Re-boot stay @ home VS. Gigger

okjohne

Kinda got of on a tangent me thinks. Lets look at it from the pros and cons. Face it, sometimes it is not possible to gig. To young, new family, work or service commitment and on. From the perspective of a person who is gigging and involved in multiple creative projects that sometimes, I wish I could just play in the basement for a couple months. It's hard to find the time to pursue personal achievement and advancement when I'm always learning the new song, helping to arrange material or rehearsing the new set. Makes me want to take some time off. Then if you just stay home it's hard to maintain your feel. I mean it's just you. No feed back no real time feel.

just sayin

TheLoneGunman

I'm always looking to find gigs because I gotta get money. And in KC, the only paying gigs are cover band gigs, so I'm always learning new covers and it's somewhat frustrating because I'd ideally like to make my own music and do my own thing, but if I'm not bringing in money, the honey aint lettin my butt out of the house, lol. But I just recently discovered a jazz jam that goes on during the weekends from 1am-6am. So I can hit that after the gigs, and be as creative and free as I'd like.

But in imo there's really no home vs gigger. I play lot's of gigs, I play lot's at home. No matter the situation I find myself in my drumming career, I really just enjoy playing the drums. Anytime I'm playin no matter where I am, or what I'm playin, I'm happy.

Alan_

amen to wanting to have more time to practice at home. I play or record at least 4 nights every week in addition to holding down a full-time job. that's a lot of playing, and it doesn't leave a lot of time for sitting down and practicing.

Drumosaurus

seriously? you guys wish you had time to practice? I would give all my practice time just to be able to have band practice and play shows all the time.

Alan_

you're young. you NEED to practice NOW. it's all about muscle memory development, and the younger you do it, the more of your life you're going to have to develop an aesthetic and style.

TOTEMdrum

I wish I was able to practice at home. I am in grad school and live in an apartment, so no drums there :( . I love playing gigs and practicing with the band, but sometimes I have to find time to show up to our practice space early to work on stuff by myself. My drum pad is my only saving grace at home (and some pillows for toms :D )