Question!

AaronBland

The first kit that you listed would probably be better for a "practice kit". You could get the configuration more like your acoustic kit. Also, it provides more sounds, chokable cymbals and some built in features (metronome, songs ect.) that can keep you interested in practicing for longer periods of time. Going electric is a good way to be if you live where there might be sound restrictions. I love to play mine at 2am. You never know when you will get the urge...

pasta

If you're a serious drummer, you'll very quickly outgrow the 2nd one.
One thing you'll notice with all the lower-line kits (less than a TD-12 module and Roland VH-11 hi hat or Hart E cymbal II hi hat) is the hi hats do not come close to the feel of acoustics. This is hard for some people to get past. I'd suggest you do a lot of research before you purchase. Check out www.vdrums.com for lots of expertise on Hart, Roland and other E drums.

pasta

The second kit doesn't have adjustable pedals. Not a good idea because you have to adjust your body to the kit rather than the other way around.
I liked the Traps after the conversion (did you see that thread?). I still think getting a used kit will give you so much more value. That red one I linked on the website--I really would buy it (after all I've learned on the site the past 8 months) if I didn't have my Harts . I like the way the DIY kits can look so acoustic. There are other companies like RET and SpaceMuffins/Boom Theory that make kits that look very acoustic (also some of the guy on that site) but they are very pricy. Hope you get something you are happy with. It's very difficult to do that with E drums and not spend a fortune unless you DIY.

Lancelot Frosty

Thanks Pasta.
I'm considering either that red DIY kit you showed me, or an acoustic traps kit.
I'll just get mutes for the traps kit if I get it...
All I know is that I want a set that I can practice on without pissing my neighbors off.

pasta

The bad thing about those on an acoustic is they don't feel very much like playing drums. The cool thing about an acoustic to E conversion is you can always convert it back. Just slap some mylar heads on it--you can go back and forth. Do some research on cymbals if you buy that red DIY kit. Look at Smart Triggers, Harts and Rolands and check the forum to see pros and cons of each brand. And you'll need to figure out which module. Make sure you get one that has enough inputs for the number of drums and cymbals you have. I was thinking about a TD-6V module when I was looking and then realized it wouldn't have enough inputs for the GigaPro I wanted. Let un know what you end up with.

Lancelot Frosty

Thanks again Pasta. :D
Here's the thing. I know close to diddlysquat when it comes to electric kits.
I just want something that I can get and start practicing on.
That, and an electric kit is gonna cost more than an entire Traps kit already.
Thanks everyone.