RadioActive Neon Green Acrylic Kit

m

very cool kit!
MM, yeah?

how's about telling us a little about your experiences w/ acrylic? I know a lot of folks are curious about how they sound and how durable they are.

great-looking kit!

DrumFiend0206

Damn, those do look really sick. And you have to tell us how they sound. I've been thinking about ordering some parts, and assembling my own acrylic kit, cause I LOVE the look of them. I know that they're louder than wood drums, but what other kinda sound do you get outta them?

DrumHead15

IMHO. They sound great. Like all drums it starts with tuning. I worked for a few years (4) with my builder (MM) to get the right bearing edge for acrylic. For me it was 30-35 degree, more of a rounded over Savannah sound. I am really happy with the sound. Not overall ringy like a double 45 edge. I plan to switch tom heads when I have the time to actually do it. These are some stock Attack that my builder prefers but I do not. The thing is that they still sound amazing. I did switch the batter BD to a SuperKick 2. Everyone who has played them asks the same Q, why switch heads. I think it is a testiment to our research on the bearing edge and acrylic shells. We went with a thicker shell (1/4), shallow sizes, 6x13 snare, 5x8, 6x10, 7x12, 8x14 and 17x20, offset lugs.

Acrylic set number 2 is under construction: modified Bonham, Optical Yellow Acrylic (Tennis Ball). 26"BD and shallow large toms, 14, 16, 18. maybe 9x14, 12x16, 14x18.

DrumHead15

I just grabbed the first few I saw and put them up for these pic's. I forgot that I had the Bell ride. What a great ride sound. I am very lucky to have collected them for a while now. I have found some great deals on eBay. My collection is ridiculous now.
Thanks again.

Timekeep69

Very nice!

Just to avoid any confusion and misdirected props, Dana Cheney built that kit. We're partners in Medicine Man Custom Dums.

DrumHead15

xdoseonex":q6lqz3ti said:
are thse neon green drumheads?
No, just clear heads, the shells provide all of the green. I have some special strobe lights to put into each drum for a cool lighting effect. I just have not had the time to load them up yet.

affie":q6lqz3ti said:
:D
man thats kit looks so good! how much did it end up costing you making it?
I don't remember the exact cost now. Probably a couple of grand per kit five years ago. I paid for both kits a the time. When I commission kit I always pay it all up front. That way the shop/builder will typically do a better/faster job. My guy has had some delays due to health issues, so this took a great deal longer to build. Plus we collaborated on all aspects of the design, so we had to send samples back and forth especially the bearing edges.

FiestyRedDrummEr

great kit. you should put some black heads on it. would look sick. I'm more of an old skool girl and i like bich shells. but I think it looks wicked. and I want one.

racefan33

Frikin' gorgeous!!!

Is it louder than a wood kit? What's the sustain like?

I have one acrylic drum it's the Pork Pie 13 x 7 snare and it's a killer.