rack tom stands

MeekaFlow

tom stands for 4 pieces. Iv seen rack toms held up by/connected to a cymbal stands. and was gonna check them out. How much do they run for? where can i get them? whats so great about them?

SGarrett

Price depends on what brand you buy, but generally $20-30 if I remember correctly. You can get them at GC, MusiciansFriend.com, SamAsh, etc. and most likely your local drum shop. What's "great" about them is that it's one less stand to worry about.

FelterSkelter

Another great thing is that it makes for more optimal tom placement. Plus I understand that mounting anything on your kick will warp your shell.

dwtoast72

FelterSkelter":2r5x53dj said:
Another great thing is that it makes for more optimal tom placement. Plus I understand that mounting anything on your kick will warp your shell.
not necessarily, for YEARS drummers have been mounting rack toms to bass drums. The reason why they've gotten away from it has nothing to do with warping kick drums. It's better hardware systems coming out that allow you to get away from mounting to the bass and anywhere you want. Which opens the bass drum up. Imagine choking a cymbal after striking it. You're mounted toms are essentially doin the same thing, just at a much lower freq.

galgano16

another good thing is tht without them being mounted on the kick with the tom holder stuck inside, the sound of the kick wont b distorted or manipulated in any way without the holder inside

SGarrett

Steve Gadd's toms are still mounted to his kick. I've never heard anyone say his kick sounds dead or distorted. :)

Martybabes

SGarrett":1hyfcqnh said:
Steve Gadd's toms are still mounted to his kick. I've never heard anyone say his kick sounds dead or distorted. :)
that's because of technilogical advances, yamaha have done extensive reseaech etc, and have found the perfect place for tom mount etc, with out effecting the sound, something like that.

SGarrett

It's more that the surface area of the drum is large enough that it's not effected much or so the major companies have told me.

anavrinIV

Martybabes":3e5420bb said:
SGarrett":3e5420bb said:
that's because of technilogical advances, yamaha have done extensive reseaech etc, and have found the perfect place for tom mount etc, with out effecting the sound, something like that.
yamaha has done some research, expecially with their yess mounts, but toms can still choke the bass drum. honestly, though, its not a huge difference and if youre miced you probably wont notice.