it easy on me?

Timekeep69

You typically need to re-enlist to join any military band. I put in to audition for the Navy Band rate but they wanted me to re-up so I din't bother with it.

dwtoast72

I'm tired of hearing that our troops are fighting for OUR freedom. It's a lie plain and simple. Didn't mean to jump on a soapbox said:
I think you need to better explain this statement. You said you support the troops, then you said what I quoted......

dwtoast72

Timekeep69":30uajqs5 said:
You typically need to re-enlist to join any military band. I put in to audition for the Navy Band rate but they wanted me to re-up so I din't bother with it.
not re-enlisting!! period!! I'm workin on my 3rd desert deployment next summer!! # deployments in 1 enlistment period is abit much

SGarrett

dwtoast72":1q61jrbq said:
I think you need to better explain this statement. You said you support the troops, then you said what I quoted......
I think he means that we aren't currently fighting for American freedom in Iraq, we're fighting for Iraqis to have the lazy way out of winning their own independence. The real problem is still Osama. But this is a drum forum, not a political one so lets leave those opinions at the door.

dwtoast72

SGarrett":3f83sdso said:
dwtoast72":3f83sdso said:
I think he means that we aren't currently fighting for American freedom in Iraq, we're fighting for Iraqis to have the lazy way out of winning their own independence. The real problem is still Osama. But this is a drum forum, not a political one so lets leave those opinions at the door.
so.........anything for the topic???

BillRayDrums

Didn't realize there were so many active duty in here. THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE. My grandfather was a Marine.

The best thing you can do is finish this part of your life, keep your tools sharp (practice when/where you can) then you retire from military life and collect your $$$ while starting something new and that should include a band. I play with many retired military guys (San Diego is a major port) and that's exactly what they did.

You'll get to that day, I promise. :)

drumsforlife

dwtoast72":2ipgffap said:
Sorry if my statement seemed a bit ambiguous. (is that how you spell that?) Anyway, to better explain, irregardless of whether or not I agree with the circumstances behind this war in Iraq, I support our troops. I know that seems like I'm contradicting myself, but it's my attitude. I grew up with my dad gone for long periods of time, and before I was born, my mom traveled with him where-ever he went. So if you detect a bit of cynacism(again with the spelling, I'm terrible at it), you're more than likely right. But my overall attitude is respect for those who have fought and died for our freedom, and those who continue to do so. I didn't mean to imply that simply because one joins the military he/she wouldn't be fighting for freedom, but as usual, I opened my mouth wide and let things fly. I'm aware that not all of our troops are in Iraq, and I didn't mean to imply that I assumed such. You guys are doing a hell of a job, simply because you stare death in the face. My dad was in intelligence. He worked on an aircraft carrier. He's told me that the most action he's seen are the times when the pilots misjudge the landing, or the cable didn't catch and they had to take back off and circle around to try again.

As for your particular situation, I guess the only thing to do would be to keep practicing and try to get some jams together. Hang in there man, I'm sure things will pick up. And sorry again on the confusion. I have a lot of attitudes that seem contradictory, I a musician! One minute I'm rational, the next I'm totally irrational!

Timekeep69

I'm sorry if I don't go along with the popular thought of this war but our troops ARE fighting for our freedom. Osama bin Laden and Mahmoud Abahjindad (however you spell his name) want to make a world wide Caliphate. They belive that the only way for their to be peace in the world is if the entire world is muslim.

Abahjindad also believes in the 12th Imam who disappeared hundreds of years ago and believes that he will return only after a cataclysmic war. Unlike the Christian belief of Amregaddon where things are set into motion by God. These muslim believe that they can usher in the Imam's return by STARTING the war. Think about that and the fact that Iran is trying to go nuclear. Iran is also behind 90% of the insurgency in Iraq.

There is more at stake in this war thatn people realize.

drumsforlife

didn't mean to get off topic though. sometimes i'm the worst at staying on track. which is why i work at a radio station where i only do about 10 minutes of real work per hour. go figure.

dwtoast72

BillRayDrums":11ou655q said:
Didn't realize there were so many active duty in here. THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE. My grandfather was a Marine.

The best thing you can do is finish this part of your life, keep your tools sharp (practice when/where you can) then you retire from military life and collect your $$$ while starting something new and that should include a band. I play with many retired military guys (San Diego is a major port) and that's exactly what they did.

You'll get to that day, I promise. :)
good words, bro....not retiring, though....just getting out after 6 years...no pension

BillRayDrums

Martybabes":3hkblupb said:
Drop LSD... not bomb's
That may work in Newcastle but over here in the USA....were LSD legal we'd be in a huge spot of trouble. Not only would it be completely commercialized and oversold, we would have our drivers attempting to pick up and drop off kids while on the stuff.

zen_drummer

While it's true that I generally don't endorse the way in which DWToast defends his choice in drums, at the expense of all other possibilities, I do feel the need to step in here and comment on the soldier/policy bashing that took place on this thread.

To say that it's a lie that we're fighting for American Freedom in the persian gulf shows a complete lack of understanding of the military process...

Military operations take place when diplomatic attempts have eroded to the point where the only option remaining is to "uninstall" an existing government and set into motion the process by which a nation can recover and rebuild with a new governing body that is not comitted to the deployment of irrational diplomacy.

The war in the middle east is a complex one, with many ramifications on the home front. The outcome of the conflict can and will have far-reaching consequences both financially and historically. Further, the war is a unified action wherein we are working alongside our U.N. Allies towards a common goal.

When we fight in the Middle East, we are indeed fighting to ensure our lasting freedom as well as the collective freedoms of our united allies.

With that being said, I am not a fan of war... I also do not care for brussels sprouts... But I can guaranfreekintee you that if I was starving, I would not turn away a steaming heap of the nasty little cabages. I would prefer not to have my personal dislikes lead to my eventual demise, and starvation doesn't make any more sense to me than to choose to NOT fight when all diplomacy has failed. Sometimes, it IS the only remaining option.

And this war that has become so popular to bash is like no other war that has ever been waged. This is what military experts call a MOUT (Military Operation on Urban Terrain) and the nature of such a conflict really puts the individual warfighter at an elevated risk at ALL times. Civilians and Insurgents share the same space. They are not in uniform and they do not identify themselves. They hide-out in crowds and can attack at a moments notice and they do so with extremely cheap and HIGHLY effective improvised weapons.

A soldier in such a conflict is on elevated alert at all times. His or her life is at risk continually. They are not just fighting for their freedom, they are fighting for their lives and they DO so because it is what needs to be done. They do so because they are preserving freedom in MANY parts of the world with this process.

These are the very same freedoms that give people the right to voice their opinions without fear of retribution. I don't think it is in any way right to bash the participants in this conflict or to condemn the policies that put us there... but as I have stated, you have the undeniable right to do so.

But when you DO choose to voice your incredibly uneducated opinion about the war, make sure you end your comment with a word of thanks to the very individuals that are out there fighting the war that you condemn, because those are the guys that are putting themselves at risk 24/7 in an effort to ensure your right to criticize them.

trstn

1. I'm a officially accredited conscientious objector (20 years ago) in my country, a few may know that we have mandatory military service here.

2. I know a bunch of persian people living here who frequently visit iran and those are nice, hard working people, hehe, more "german" than I am ... :) They just don't eat pork nor drink any alcohol. BTW theres a common misconception in the gulf area, that german people will die when not drinking any alcohol, LOL!! thats true I swear ,, :D

3. I have no really opinion about the war, except that US troops are actually helping. And I don't really want to know what the real reasons are for this war. Don't throw "terrorism" and such at me, that's propaganda.

4. A LOT of fake and plain wrong information, myths and stories are spread about the situation in Iraq and about Islam in general and also about the fighting troops down there (there's this video on break where a sniper nearly gets killed... makes me shiver!) Stubborn personal views do not help ether.

and back to topic :)
I think you may find germans who are willing to play a session, hang a note in the supermarket, put a message in the local city magazine, explain your situation. In the city where I live is a musician initiative.
Too bad you're so far away, I'd invite you for a session with me playing base (with barbecue and some Beck's :D ) If you care to drive up to the far north and play with some weirdos for a weekend write me a PM. Would be a experience for both, we never met an actual soldier. What style do you prefer? :)

hopefully nobody is offended, I did not mean to.
trstn