Reading Music...

mead50

How important is it?

I'm barely learning, i've been playing for 10 months and i've been fine without reading music, I just play what I feel

Should I learn?

boyd_s

Yes, definitely learn to read music. If you plan to go anywhere with your music, reading music is essential. I would also suggest learning a bit of music theory as well as it helps tremendously as well in the long run.

mead50

boyd_s":le3c531h said:
Yes, definitely learn to read music. If you plan to go anywhere with your music, reading music is essential. I would also suggest learning a bit of music theory as well as it helps tremendously as well in the long run.
theory?...wut about music theory, isnt it just reading music or wut theory can i use on drum set?

i just got treble clef notes down i think

in between the lines its f.a.c.e.
and on the lines its e.g.b.d.f right?

vincemie

reading drum notation is different than reading notation for anything else. when reading music for the drum set the bars and spaces are broken down into parts of the drum kit, ( hi hats, snare drum, kick drum, toms etc...) while in any other form, they are broken down into melodic note values, ( a, b, c, d, e, g ) i think when mentioning music theory he meant the many many many many other applications of music theory other than just reading drum music.

mute

it's not necessary. you can certainly get away without it and many do. depends on what your goals are

christopherabruce

Yes you should. The more you play and get involved in music, the more opportunities will come your way, and some will require some level of reading skills.

mead50":qqa9jx5f said:
How important is it?

I'm barely learning, i've been playing for 10 months and i've been fine without reading music, I just play what I feel

Should I learn?

mute

Jimbob2020":2aflwwf7 said:
mute":2aflwwf7 said:
it's not necessary. you can certainly get away without it and many do. depends on what your goals are
can you?
me personally? yes. many others? also yes.

i guess what i mean is that, in answer to the original question "how important is it?", it depends on what your goals are. for some goals, it's very important. for others, completely irrelevant.

mead50

yea, i dont think i need to learn to read....i think the only oppurtunity i got to making it big or something is with a band, and im pretty good and learning stuff just by seeing it or hearing it

i dont think ill make it big by being a pro drummer =[...i think i started to late to do that

vincemie

mead50":2hd04plh said:
yea, i dont think i need to learn to read....i think the only oppurtunity i got to making it big or something is with a band, and im pretty good and learning stuff just by seeing it or hearing it

i dont think ill make it big by being a pro drummer =[...i think i started to late to do that
just dont count it out man...its an extremely useful tool, its not just about learning songs. it will help you a great deal and its not very hard to learn the basics of reading. once you do you'll have more options to learn more things about drumming. think about it for a second, if you learn to read you can pick up books and learn from them without paying for a teacher, you can learn new grooves from the internet instead of paying a teacher 60 bucks an hour to show you something you can read in 5 seconds. dont count it out look in the lessons section here alan posted a great primer on reading music

cableman26

Why ask yourself what don't I have to learn? Why not ask yourself what can I learn? Why be limited when you don't have to be. This world is full of half-assers, don't be one of those.

sapazi13

vincemie":26cgipm0 said:
reading drum notation is different than reading notation for anything else. when reading music for the drum set the bars and spaces are broken down into parts of the drum kit, ( hi hats, snare drum, kick drum, toms etc...) while in any other form, they are broken down into melodic note values, ( a, b, c, d, e, g ) i think when mentioning music theory he meant the many many many many other applications of music theory other than just reading drum music.
Just check out a drum tab for instance... it just tells you in the beginning of each line what that part of the drum kit is... and you just piece it together. http://www.drumtabs.org/ for instance.

mead50

cableman26":3ltp3jmm said:
Why ask yourself what don't I have to learn? Why not ask yourself what can I learn? Why be limited when you don't have to be. This world is full of half-assers, don't be one of those.
thats very true...thanks for advice/inspiration :D

cableman26

mead50":3us58yzv said:
cableman26":3us58yzv said:
thats very true...thanks for advice/inspiration :D
You bet. Learning drums for me is a journey. One of which I know I'll never complete, but I don't think anyone will. But I enjoy learning something new everyday. If like me your in this thing for the long haul, might as well learn all of it you can.

boyd_s

Also learning theory as a way to understand what other musicians are talking about. It has helped me sooo many times. Plus, learning how music works like it does and why can only help you become a better musician. In my mind, learning to read music is only a benefit.

mmmmdrums

you can definitely get away with not knowing theory or how to read music

but if you have the opportunity you should definitely take it

it makes a lot of things easier to understand and you aren't just the "stupid drummer"

I say take advantage and learn as much as you can, it will only help you further yourself as a musician and expand your horizons