Quotes from Buddy Rich ?

dave lynch

I hear how much of a jerk Buddy was, but overall he didn't seem to be all that bad...Jeezz I have folks I jam with and have met folks throughout the years that can beat em all...I would like to hear some quotes of Buddy being an asshole...I mean real stuff, not just being a bit cocky...not to say he wasn't, but let's see some real quotes..This could be interesting..!!

dave lynch

Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers.

dave lynch

dave lynch":w48ewox2 said:
Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers.
Whooops..That was a cocky quote..!!

Atmerrill

dave lynch":2hnixooi said:
I hear how much of a jerk Buddy was, but overall he didn't seem to be all that bad...Jeezz I have folks I jam with and have met folks throughout the years that can beat em all...I would like to hear some quotes of Buddy being an asshole...I mean real stuff, not just being a bit cocky...not to say he wasn't, but let's see some real quotes..This could be interesting..!!
Hey Dave,

Sorry to be a wet blanket on you here, but I really wish we could celebrate BR for his skills on the drums, not the degree to which he was an a**hole. It’s pretty well documented what a prick he could be, and I know folks who worked with him that if you mention his name they get real pissed still. And, of course there’s the rumor about there being two lines formed at his funeral: One to pay their respects inside and the other waiting to tap-dance on his grave. All in all, a sad commentary for someone of such skill and excellence on the drums.

Regards,

dave lynch

Atmerrill":3cyp5wwq said:
dave lynch":3cyp5wwq said:
Hey Dave,

Sorry to be a wet blanket on you here, but I really wish we could celebrate BR for his skills on the drums, not the degree to which he was an a**hole. It’s pretty well documented what a prick he could be, and I know folks who worked with him that if you mention his name they get real pissed still. And, of course there’s the rumor about there being two lines formed at his funeral: One to pay their respects inside and the other waiting to tap-dance on his grave. All in all, a sad commentary for someone of such skill and excellence on the drums.

Regards,
Thanks, but it seems that he always is know as an asshole..So many musicians were and are jerks along with so many regular folks these days...It seems that these days it's almost normal to be a jerk..so why does Buddy have to go down as such a jerk ? Jeeezz man..I'm not gonna name names, but there are a hell of alot more idiots these days that have nearly distroyed the world as we know it and so many folks are concerned that buddy was a jerk...In my myspace pics under drums a pic shows Buddy kissen Frank De Vito..I'm sure he had a fun and good side to him !!!

king_friday

my understanding is, if you knew him on a personal level, he was a good guy. but i guess if you worked with him, he was a real hardass.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

Yea...i feel ya atmerril but as much as buddy is an influence to me and as many interviews, articles, tv specials,etc. that I've seen...knowing what kind of hilarious sense of humor buddy had.. i bet he'd get a kick out of a thread like this one. :) shogun

Homki890

All this hype for a man who couldn't read a lick of music. He really has been one of the few great aficionados at drumming. He would also fire people halfway through gigs, on stage even. I don't know of any quotes, but there might be something on the West Side Story tapes.

Homki890

JAdrums2k

"I think the drummer should sit back there and play some drums, and never mind about the tunes. Just get up there and wail behind whoever is sitting up there playing the solo. And this is what is lacking, definitely lacking in music today. " - BR

There's tons of quotes out there. It seems like each one contradicts the other.... as long as you read the whole quote.

I'm glad that he played in the era that he did... if he played these days with this media we'd all have his head on a skewer waiting for a train wreck.

People can't speak their mind anymore. No one's allowed to have an opinion that isn't popular.... at least publicly.

He did what he wanted, played what he wanted, and said what he wanted, and didn't care what anyone thought. That made him genuine. These days it makes you an a**hole....

Try that these day and you'll find a raging picture of yourself beneath Britney Spears' bald head and cellulite snapshots on the cover of every rag in the world.

These quotes for example:

"As far as music school goes. I walked through Berkeley one time to visit with some people I know. "

further down the page....

"But, I don't think any arranger should ever write a drum part for a drummer because if a drummer can't create his own Interpretation of the chart and he plays everything that's written, he becomes mechanical; he has no freedom."

and at the BOTTOM of the page...

"But I think that any young drummer starting out today should get himself a great teacher and learn all there is to know about the instrument that he wants to play."

I would love to have been able to hang w/ Buddy for a while... I probably would have learned more in that few minutes than I have in this many years.

Atmerrill

JAdrums2k":103a8lzd said:
"I think the drummer should sit back there and play some drums, and never mind about the tunes. Just get up there and wail behind whoever is sitting up there playing the solo. And this is what is lacking, definitely lacking in music today. " - BR

There's tons of quotes out there. It seems like each one contradicts the other.... as long as you read the whole quote.

I'm glad that he played in the era that he did... if he played these days with this media we'd all have his head on a skewer waiting for a train wreck.

People can't speak their mind anymore. No one's allowed to have an opinion that isn't popular.... at least publicly.

He did what he wanted, played what he wanted, and said what he wanted, and didn't care what anyone thought. That made him genuine. These days it makes you an a**hole....

Try that these day and you'll find a raging picture of yourself beneath Britney Spears' bald head and cellulite snapshots on the cover of every rag in the world.
Hey JA,

Great post...you said it well.

Buddy said something once in an interview that always stuck in my mind:

"Someone oughta separate the word "music" from music-business. The music business is a multi-billion dollar industry that has very little to picking up your instrument and playing. It's about fads, gimmicks, and "how many records can you sell?" It's about promotion and advertising. It's about stuff that detracts from the joy of playing and making you want to do it night after night."

edbnyus

A true story.

The 1st time I saw him play it just so happened that my Mother and sister drove by the venue and saw him standing outside his trailer. I guess they said hello to him and he was fairly nice. Unfortunately, I was already inside. :)

I, too, concentrate on his playing not his personality.

dave lynch

m":2a56212w said:
these are some of the infamous 'rant' recordings most folks have probably already heard:

http://www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/buddy_rich.htm

not 'work safe' at all!

note the paragraph 'on the positive side' also
Thanks...I asked for and I got it..Like Atmerrill said " I really wish we could celebrate BR for his skills on the drums, not the degree to which he was an a**hole. It’s pretty well documented what a prick he could be "

Thanks Atmerrill...!!

BLS2112

Met him when I was 13 years old...
The Orchestra was playing at our high-school auditorium...
We (band class) were carted from the junior-high to the school to help set-up music stands and such...
He walks up and asks "Who the best drummer out of you brats?"...Everyone pointed at me...
I was "told" (Kind of "harshly" I must admit...lol) by "the man" himself to sound-check his drums...
Scared the SHIT out of me...He WAS the reason I played really...I almost barfed...
So I played a bit of "Big Swing-Face" and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"...
Then he played and...Well...He was ****ing Buddy...lmao
All and all...He was really nice...Seriously... :|
Short, blunt, a little "rough" however very "real"...And funny around us kids...
Very helpful...
Furthermore...And said to me, "Good playing kid, but you rely way too much on rebound!"
(He was really referring to "bouncing" I believe...Sort of confused me at first.)...Turned my playing around...He was 100% correct...
I also work with a guy who played in his band at one time...Jack says he was really good to work for as long as you "cut-it"...
As well as have worked with a sax player that was fired by Buddy...And he says he was young, lazy and "deserved" it...lol
To me it just sounds as if Buddy was just an extreme perfectionist...
I'll remember "the man" for "that day" and not the "he said, she said" crap...
So...I vote he WASN'T an ass-hole... :wink:
Just a "no-bullshit" guy...

All the best...Barrie

JAdrums2k

Atmerrill":11fdine7 said:

"Someone oughta separate the word "music" from music-business. The music business is a multi-billion dollar industry that has very little to picking up your instrument and playing. It's about fads, gimmicks, and "how many records can you sell?" It's about promotion and advertising. It's about stuff that detracts from the joy of playing and making you want to do it night after night."
I remember that quote...
sooner or later every working musician comes to a point where they realize how true that statement is & that's when they truly start to develop their own style.

BLS2112

JAdrums2k":374g8n02 said:
Atmerrill":374g8n02 said:

I remember that quote...
sooner or later every working musician comes to a point where they realize how true that statement is & that's when they truly start to develop their own style.
The statement is hideously and perpetually true... :cry:

B

Mikkey

"God told me the sixth commandment was 'Thou shalt play drums.' " Nahhh, that'd be sweet if one of those classic drummers uttered that one.

After years of reading drum publications like Modern Drummer, I've come to the conclusion that most drummers as well as most musicians in general are quite inarticulate and have trouble forming coherent thoughts. If the drummer is good at what he/she does or drums with a different spin than what is currently hemogeneous, then I couldn't care less about their "quotables". I find when I read these drumming publications that when forced to explain their drumming, most drummers don't know how to express what they do in words. That's fine. All they have to do is express what they do so well in drumming terms and by simply going through the motions.

Most of the greats in music had some type of ego to varying degrees, so it doesn't say much that some people think Buddy Rich is an asshole. I'd say the same for Jaco Pastorius. I love Jaco, but anyone who introduced himself to other bassists in the 70s with the winning line, "Hi I'm Jaco Pastorious...THE BEST BASSIST IN THE WORLD", has got a serious ego trip. Even though Jaco and Clarke are probably my favorites, there were plenty of other good/noteworthy bassists in that time period.

And yet another problem musicians tend to have is separating their music persona from who they really are independent of their music. I see this constantly in all genres. Time after time seeing the fans and the band members meet, and the band members are less than affable and only really care about their music persona image and can't communicate on a normal basis. I'm always shocked when I meet musicians after they've played and they're a funny person or they actually listen to what you are saying and can have a conversation.

quikstang2

I dunno man, after hearing and reading all these "bad things" about Buddy, I like him and respect him a whole lot more as a person. I'm the same way with the things I do, even with drums which is my fun, no pressure hobby. He was the best for a reason: He WANTED to be the best and he settled for nothing short of being better than the best.
I bet he chewed himself out 10 times worse every time he chewed someone else out. Taking everything this seriously isn't fun, but when you get out there and do everything right and it all clicks, you forget everything you went through to get there and you only remember that moment. That's when it's fun beyond belief.
I don't think this is a bad thread at all. It's just another way to learn from Buddy. You can see HOW he plays, and now we're seeing WHY he was able to make himself play that way.

As for my input on the quotes, I don't know that he was being a jerk when he said this but I know there's people out there that would take offense to it:
"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." -Buddy Rich

rlrrll

Mel Torme wrote a great biography on Buddy. They were close friends. The impression I got was that Buddy was prone to extreme mood swings, leading me to think that he suffered from bi-polar disorder or manic-depressive disorder. There are stories in the book of his overwhelming generosity one one day, and the his extreme anger and pettiness on the next. It's worth checking out.

rlrrll

goatatl

IMHO, one of, if not the finest drummers ever. A-hole, certainly on occasion; Perfectionist, always. That whole "blowing clams" rant always makes me laugh. I'm sure he was just trying to raise the bar, which is something we should probably all aspire to.